Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Does running 2.5 inch hose really help?

+5
Mo
ACE Services
ACpower1
dp1
milspec6
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does running 2.5 inch hose really help? Empty Does running 2.5 inch hose really help?

Post by milspec6 Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:12 pm

For the last 5 years, I have been running dual hoses from my waste tank to my inline filter. One port is a 2" and one is a 2.5" and although I have run the cfm tests which shows that it does help, I am really starting to doubt that.

When I finish cleaning and shut down, I find that there is always still water in my 2.5 inch lead hose, but nothing in the 2 inch. Now, it is important to note that I lift the filter upright and shake it for a few minutes at full vac to empty it all out, yet there is always water left in only the 2.5 inch hose.

I am beginning to believe that the cfm test is showing more air flow, but it is not enough to lift the water. The vapor is being pulled at a higher rate, but the liquid is not moving as well as in the 2 inch hose. If this is true, then we are all wasting our time with these 2.5 inch hose connections and would be better off going back a step to the dual 2 inch hoses to a tee.

Actually, we might be better served with just a single 2 inch line instead of the dual hoses if the lift is being affected on the other hose in that set-up as well. The exception would be on flood work where the added hose can provide more breathability as one hose fills with water. I don't think we move near as much water extracting carpet than you do on a flood so it might not be of any value.

Anyone else seeing this with dual hoses off the waste tank? Instead of a cfm meter, we should be measuring water volume being collected in the waste tank. That is our goal after all, isn't it?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Does running 2.5 inch hose really help? Empty Re: Does running 2.5 inch hose really help?

Post by dp1 Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:45 pm

My everest 408 has 2 - 2" hoses coming out of waste tank and it always leaves water in filter ( without lifting the filter upright ) but my everest 650 does not leave water in the filter ( again this is without lifting the filter upright after we're done with cleaning ) and the everest 650 has 3" - 4" hoses coming out of the waste tank to the pre-filter box and then from the pre filter box going to inline filter, while the 408 has the metal filter inside the waste tank.
That being said I think with bigger hose you will get more lift but less cfm, I can almost bet you that if you cover that filter with a cap after you're done cleaning, you wouldn't have water in the filter.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Does running 2.5 inch hose really help? Empty Re: Does running 2.5 inch hose really help?

Post by ACpower1 Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:51 pm

I always used 1 2.5 inch for the machine to filter then 50ft of 2.5 before it reduces to 2in.  

This year I switched since the TNT has a 2in and a 2.5 in port so I ran 2 short hoses to the inline filter.  

I might go back to just 1 2.5inch,         water when being moved by air flow will always take the easiest route and I am not sure how much water during a cleaning is even moving through the 2inch from machine to filter.  

An easy way to test would be to take the clear 2inch tube from my RV360 and put it inline between the machine and filter to see how much water is even coming that route while someone is wanding
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:57 pm

I am contemplating the same thing with my TNT right now...single 2.5 and capping off the 2" port. A single 50 ft span of 2.5 will get me from the curb to the front door of any house in my area and I think that might be the way to go.

Dp, my filter never has water in it, just the hose back to the tank and only the 2.5 hose. I think I could move more actual water using a single line than with two hoses....at least hoses of different diameters.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:07 pm

Sorry Rob, I didn't read your OP correctly, same scenario with my everest 408, my short hose to the inline filter always has water vs my 650 hoses doesn't, in my case I know it's from the hose sizes coming out of the waste tank, I was thinking about drilling 3" - 4" holes out of my waste tank and set it up the same way with my 650 but I would need to buy a pre filter box and prochem wants $ 500 for that piece of metal ( not even include the metal filter inside that pre filter box ).
Try capping that inline filter and I can almost guarantee you the hoses will be dry ( well they won't have any water in them ).
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Pre-filter boxes are brutal. I remember wanting to add the butler one to my set-up until I heard the price....crazy expensive for what it is.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Funny you guys should be taking about the filter Bx deal. What do you think about a inline / filter Bx. It could be mounted or used as a stand up inline filter that won't drip like some of the others.
I am looking at at round or square body, SS or aluminum.
Using SS basket that is available at most suppliers maybe even the same screen mesh sock that you are already using.
What are your thoughts.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:02 pm

I think if it included a bypass hose giving one the option of sending it to an APO, it would be a nice addition.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Ac12h at interlink supply is that item. I'm thinking something better than the RC 99 but maybe cost a little more but way less than 500. Got to build it first.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Now that you announced it, the clock is ticking and there is probably someone else banging away in his/her shop trying to get there first.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:15 am

Well don't tell J.B. Lol.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:53 am

ACE Services wrote:Funny you guys should be taking about the filter Bx deal. What do you think about a inline / filter Bx. It could be mounted or used as a stand up inline filter that won't drip like some of the others.
I am looking at at round or square body, SS or aluminum.
Using SS basket that is available at most suppliers maybe even the same screen mesh sock that you are already using.
What are your thoughts.

Won't a square in line filter reduce CFM?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:49 am

Many say that a square filter will slow the flow, but I have never tested it. Seems like it would, but many of the filter boxes that I see from Butler, PC, etc. have been box-shape. I would think that they test those designs before pushing them out there.

A toilet tank seems to flow fine and it is a rectangle....as long as the piping was large enough (3 inches) it may not really matter.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:52 am

Even better would be a rippled shape like irrigation tubes. They actually flow better than a smooth pipe and are often found that way on the blower vac inlet tube right?

I would use a 3-4 inch rippled tube like found on blowers.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:47 pm

First the filter it self is round. Just the Bx is square. Similar to a white magic filter Bx that had 3 2 inch ports on it.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:18 pm

You should know by now ACE that cleaners are often not the sharpest sailors in the boat (see, that didn't even make sense), so we need to see a picture to understand things.

IF you think it is a winner, I would bet money on you making it a success...you are that kind of guy. Whip up a prototype and then we will see if our collective minds can be of any help in fine tuning it.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Did you you look at the AC12H at interlink supply.
Not that I wouldn't use a round tube but putting a lid on a square tube is easier.
Besides who said you can't put a round screen in a square hole. Lol
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 pm

I almost bought one last year if you remember. I would definitely use one except the AC12H is over-prices for basically a sump pump in a box IMHO.

If there was a better option, I would be interested.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Back to the original question.
I ditched my 2.5" hose today. I see/hear that I'm getting more lift. The wand locks down more.
Been tired of whipping that big thing around.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm dropping the dual hose crap for the same reason. Just going to run a single 2.5 inch to the filter and 2 inch from there. How much suction do you need on a house at less than 150 hose run anyway?

Just going to keep things simple from now on.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by steamprony Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:27 am

Go with 2-2" for both the port. Test the newly added 2" hose, see whether there is any water left after shutdown. Also run the CFM test and see what it has to say.
steamprony
steamprony

http://www.steamprony.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 am

The CFM tests do show an increase...did that test a couple of years back, but I don't think it tells the whole story. There is a greater volume of air being moved, but not necessarily more water getting lifted.

In fact, it seems like there may be less water being moved through the hoses with the 2x2 or even the 2.5+2 that I was running.

If reducing the added hassle of the dual hoses is possible without any loss in water recovery, I am all for it. Sometimes we get wrapped up in modifications and industry trends so much that we complicate things when they don't need to be.

I am going try it out for awhile and see what I see.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm far from being an expert on this but think of it this way, why does the holes glide dries the carpets better than slotted or hybrid ? Because the cfm is restricted and it provides more lift, just like when you restrict water flow on garden hose, it will provide more pressure.
Like Eddy always said, keep it simple ! Very Happy
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:35 pm

dp1 wrote:I'm far from being an expert on this but think of it this way, why does the holes glide dries the carpets better than slotted or hybrid ? Because the cfm is restricted and it provides more lift, just like when you restrict water flow on garden hose, it will provide more pressure.
Like Eddy always said, keep it simple ! Very Happy
Always said dang when did I die. Lol
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:18 pm

We have a wand that is a continuous air leak, any hose cuff, waste tank gasket leak, any air leak in the system, that is not on the carpet fibers is going to take away from your lift at the wand.
Now add 4 2 Door, or 2.5 hose, the volume inside these hoses is larger, so if you have leaks, the #4 or 45 blower is going to have a hard time keeping the vacuum up.
It takes MORE time to put a 100 gallon tank under vac than a 50 gallon.
I call it lag time, we use to run 42door, but when my son was working with me I noticed that because he would lift wand and break the seal, and his wand strokes were faster than mine ( YOUTH ) the carpet was overwet, so we went back to one 50' of 2.5 the LIFT LAG was way less.
The LIFT LAG is even less on 2"....But you may also notice your Vac Relief working more, the drag in the 2" hose may be just enough that is causes that thing to vent, and when your VR vents you are losing energy back at the blower, not at the wand slot.
So you need to find the right balance so that your machine is running at it optimum.
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next