» Another mess
by milspec6 Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» You know it is hot when you turn down jobs
by milspec6 Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Why I was away
by milspec6 Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 pm

» Pressure washer help
by steamprony Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

» Connection with the largest contractor in my area.
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:04 am

» that's a 1st, ugh!
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 pm

» After a long winter
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

» Setting customer expectations.
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

» Adding on work while you are there.....
by Freemind1 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

» Happy Father's day !
by Mo Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

» Hi From Scotland
by milspec6 Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

» Thought on my pricing.
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

» any fishermen?
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 am

» Urine Stain Charges
by milspec6 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

» Yelp vs Google
by Freemind1 Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am

She tried to make it my problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

She tried to make it my problem

Post by Mo on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 am

So I cleaned a urine stained carpet for a landlord. I opened the windows for ventilate. I receive a voice mail that evening asking me if I knew how to close a window because one of her windows wouldn't close.

I called her back she asked if I would come back and to see if I can close it. She had her father attempt to close it and he couldn't either. She thought maybe I did something to prop it open and maybe I knew how to close it. I told her that I opened all the windows the same way and I would be happy to come back out to see if I could close it. I let her know that I was not a window expert and that I would not be responsible for fixing a window. She didn't like that comment and told me to forget it. WTF

What do you guys think? Was she trying t make it my problem? Should I have not made that comment? I probably could have fixed it.
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Re: She tried to make it my problem

Post by Devon07 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 am

Sounds like she was put off by the comment....maybe felt like you said she was going to accuse you of breaking it.....I wouldn't have said that and just went to try and fix....if it became a problem I would have then told her its not my issue and the expert comment etc.

Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Maybe the comment about me using a mallot to tap it loose scared her Very Happy.

Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:53 am

Being she's the landlord, and not living there(?), maybe she wasn't aware the window was sticky?...... So then thought you caused the problem. Kiss my ass

My advice....Just tap HER in the head with the mallet! Fly Fishing

Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:49 am

I was told once back at the Marine Corp Staff Training Academy, that whether you know the right answer or not, always act like you do.

She didn't know what to do, but saw you as the expert. Once you made that comment, her view of you changed and she reacted accordingly. You had the right idea in going back to resolve the issue. Then if you discovered that it needed repair, she would still see you as the expert and likely would have asked you who she should call.

When you are the leader....always lead.
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:54 am

What kind of rubbed me the wrong way is she said that she wonderd what I did. I told her opendedd the window just like i dud the others. So she asked that i return in an accusatory fashion. I've been in this business look enough to know when someone is trying to pull some shit.
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:59 am

Her fathe lives down the street and tried to close the window and couldn't either. I suspect the window had problems when the renter's were there

Thanks for the input gentlemen
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 pm

No doubt painted over several times and now doesn't function.

I would still attempt to go down there and take pictures. If she is going to blame you for something, I would want to document the situation right now before it gets altered.

People are always wanting to blame the other guy instead of just resolving the problem.

I cleaned a home this morning where the owners just left the doors unlocked and note of instructions and cash on the counter.

I have never met these people before so I took out the phone and filmed the rooms before I started and after. I don't like the idea of being accused of anything either.

I would still go over there and check the window.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Platoon, Follow me.
Lead on, Drill Sargent; lead on.

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:10 pm

I would've done / said the same thing, if she doesn't like your answer, that's her problem.
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 am

One of the other concerns that I had DP was that I would go down there and break the window and be force to pay for it. She was on the outskirts of my service area and I wanted to make sure we were on  the same page before I went out there
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:16 pm

Although I understand you and Dp's views on this one, I don't think you helped yourself or specifically your company's image. Customers don't forget and will complain about the smallest thing for years to anyone that will listen.

I was at a party last Saturday and there was a lady there that I started talking to and of course the topic came up as to what I did for a living. In a matter of seconds, she named 2 cleaners in my area that she had negative experiences with and would not stop complaining about them.

It wasn't even anything overly negative really, but one marked the wall and denied it. The other left a burn mark on her wooden floor from his solution line. She said that it happened 4 years ago and yet she was still throwing them under the bus and telling everyone to never call "those clowns" as she put it.

That went to a room of 47 people. Some of those will remember what she said and they will also relay that information to their friends and so on down the line. Just from something small that happened once 4 years ago, these companies are going to lose business.

If you went there and looked at it, even if you can't close it either, you avoid the negative image. Who knows, maybe you did do something and not know it?

I just think you were better off making an appearance and at least appearing concerned about her problem. I wouldn't pay for squat unless I did find myself at fault, but I would still have made the appearance and dropped off some flyers or something while out there.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:02 pm

If she wants to complain at a party that I was willing to make a 1 hour round trip to close her window but was not willing to pay some one to fix it if I couldn't close it... Then so be it. I can live with that.
 Today I recleaned 3 rooms that i cleanwd thrwe rooms att no charge for a landlord whose tenant thought there was still a dog smell in the house even though the landlord and I didn't smell anything. The landlord wanted to pay me but I refused. So hopefully I made a cheer leader in that one. 
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:12 pm

You definitely made a fan on that one. Very Happy
milspec6

Back to top Go down