Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Freezing again

5 posters

Go down

Freezing again Empty Freezing again

Post by milspec6 Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:26 pm

I had my kickoff job of the new year today....an early morning job too. Unfortunately, the windchill was in the single digits so it was not the most enjoyable way to start one's day. It was my only job on the schedule and by the time I unloaded and stored everything, I had no motivation left to do anything outside.

We have this weather all week, so I don't expect to be very busy. Heck of a way to start the year. Maybe I will just go shooting tomorrow and enjoy putting holes in targets.

milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Freezing again Empty Re: Freezing again

Post by Freemind1 Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:49 am

When it's this cold out, who would want to clean anyway?

I plan on hitting the ice this weekend again. Ice fishing is a great way to pass the time too.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 am

Ice fishing!? I want to avoid freezing, I will cast off in a hot tub instead.

It was a good day so far, just took the black powder pistol out to fields and wiped out a dozen soda cans. Still painfully cold, but at least I got out some aggression on something.

It is really fun shooting black powder in the wind, you can actually see the lead ball fly all over the place on way to the target. How those guys ever hit anything on a windy day is beyond me....one of my shots was taken by the wind a full six inches, I saw it corkscrew.

Oh well, I will hit town tonight and try to shake up some small commercial work. Even when freezing outside, a quick 30 minute office clean isn't a bad experience.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Freemind1 wrote:When it's this cold out, who would want to clean anyway?

I plan on hitting the ice this weekend again. Ice fishing is a great way to pass the time too.
Get some pics.
So I now know I can clean in 18* temps, with 5mph winds. It wasn't that bad. The hard part? the freaking sidewalk wasn't cleared(14" drifts). Low tonight 1. That's not so bad; my son just went to medicine hat, CDA. -12!!!!!! That's the Hi temp?!?!! Low , -24.
I'm so glad I now have a garage. Although, the freaking heating system is right in from of my van. Total clearance in the front... 3". By the bumper... 2"! %#%%$%#"
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 pm

That is some cold temps Matt....I guess the show must go one.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:27 pm

I plan on taking the action camera with me fishing. I went Saturday last week, and no fish.

Cold doesn't bother me fishing. I have a one man shanty, a heater, and good boots/ice wear. It can be 20 below, and I am in a T shirt in the shanty.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 am

As long as the water doesn't hit your head, the body can handle extreme cold just fine.

I was deployed 300 miles North of the Arctic Circle in Northern Norway back in the early 90's. I spent months living outside in improvised stick shelters and had no problems with the cold....eat lots of chocolate and keep moving.

The exception was when I tried to take an improvised shower by pumping water straight from a Fjord in single digit weather. I did a quick scrub and rinse and was almost in the clear until I went to rinse the soap out of my hair. The second the water hit the top of head, I blacked out and hit the ground.

There is no insulation to your skull and when that near frozen water hit my head, the brain shut down. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 am

That's crazy Rob.

No problem working in the cold for me
 I've had two jobs in two weeks.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Just got a call to clean 4 apartments today had to turn them down at my daughter's volleyball  practice. I think I'm just frickin lazy. I should just get the hell.out of town ... Somewhere warm
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I am not a whole lot busier than you Mo, but I still have some repairs to make. I just received my propane hose, but it is also 6 degrees out, so I am not installing it today.

The box truck will have to wait for a better day.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 pm

I take the whole week off thinking to go somewhere ( Utah or Oregon ), everyone got sick, plan was cancelled, got all repairs done, cleaning supplies came 2 days ago, stock everything up in all the vans, cleaned the heck out of the inside cargo of the vans, everything is ready to go, got about 14 jobs lined up for next week, lost about 4 jobs so far this week, oh well.
It's been raining here, which is good, we need all the rain we can get.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 pm

It has been a very long time since I was busy like that in the winter. On the one hand, it would be nice to keep a steady income flow year round, but then again, it could lead to burn out as well.

By the time things warm up around here, I will be like a sprinter in the starting blocks ready to uncoil thanks to the long stretch of doing nothing.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Mo wrote:Just got a call to clean 4 apartments today had to turn them down at my daughter's volleyball  practice. I think I'm just frickin lazy. I should just get the hell.out of town ... Somewhere warm
Misery likes company. Got a call for a large empty house; wait till Monday- to cold(lazy). Couldn't motivate myself to suck it up and go....
Sad bunch of CC we are(in the winter).
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Well, cleaning when it is really cold out is an invitation to break down as well. Nothing worse than earning $200 only to pay another $400 in repairs after.

I have tried to steer clear of small jobs when it is this cold out. I will clean in sub-zero temps if the ticket is big enough, but all that I get called for right now are the truck minimum jobs and that just doesn't seem worth it.

I am still trying to nail down this bank job next week. They keep delaying the date, but we meet on Monday to finally work out the details. The temps are supposed to be around freezing next week, so the planets are aligned for this one. Just hope they don't decide to wait until Spring.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:29 pm

That's wise Bob, just stay warm instead of working your butt off and still have to spend some $$ for parts and repairs.
I would give them a little tiny bit more discounts to get them ( the bank ) to do it this month at your convenience dates ( when the temperature is a workable temp ), like 3 percent "flexibility" discount.
I'm thinking to start something like that this year, give 4 - 5 customers flexibility discounts if their timing is flexible, that way if we're done earlier than scheduled we can call them up and say okay we'll be there in an hour or something close to that. I'm thinking to give them 5 % discounts from my end, may be I'll try that for a few weeks and see where that go / how successful it is.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum