Latest topics
» You know it is hot when you turn down jobs
by milspec6 Today at 11:04 am

» Why I was away
by milspec6 Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Pressure washer help
by steamprony Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Connection with the largest contractor in my area.
by Freemind1 Yesterday at 5:04 am

» that's a 1st, ugh!
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 pm

» After a long winter
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

» Setting customer expectations.
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

» Adding on work while you are there.....
by Freemind1 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

» Happy Father's day !
by Mo Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

» Hi From Scotland
by milspec6 Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

» Thought on my pricing.
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

» any fishermen?
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 am

» Urine Stain Charges
by milspec6 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

» Yelp vs Google
by Freemind1 Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am

» 30 year reunion
by milspec6 Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 am

how to clean cologne smell out of leather chair

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how to clean cologne smell out of leather chair

Post by KS555 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:44 am

Hello, hopefully someone here can help.    

I purchased a beautiful executive leather office chair at a yard sale for super-cheap. It's in like-new condition, and it's like sitting on a cloud. Maybe they shouldn't make work chairs so comfortable, because I've napped in it a few times now.
The only problem is that it has a smell of men's cologne. It's not obnoxious, fairly faint, but I'd, well, rather not smell like men's cologne to be honest.

I've sprayed it with vinegar multiple times, to no avail. It was out in the very hot sun for entire days, a few weeks in a row, at this yard sale and that didn't help.

Can anyone recommend a DIY fragrance removing solution that actually works, and won't damage the leather? Preferably one that is a home remedy and not a product to purchase, but at this point I"m open to suggestions.  I'd like to avoid any chemicals that are particularly noxious if possible.  

Emphasis on DIY, because I cannot afford to have someone come out and clean it at this time.

Thank you  =)

KS555

Back to top Go down

Re: how to clean cologne smell out of leather chair

Post by milspec6 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:12 am

Sounds like it is just trapped in the leather, so a good leather conditioner / cleaner should do the trick. There are specialty cleaners for that found at any leather coat seller or you might just try some saddle soap.

The cologne will not be embedded very deeply, so it shouldn't take a lot to remove the odor and since the chair sat in the hot Sun all that time, it probably needs a good conditioning anyway.
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KS555 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks very much. Is there any brand that you would recommend over the others?

KS555

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:16 am

At Wal-mart they sell Maguars leather cleaner/conditioner in the automotive section.

I have used this on leather car seats and found it to give good results. Not as good as professional products, but you are looking for DIY on the cheap. Short of hiring a pro, or buying pro products (expensive), this could be a good solution for you.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 am

Good suggestion Freemind1, some have deodorants built into them. Just check to make sure it isn't offensive to you first.

The Kiwi saddle soap works well too or if you really want to go cheap, gillette shaving foam works too.

Seriously, in the Marines, we cleaned our boots with the shaving foam all the time and it scrubbed up really well without adding a lot of moisture. Just make sure that you go back afterwards to apply a conditioner as the foam can strip the oils out of the leather.....mink oil works great if the leather is dark as it will darken the leather a little.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by KS555 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:25 am

Hmmm - something to think about is that I do have fairly severe fragrance allergies. Even the slight fragrance of this cologne is bothering me a bit. Anything that's Febreze-ish would be a nightmare and could make it necessary to get rid of the chair altogether. So the goal would be to have the chair become fragrance-free.
Does the shaving cream or the kiwi soap have a fragrance? Can't imagine kiwi soap would be too flowery.

KS555

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Shaving foam has no odor unless you go with the menthol one. The saddle soap doesn't have any perfumes, but it does have a very slight tallow smell to it until you wipe it off.

The fastest solution is go with what Freemind1 suggests as it will clean and condition in one product, just make sure it comes unscented.

The shave foam works really well for a deep clean, but it is slower. Saddle soap has been working for a 100 years, but will still require a conditioner after.

Just be sure to heat up the seat a little before you start. It will clean easier and definitely accept the conditioner better. Hair dryer works well for this or even just crank the heat up in the house some.

Good luck.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by KS555 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:44 am

Hey, how come it only lets me thank one poster? Boo. I was working my way down the list.
Appreciate your posts everyone. I will try those.
Never knew the trick about heating up the leather. I have a heating pad, that might work also.
Have a good day everyone

KS555

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:02 am

Heating pad is a cleaver idea, that should work.

Wish you luck.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by IamJoel on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:59 am

I recommend Leather Therapy Restorer. Odor problem can remove easily.

IamJoel

Back to top Go down

Post by steamprony on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:33 am

There are few things that can help you with cologne smell. Vinegar, baking soda and Fresh air. Fresh air is the easiest and the simplest way to take care of cologne smell. Let your furniture breath fresh air, cologne smell will ultimately fade away.
Where as vinegar and baking soda both helps cleans leather surface and fights odor. A little sprinkle of baking soda over leather or mixture of mixture of half vinegar with half water can do you the work.

Here's little more help to take care of your leather upholstery in a proper manner. https://goo.gl/XG3z0r

steamprony

http://www.steamprony.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum