Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Lying or stretching truth for sales

+2
Matt; My carpet cleaner
milspec6
6 posters

Go down

Lying or stretching truth for sales Empty Lying or stretching truth for sales

Post by milspec6 Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

Why is it that this industry is so full of companies that will stretch the truth or flat out lie to get jobs? I really think we have become worse than used car dealers over the last 15 years with all the BS claims that I see on websites and on the radio.

Just this morning, I scouted my fellow cleaners in this area and found some classic examples of this....recognize any of them?

"We don't use weak lawn mower engines, we use the 230 hp turbo diesel to power our machines to provide you with the real power necessary to fully clean a carpet."

"We leave no residue behind of any kind and you will enjoy the lemon scent"

"You really should clean your carpets 4 times a year to be beneficial.'

"Pet stains and odors are easily removed with our topical system."

'You should only use low moisture cleaning, European studies prove it."

"The iicrc certification means we have the experience and skills to provide the best cleanings available."

"We can clean any size house for $110, no additional costs ever."

I just can't get over how bad some of these are and yet they are all being used within a 45 mile radius of me. Liars might be a bit strong, but they know that they are stretching the truth.

What ever happened to honesty? The industry keeps wrestling with how to build customer trust....why not start by being honest? I think I might have to become that masked magician who gave away the secrets on television to some of the more famous tricks.

Honesty builds immediate trust, I find that far easier than trying to remember the lies.

milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Lying or stretching truth for sales Empty Re: Lying or stretching truth for sales

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Local guy has a home build jerry rigged system he claims "280°" steam cleaning. Holy cow, talk about risk. Most hoses are rated to 250°. Hose goes out and someone's gonna get hurt! Oh, he has a marine gas tank inside the back door, similar secured.
And we have one of those, "most through cleaning or its free" guys. Wait, the owner and GM don't even run the business. The office manager does. iirc certified too!?
Other than that, most don't over claim or bad mouth others. Which is nice.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Lying or stretching truth for sales Empty Re: Lying or stretching truth for sales

Post by dp1 Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello Mr. Jones, this is Paul Smith, I'm an attorney representing Mr. Ellis at Castle defender, we're suing you for false advertisement, consider this 30 days notice to bring your ads to the "truth" level or we'll see you in court ! Very Happy
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Ahhhhh Yes, most are all too familiar........one that I've heard several times lately that drives me crazy is, "We use no soap or chemicals what so ever" Mad
And the worst part here in my area, is it's not as far out as a 45 mile radius, I can find 90% of that BS being spouted here in about a 2-5 mile radius of me, in this over saturated area. Shocked  It does really suck, but you know what, my honesty when I meet with a customer the first time, a lot of times put's all that BS to rest, and I win them over............not always (esp. if they're looking for the cheapest), but a lot of time's it dose.  Heck, sometimes I think my honesty works against me, for example when I tell a customer something like, "you know on that counter top or shower I really can't do anything you can't do yourself with such and such", recommending to them what to use.  Sure, I could not say that, do the job and take there money, but I'd rather be honest and tell them the truth when I can't do anymore than they can.  Guess what, people say to me all the time "I used you or called you back because I really appreciate your honesty"..........so I think it's a good thing in the long run, even though it may seem sometimes I'm screwing myself by being overly honest.

Not everyone, but there are some out there that value that honesty, and will pay you that higher price for it.

Good luck man............
We can't control what those slime balls do and say, but we can help by being honest our self's.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:45 pm

I guess it will just take time and constant education to correct this problem.

I will need to find a bigger ruler and make a few thousand dunce caps.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:43 pm

wouldnt even worry about it. I was guilty of spending time worrying about my competitors in the past but I dont spend a minute of my time thinking about them really... the most would be if a big successful company is doing a $99 deal and I just get a bit curious about how they covers costs but then I go about my day.

I try to do many things "outside the box" there are thousands and thousands of carpet cleaners out there and if you mostly do what all of them do then youll be like all of them.

I prefer to just ignore them and keep on pushin. Customers sometimes ask me about the cheap guys, I dont go into detail or bash them because it looks unprofessional... I just tell them there are a lot of different ways to try and clean a carpet and some business models are based on a fast in and out service
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 am

You can't control what other people do, only what YOU do.

I wouldn't put much worry in it. I'd just concentrate on what I can do for the client. Be honest with them and when they have a question about what others do, just be honest without making it a bash cession.

Education is key, but let's be honest. Clients will only want the cliff notes version. Short attention spans.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down