Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Helping hands.

3 posters

Go down

Helping hands. Empty Helping hands.

Post by dp1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:10 pm

I got a call a couple of weeks ago from someone that used to work for me a long time ago ( 2006 ), he asked me if I have a van for sale, I said sure, he asked how much, told him 25 k, turn key with prochem everest, he said his budget is 10 k, I told him to take a look at his local craigslist, he did, texted me a listing about 10 days ago and asked me my opinion, 3 k for an old van and really old hydra master direct drive unit, I told him to inspect the whole thing, make sure it's not a rust belt and if possible test run at his place or something for a good hour at highest speed, put that sucker under serious load.
He texted me yesterday and asked me to text him what he needs to start cleaning, texted him everything I can think of, I thought to myself, there is no way my ex boss would do for me what I did for this guy, and that makes me feel really good, everyone just wants a chance to a better life and I hope he will be succesful, I told him he can text / call me anytime if he has any questions, however I don't know much about that direct drive unit and might have to direct him here if he has issues with that machine.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Helping hands. Empty Re: Helping hands.

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:58 am

You are right, none of my old bosses would have even answered the phone let alone helped in any way. You did good and should feel good that he thought so much of you to reach out like he did.

As for the direct drive, they can run forever and are simple designs...it is the vans that die long before the TM's ever do. It will not have the best heat in the world, but with your winters, it will not matter.

My initial advice is that he change the oil every single month and replace the water pump, t-stat, and coolant hoses before he does his first job. The cooling systems can get pretty sluggish over time and a partially stuck t-stat or weak pump will result in poor heat transfer to the heat exchanger.

Changing those things out can get you another 15-20 degrees and a huge piece of mind regarding reliability.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:13 am

Way to pay it forward DP,

If had a budget of 10K for a set up I would have spent more than 3K. I have a feeling that set up is going to nickle and dime him to death
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks Bob, just texted him that info.
Mo, I have a feeling about that too, advised him not to buy that unit, but in the end it's his decision. I think for this area, direct drive is not the right equipment, especially his area ( central california ), it gets triple digit temperature well over 30 days in the summer, I couldn't be happier the day I got out of there, lol.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Direct Drives actually do well in hot climates as you are using the van's engine which is being cooled by a much larger radiator and fan than anything found on a slide in model. The only suggestion that I would add is that he run the van with the hood propped open.

Butler insists that it is not necessary, and it probably isn't, but my alternator and hoses all lasted longer when I did.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Good to know, I'll pass that on to him, although knowing him, I would think he would "forget" doing that until something happens *knock on wood for him, lol.
I'll definitely send him here to the forum as soon as he starts cleaning.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:22 pm

I hope he does well and comes around to join us....the industry and us have plenty of room at the table for another diner.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down