Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

How would you spend $75k to start up

+3
ACpower1
milspec6
Devon07
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How would you spend $75k to start up  Empty How would you spend $75k to start up

Post by Devon07 Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

How would you spend $75k to start up your carpet company?...if you dont spend it you dont get it! just for the business!

What equipment? ...budget out this money....you can use an amount for advertising. Just want to see how we would all differ if at all.  ready? ....go!   coctail
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

How would you spend $75k to start up  Empty Re: How would you spend $75k to start up

Post by milspec6 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:14 pm

From the outside inward.

Marketing first and working my way back to the equipment. I did it the other way around with 52k and wasted a lot of it before I realized what I really needed.....a ringing phone!

As for the specifics, something like this:

30k on marketing at the start
30k on truck and machine
15k on equipment

Marketing would include uniforms, van logos, website, and radio campaigns, bumper / window stickers.

We have a tattoo shop in this area that started out just getting teens to place their name on bumpers and back windows in exchange for services. I must have seen that name and logo for 6 months before ever finding out what the place really was.

The one thing it did was become a household name and in 2 years, he now owns 3 shops and large bar that has become a local favorite. Pretty well done.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

How would you spend $75k to start up  Empty Re: How would you spend $75k to start up

Post by ACpower1 Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:13 pm

ya I would also focus a good amount of that on marketing but very carefully.

equipment matters but its nothing without the phone ringing.

I would buy a nice van that has a newer look to it, sprinter/nissan NV really helps with image. Ive been seeing some nice ones for around 17-20k.

Then a nice but not ridiculous TM, probably brand new for around 10-12k

I would buy a cimex probably used in good condition if possible

Then get a good HD camera and start producing some really nice videos, pictures speak a thousand words, videos are 100x pictures lol

I would spend probably 1500-2000 on a really nice website with some solid SEO work, this is super important

I would go clean and somewhat minimal on the van wrap but again a newer vehicle, probably a jet black mercedes sprinter... those looks so damn good, saw one for 20k here drool

Most of the advertising money I would spend very slowly, and do mostly free advertising at first.

I would charge a bit less in the beginning, many studies show that with service businesses 95% of your customers cant remember what exactly they paid you last year or last time.... Im not saying go hack prices, but you cant charge high end money without an already established reputation, just enough to make good money and not kill yourself but also not sitting on the couch waiting for the phone to ring
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:58 pm

I live in a large rural town with some small town close by. Population in the metro area is about 250k.
YP is dead. Internet searches is small for CC. I've talked with a few that are top listings here.
I would look for a used rig for less than 10k, prefer more like 7-8k.
With a rotovac, a square scrub being the special toys inside. Maybe other?
-I would not be spending a lot in the beginning for work van\equip.
*I would start with flyer insert in the newspaper...6,000 for $600. I would have that done weekly hitting different areas over 2 mo, then repeat. So about 2 years of 24,000 hits each month=$48,000yr. Wouldn't do much of this in the winter months. So 10 months out of the year.
* do an eddm hitting neighborhoods that the flyers didn't reach. 500 every other week. So about $500 a month if I've remember the cost of how much to do that.
*buy spotter bottles. And give them way. Use youth groups to sell as a fundraiser, they keep all the $. Cost...$2.50 ea. Have on the bottle a $ off when cleaning is done. And free refills of course. Cost-$1000-1500
*do a specific campaign mailer to Dr, dentist, chiropractors, lawyers, and other professional offices. And daycares!! Cost...$200 mo
I would avoid restaurants! Unlike what I actually did in my beginning.
* I would connect with the local schools and do a promotion with sporting events. I donate a prize that is given away for a contest promotion: kick a field goal, make a 3 pointer... Totally a support the kids\communuty kinda thing. Cost $500-1000yr.
*support local food drive by collecting can food items.
*support local ALS, Alzheimer's events... Already do. My brother-in-law and co scout leader hit with these conditions:(
+ wouldn't do billboards, shopping carts, golf hole signs, church newsletters, school sports caladers, and all that other cr** telemarketing kinda calls I get!

So after 2 years of heavy flyers, postcards, and professional office targeting I would have spent = $77,500 or so. Oops, I over spent!?

And I would hire women to do the work and gain an advantage over the CC in town!!!
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Set aside 30K for a rookie tech

20K for Marketing sales and adverting

10K for used E3500

5k for additional toys I mean tools

10K in Reserves

Take a month vacation with all the extra income that 20k in advertising has generated
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:55 pm

No "reserves allowed"....have to spend it, but it looks like we were thinking in the same vein.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Just deducted $10k from Mo (sorry Mo) you guys have interesting ways of doing things. One thing around here that really pulls is the image...I hate it but it's true! It's a small community and they talk.....everyone wants the guy with the goods. You need to back it up too...I'm fortunate to have old clients asking for my return....I already have a retirement home connection set up.....the guy owns 16 homes. So, already looking like I will have work out of the gate....could have done a water damage today too. I'm leaning more on equipment instead of advertising. I will do news paper and inserts here and there.....send out postcards etc....word of mouth should be big if you're good. Remember I'm not looking to become big. one thing I hate is to miss work because of lack of equipment.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:51 pm

I wouldn't bother with print/mailing advo, it's dead.

Go with the internet stuff.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 pm

How's Yelp or Angie's List used in your area?

Popular/used by many, or not so much?????
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:01 pm

Never in my life have I used yelp or Angie's so have no idea. I'm a little lost in this area because when I got out yellow pages where still raping everyone.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Glad I don't have YP ads anymore but not sure where to turn....I can FB and do a website but still don't know who or where to go for the replacement.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Davey.... Advertising is way less competitive here so when it's done there are measurable results. I suspect Long Beach can get crowded with ads competing? Or they are big on the yelp, Angie thing?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Sounds like you got some researching to do. Unless you just got money to throw at things until one works?

Hell, I had an 83 year old man find me on Yelp today (the kind of person you would expect to still use the YP), but no, thangs have changed!!
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Oh I'll find what works! I guess I'm relaxed about it because I know key people to keep me busy.

It's interesting though.."what is everyone doing for making the phone ring?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:31 am

Darn it I just lost 10K. Can we just call it positive working capitol? It just goes against my nature to blow all that money
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:10 am

LOL...Mo! Thats funny....I am very entrepreneurial. My wife thinks im nuts. I have spent more money than I will ever admit to. Last year alone I have over $160k into something that I have worked on for 8 years and just now starting to see its returns. I thrive on what power money has....I love to see it create and build...so much so I have little if any fear...and ive lost a bunch of it.

But yes, you can keep the $10k but dont tell the others.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Judging by your last post Devon, I'm going to guess you don't fish?

Small markets function on word of mouth...well, actually small towns operate like a phone booth. You can't do anything without people talking and word spreads fast, good and bad.

What really works in a small town market is an accent. You show up in a small Midwestern town with an Australian accent or Scottish and you will be made Mayor in a week.

Having that anchor is a huge help both in exposure and stability, everything else will follow it in quick fashion.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:54 pm

I went deep sea fishing once and caught a pelican....not interested in fishing a bunch, I can at local ponds or lakes here and there and enjoy it, But my money is "ALL IN " on the entrepreneurial side. I know it sounds crazy but thats what I live for. I just picked up a huge dealer in Sweeden for my product. Wink and one here in the states. after 4 or 5 dealers its going to snowball.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:15 pm

I can really flourish in my smaller market with my background, passion for marketing and the fact Im OCD. not even kidding....this cleaning gig feeds my disorder. lol
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:39 pm

It does sound like you still have a great deal of passion for it.....that alone will drive success.

Don't forget us little people when you get there, I might need a job pulling hoses by then.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:05 am

I would find a used van and TM for about $ 30 k, no toys yet, a couple hundred bucks for chemicals and the rest on advertisements, if no reserves allowed, yes that's a boat load of $$ for advertisements, I used to spend over $ 10 k / month in advertisements to keep 3 vans busy back in the days when I had a partner, gotta have enough jobs / business to feed 2 families.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:54 am

I am an advertising nut, but with my market and all the usual same ole guys cleaning here with run down equipment and lack of service it wont take any real advertising(not being mean but its true)....my thoughts were to have the equipment to do what it takes to "WOW" my customer and word will travel fast. My reputation, although only 7 here, is good in my area wink ....when its understood Im back, I should have the phone ringing. With this being said.....how would you get the new phone number accessable?

My thoughts are to....run a display ad in the news paper even though its not very big here.

Do some inserts in the news paper a few times in select areas.

And as in the past I mail out postcards daily....maybe only 10 a day to homes I see while driving.....people working on homes, painting truck or work of some sort going on.

I have contacts with several Realtors and have friends in big businesses. I already have work but still waiting for equip.

My marketing efforts are needed to expose my phone number and show that im back and with new equipment of today. Im not even kidding when I say a local guy is using one of my old TM units from 10 years ago and it was beat up then.....I know it can be rebuilt BUT i know its not....he will run it till it breaks then fix whats broke. It was a smaller unit too...not much for power but was a slide in with ample heat.

Thoughts?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:27 am

Devon do you still have your client list or did you sell your company the last time you were in biz? Are you keeping the same name? Can you get your old phone number back?

What would be a good way to let your service area know your back? Newspaper insert, billboard, cable tv, EDDM???
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:33 am

I would be careful in notifying your old customers if you sold your business back then, if the current owner found out, you may end up in court, if you only sold your equipment and phone number, that would be different, but then again you don't live in sue happy state like we do, lol.
Personally my preference of notifying your old clients would be phone calls to your most loyal ones, personalized mail in an envelope to the rests. Post cards would just be too easy to miss or thrown out because they have a reputation of "junk mail" types, only cheap customers would go through them imo.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:31 pm

I sold the whole thing but he went under about a year after because he had some issues and is currently living in California....so, I can use anything I want....technically he still owes me $10k...so, Im not worried at all. Yes, I have my client base still and should be easy to get back in touch with diest mailings to them.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next