» Repeat cust didn't pay !
by milspec6 Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» What's a fair price for this ?
by milspec6 Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» humble pie
by milspec6 Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Before & after pics in your ads.
by dp1 Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 pm

» Connection with the largest contractor in my area.
by Freemind1 Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 pm

» Another mess
by milspec6 Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:07 pm

» You know it is hot when you turn down jobs
by milspec6 Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm

» Why I was away
by milspec6 Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 pm

» Pressure washer help
by steamprony Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

» that's a 1st, ugh!
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 pm

» After a long winter
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

» Setting customer expectations.
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

» Adding on work while you are there.....
by Freemind1 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

» Happy Father's day !
by Mo Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Westpak soft touch valve

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Westpak soft touch valve

Post by dp1 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:30 pm

I really like this valve, however the rebuild kit seems to last me only a few months before it starts leaking again, so now I just replace them instead of messing with rebuilding them, I put stainless steel on my regular wands and brass on my stair wands, started using the brass valve last year, hasn't failed yet but then stair wands doesn't get used nearly as much as carpet wands, it is a lot cheaper though.
How's your experience with them if you use them or if there is anything better out there ? Where do you buy them ?
dp1

Back to top Go down

Re: Westpak soft touch valve

Post by milspec6 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:09 am

Same as yours.

1. Rebuild kits are hit and miss....just replace the whole valve.
2. Brass on stair and detail tools, SS on main wands.

I don't think the SS were lasting any longer than the brass as it turns out so you should see the brass ones returning more and more. As you know, it isn't that the valve body fails, it's the guts which are identical between the two models.

I normally just buy 2 with every supply order. That way I have extras on-hand when the need arises. I think that I have about 5 of them right now in the drawer after changing out my old ones each quarter.

Yes, I said Quarterly (main wands only). I often start to get a small drip or a mushy handle after about 4 months. I keep rotating new so that there are no breakdowns in the field.
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:39 am

We noticed in the Dam valves that some of them were actually sticking open, I was not sure why?
This is why working on things is so cool....you learn things. The problem is that the SS Valve is SS so is the plunger or PIN. The only thing keeping these apart (SS BODY and SS PIN) is two small O rings. As the orings wear and because the trigger handle doesn't really push the pin perfectly in and out of the body the two metals begin to touch or rub this is called (forgive the spelling) Gwauling they being the same material actually work against each other due to fact they are both ss
A brass valve is acually better, but being it is softer metal will wear faster. They both SS and Brass have there weakness. Rebuilding a SS valve will not last as long because it has scared itself and has tiny scratches that eat away at the O rings faster after rebuild has been done.
So in reality the brass is cheaper to buy to begin with may last a bit longer after rebuild but if it has to be replaced any way brass is the better valve.
SS just holds more pressure to begin with.
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for the insight, that was very helpful and confirms my plan to toss out the rebuild kits. It is always nice to learn new things about the tools we use.

How is the new wand design coming?
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum