Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Who wears glasses?

+2
milspec6
Devon07
6 posters

Go down

Who wears glasses? Empty Who wears glasses?

Post by Devon07 Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

I only need them to read but lately depending on the carpet im cleaning and the shadows etc....im thinking an eye check up! I cleaned an area and turned to do another area and when I went to connect the clean areas I thought....hmmm, that spot must of wicked back up....went to clean it and it wouldnt budge!....treated it and got it out....my problem was I left the area convinced it was ready to move on the the next area....then it wasnt!.....ive had a couple other little issues that make me question if my eyes are as good as they should be. Im second guessing and hope it was just bad lighting and shadows etc. you guys run into this any? you guys that wear glasses does this happen? sounds silly but I got a little frustrated knowing I could have easily left not realizing a spot that needed removed. maybe I just set the wand down and lost my tracking or something.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Who wears glasses? Empty Re: Who wears glasses?

Post by milspec6 Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 pm

One of my strengths in life was my eyesight. I was always one of the best shots in my Division largely due to having 20/15 vision. Then one day that started to change and change fast.

About a year ago, I noticed that I couldn't focus on the computer screen first thing in the morning enough to read the news, but it would clear up after breakfast.

Long story short, 2 months later I went in for a check-up and left with 20/30 and Glaucoma. Now it is 20/35 and I can't write a check without them and my shooting ability with the pistol is far more average than ever.

If you think there is reason for concern, then you are probably correct as you know yourself better than anybody. I still go most days without wearing glasses, but if I have to read something or have a task that requires some precision, then the glasses go on.

Sucks, but that is life. The eyesight declines for everyone.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Im not sure if I will need them...I do for reading but for cleaning will not be fun.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:32 pm

I would keep an eye on this a little further before going to have it checked, once in a great while I also missed spot/s, that's why I almost always do a walk through with the customer when we're done with the job before we wrap up to avoid having to re pull the hoses again.

And yes I agree, wearing glasses while cleaning is not fun, my step son wears them and he usually asks me to put his glasses in the van when he's cleaning and I kept asking him how are you going to see spots ? Lol.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:39 pm

I really suspect it being a shadow / lighting issue. but im due for eye check up anyway...I just cleaned carpets for my eye doctor anyway...might as well toss a buck back at him.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Milspec,

Glaucoma? Sounds like you might need a little medical pot. I wear glasses to read with not on the job unless it's close up work. Unfortunately age catches up with us all. Poor baby

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Funny thing about pot and glaucoma. Sure, it does reduce the pressures in your eyes, but so does alcohol and running...people always miss that part.

I'll pass on the first and increase the second. Cool
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:40 pm

Funny, I just got back from my eye appointment and read this first thing...Doc says nothing has changed since my last and im just fine...I think shadows have been the problem...winter days and darker outside. I did order some newer reading glasses.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:45 pm

How about all the floaters. Little opaque crap floating around. Got them too. poop

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Yea, I'll pass on the weed too. lol

My eye's are horrible, got tested awhile back and my vision is 20/150. Shocked
I've been near-sighted for awhile, but with age it's gotten a lot worse, and now my close to mid vision is bad also.

So I've have a prescription for bi-focals but have yet gotten the glasses I need. But it sounds like I'll be wearing them all the time once I get them............heck I can't even read the big ft. numbers on my tape measure anymore while standing up, when estimating a job anymore. I now have to bend over so my eyes are within 3-4 ft. to read it.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Aren't we all stubborn? I fought the idea of glasses and still only wear them when I read or need to do some writing. The rest of the time I still use my slightly blurred originals.

The funny part is that there are moments where I have perfectly clear vision. According to the doc, that is normal as we get older, but the eye muscles just can't hold them for long.

The glaucoma is no big deal, just have to take drops for it. I do get very dry eyes and I am slow to transition from dark to light and vice versa. When driving at night, the oncoming headlights can leave me really struggling to see from the glare.

The good part is that the drops make my eye lashes grow really long. A week doesn't go by before a woman will get jealous of them and tell me I am so lucky. Very Happy
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 pm

Tape measure??? I use the Bosch laser.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-glm15-50-ft--compact-laser-measure/bshnglm15,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=bshnglm15&gclid=COr1jrGno8oCFZOBaQodhjoCtA
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Yea I know, I'm old fashion that way.

Been a long time since I've used a laser one, but the one's I did try weren't accurate so I gave up on them.

Plus when I measure a furnished room I don't measure wall to wall. How do you compensate for that with the Bosch?
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 pm

I actually use this Bosch one and found it very accurate.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-dlr130k-digital-distance-measurer-kit/bshndlr130k,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=measuring-electronic-measuring

I don't have to compensate for furniture on commercial jobs, so I haven't needed to worry about it. It sure is useful determining the hose run distance from the front door.

I guess you could just use a flat 20% to account for the furniture or not all really. The guys that I worked for never discounted the space, just figured that it came out fair.....what you don't clean beneath, you still have to block and work around, so charging for that area seemed fair.

I guess I will have to decide on this myself now.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Nope...I charge per square foot and measure the whole room....I tell them I will move what ever they want....typically the don't want beds moved or dressers etc....some do but most don't...I may drop price a little based on ease....but I run close regardless if I move or not. If I do a room that has very little...like a narrow bedside or just really small, I don't measure it. Moving furniture isnt harder to me....its just as hard to go around everything and be careful etc. its a wash is what im trying to say...accurate?...very accurate with mine. I do run into it not reading far enough but then I hit a half way point then add the other.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 am

The last I got glasses they gave tri focols. I couldn't get used to it got me dizzy. Ill just stick to the cheapie reading glasses.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm

I used to use the laser type measuring tool but have switched to the Digi roller. It's much better because not all carpet goes wall to wall. Not all rooms are square etc. The roller calculates square footage for you etc. Been using it for years. People think you're a cop when they see it. Off Topic Hippo

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:58 pm

I used the roller tape measure for years...Im not on the knats A** with my measuring....I measure and at the end of the day....its will I do it for the price im going to tell them...honestly, we can measure two identical carpets and one soiled and more work with furniture etc....I price for the job....the measure keeps me grounded. LOL Just today I cleaned a 24x24 for $170.....I gave a deal because it was just to easy!...it was nearly empty, the door was two foot from my door....I just said $170 and did it! sometimes they win, sometimes I do...I try to keep it fair but nothing is perfect. Ive worked much harder for less with that damn tape measure. lol Oh and I did a $411 job today as well...made for a better deposit @$580 rather than $411. When my day is over and Im feeling it!...I snag another one or two. I was Solo today.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum