Latest topics
» Connection with the largest contractor in my area.
by Freemind1 Yesterday at 9:23 pm

» Repeat cust didn't pay !
by milspec6 Yesterday at 8:11 pm

» Another mess
by milspec6 Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:07 pm

» You know it is hot when you turn down jobs
by milspec6 Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm

» Why I was away
by milspec6 Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 pm

» Pressure washer help
by steamprony Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

» that's a 1st, ugh!
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 pm

» After a long winter
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

» Setting customer expectations.
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

» Adding on work while you are there.....
by Freemind1 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

» Happy Father's day !
by Mo Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

» Hi From Scotland
by milspec6 Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

» Thought on my pricing.
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

» any fishermen?
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 am

» Urine Stain Charges
by milspec6 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

I raised my rates.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I raised my rates.

Post by Devon07 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:47 am

When I started back into cleaning I wanted some work and for people to see my quality and to also create a buzz....I gave specials and did great work....I started hearing people make little comments about how "I" was the company to use.....etc! So, my rates weren't really discounted much but they were enough to get someone to bite...that was my focus! I knew if I impressed 50/75 people that it wouldn't take long to get the phone ringing....Ive done some EDDM as you guys know and it was successful, I did a small news paper ad and it failed when compared to my others....I haven't done much of anything lately and my phone is ringing. My Facebook seems to be the place that does the best. So, with little to NO advertising at this point I'm doing pretty good. I raised my rates and no one is complaining! So, I'm starting the year off with my new rates and wont budge. I'm @ .38/.42 firm. For this area that's good. All my other rates are raised as well...they know I'm here! I went to get my windshield replaced (rock cracked it) and the gal says, Ive been seeing and hearing you guys are good! My plumber says the same thing....A teacher from my sons School called and said I heard your the best around!....then she realized it was me and told me what she's been hearing. So, I made an impression. I can probably justify higher rates but don't want to jump all at once. I have 12 nice jobs in January so far and im getting into the better customers with my higher rates.

It felt really nice to get a call and the guy say, when can you meet me to give me some estimates on my rentals (he has over 200) I met with him and found out why he wanted to meet....he tried to say the other guys do it for this rate and wanted to drop my prices! I said you need to stick with them then....he admitted they sucked ....he asked if I would discount any if he used me exclusively.... I said No. He then said I admire you being strong and that is why the others fail. I do his properties now Wink I told him I would certainly be honest and if a unit was a simple clean, I would reflect it....but if it was bad...I would still reflect it in billing.

Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Re: I raised my rates.

Post by milspec6 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Sounds like you landed in the right market. In my area, 32-35 cents is the norm and I try to hold at 38 cents, but I really don't do that much residential.

That property manager is the same type that has been abusing contractors for years. He may say that he respects you now, but I suspect that there is more to it than you may know. These guys are always looking to insert a knife in your back to save a buck.....they don't change their MO (not you Mo) very often.

The point you make is a good one though, you have to stand up for yourself or you will get steam rolled on price. I do believe that kills off a lot of small businesses.
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:40 pm

pretty much my exact strategy Devon.

came onto Angies List with zero reviews. Put up a 1st storefront offer 159.00 for 4 rooms

it sold like crazy and my overhead was really low at the time, I think we sold about 270 of those deals which was nice back then because I needed work and doing 3/day was great when your costs are low.

Then each year since we slowly raised the prices until we reached a point where work flow is steady and prices are relatively high for the level of service we offer with those packages.

at 400+ reviews now
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:08 pm

Sweet AC. I did a special that was 3 rooms for $119 up to 400 sf....sold like hot cakes! The funny thing was they almost always added another 100/200 sf to the deal and it was at my regular rate....then I would work in a sofa or chair or carpet protection...almost always a nice ticket....very few were $119....But to me it was advertising, They paid while I advertised.it worked! over 400 reviews is impressive. Thats another thing....the companies here have a tenth of what I have now with respects to reviews and rave....they have been here longer....much longer. lol

One guy tried to beat me out of a bid by saying to the customer...huh! that guy is new! when actually he was a new employee at an older company and I was an old experienced worker at a new company. LMBO it got me the job and I didnt dog them...they did me!

Rob...Ive been around the block a time or two...This guy was put in his place with me was basically what I was trying to say...its like the Soup Nazi! lol if he wants me he will pay like the rest of the world...I don't care if he has over 200 rentals...I can only clean one at a time and keeping my schedule full doesn't seem to be a problem....so, I don't see any reason to give him the deal...if he becomes a great customer I can show some favoritism....but its earned. He respects me....its funny because there was a time I did some work for him (he doesnt remember me) and he was a jerk.....when I talked to him he was SHOCKED that I didnt kiss his butt like most of the people that work for him. I knew he could be an A** and I talked to him as such.

Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:38 pm

Yeah, some customers are just the bargaining type, I always stick to my gun too when dealing with them, one guy has 15,000 sq ft home, carpeted areas are a little over 2000 sq ft, I told him it's going to be $ 800+ he said I thought you guys charge $ 30 / room, he has like 8 carpeted rooms, I told him to call those $ 30 / room guys, he admitted that they suck, lol, he paid me, ha..ha...
I love it when they caved Very Happy
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum