Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Carpet Cleaning Tech jobs.

+6
steamprony
ACpower1
Mo
milspec6
Matt; My carpet cleaner
dp1
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Carpet Cleaning Tech jobs. Empty Carpet Cleaning Tech jobs.

Post by dp1 Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 am

I actually have too much time in my hands today and started doing some search on carpet cleaning techs jobs in ziprecruiter and I was surprised on how many cleaning tech jobs starting at $ 12 - $ 15 / hour, this is actually the lowest rates throughout the country, some even start between $ 14 - $ 16, in Honolulu there is a company ( might have been Rainbow Rider's Razz ) the pay was $ 20 / hour, the requirement is a little funny, you're not allowed to request day off for the first 60 days, I assume that's outside of your regular 2 days off a week.
I also see the IICRC office in Vegas is hiring an accountant, I almost click the "apply" button and then remember how much I "love" accounting, lol.
Oh, in Minnesota a cleaning company offer $ 15 / hour starting pay Shocked
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Carpet Cleaning Tech jobs. Empty Re: Carpet Cleaning Tech jobs.

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:38 pm

In Seattle area, sometimes there will be opening with starting pay ranging up to $20/hr. I'd say they don't take just anyone.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:31 pm

In my area it is $15.....I pay $20 personally.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 pm

If they are experienced, I would absolutely have no problem paying $ 20 / hour, but starting pay of $ 15 / hr for non experienced ? I personally think that's too much for hose puller, I don't remember the last time I hire inexperienced tech, so I can't even make a justifiable amount to start.
I wonder if experienced mechanic is also making $ 20 / hr when they are working for a shop ? Shops usually charge $ 75 / hour while carpet cleaners usually make $ 100 - $ 125 / hour with 2 man crew, that makes auto repair shop more profitable than carpet cleaning company ? Especially considering they don't really spend time going to customer's homes like we do. Much lower overhead ? Looks like we're in the wrong business guys.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Auto mechs that work for dealerships are on commission. An independent around here gets $95 per hour for ASE and $35 for non-certified shop help. Like I say, a carpet cleaner can make very good pay compared to even skilled crafts.....if they can find enough work to stay busy.

At $15 per hour, your helper is only pulling $120 per day before tax or about $90 post tax. That is a pretty cheap worker compared to our invoices and well worth it to me. I don't even mind going $25 on jobs that require late hours or weekends.

This has been my main motivation for not looking for another job. There are none that have the same pay potential around here, so it makes more sense to just try and find more cleaning jobs rather than a 9 to 5.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:33 am

Hey DP I thought the minimum wage in Cali was 15.00 per hour. That rate just became law in AZ but they have 5 years to get to that rate.

I would venture to say the majority of carpet cleaning businesses are home based so in general its a low overhead biz
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:36 am

I thought they raised that too, but apparently it will take 4 years to get to that amount.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:40 pm

This has turned into a timely topic. I just started to book a few buildings for Feb. and discovered that my Sub for the past 2 years is out of the cleaning business. Things were too slow and he was forced to take a day job.

I am planning on offering him tech pay to run my other truck on these jobs, but I don't know if he would accept that compared to what he used to earn as my Sub-contractor.

Would you push a wand for someone else for $35 / hour, especially when you used to make 40% of the job?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:04 pm

At $ 35 / hour he doesn't have to worry about ANYTHING !!
It's a job, no overhead, when he gets off work, he gets to relax and not have to deal with ANYTHING !! Did I say ANYTHING ?? lol
That's why I'm willing to try to work for someone, just the thought of equipments maintenance, have to look at bills, make sure they are paid in timely manners, etc.
I think he will take it at $ 35 / hour.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Dp, I will probably make that offer to him. The kid is a good cleaner and works hard without complaints, sorry to see him fold up like that.

If we lived in the same area, I would try and take him on full-time, but the drive just wouldn't work out for him and I have yet to prove that I can generate that much work. I was really having my doubts about winter survival until nailing down this bank job and then out of the blue, 3-4 buildings early part of next month. It ensures my survival until Spring.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 pm

auto mechs many times work on salary,  especially if they are at a nicer dealership...  I know being a subaru mech is a good job around 60k/year working for dealership.  

I would not push a wand for another company period,    I wouldnt even work for another company in general unless it was a dream job.      

I never finished my business degree so I cant imagine finding any company that is going to pay me well enough.        

Dp  running an auto shop is no cake walk,    ASE certified mech arent going to work for $15/hr...   and remember they arent traveling to customers homes but the rent on a shop with even 4 bays is not cheap,   far more expensive then keeping a few trucks in working order with fuel.  

not to mention when they mis diagnose a problem, or chase a problem for days. They are dealing with lots of people who dont take care of their car then bring it in when it completely fails, unless its a factory dealership doing warranty maintenance but that takes millions of dollars to get into.

They have tons of overhead,   much much more than us.      

my overhead is about as low as it gets for a business.       I could double expenses in each category except labor and it wouldnt make a difference.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:46 pm

if your looking to hire someone Dp, I would seriously consider making them an independent contractor.

especially if its just one guy your looking to have run your truck while you take a day job. You will be able to pay him more and have much less liability.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Your Subaru dealer puts their mechs on salary?  Interesting, my Uncle works for VW/Audi dealership and is on commission.  Nobody will even touch an oil change.

The overhead is very real and shops are very expensive.  You also correct about the customers.  My Father always said that he had 2 kinds of customers.  The first one schedules all the needed maintenance and gets concerned over strange sounds or odors.  The second one only comes in when something really important finally falls off the car and they had no idea it was getting that bad.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by steamprony Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Though $15 to $20 is good pay.
steamprony
steamprony

http://www.steamprony.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:21 pm

AC, I'm not looking for someone just yet, but that's not a bad idea, however as far as I know we are still required to have workers comp for independent contractors ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Independent Contractors carry their own insurance....including workman's comp. In fact, I don't think you could even do it if you wanted to insure them.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:45 pm

I believe the in order for that person to qualify as an independent contractor he would need to use his own equipment. But I guess you can sell him your van and truck mount
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:05 pm

That is the key, to be an independent contractor, he still has to be a business entity.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:05 am

It may be different in your state but here I believe the sub contractor can run what ever equipment, but it may change insurance circumstances
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AndrewMcNamaraUtah Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:00 am

I like to start low at 15$ and increase gradually with time, up to 20-25$ (Utah)

AndrewMcNamaraUtah

http://www.carpetcleaningutah.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 am

In my state, a "day laborer" or "occasional laborer" can be treated like contract labor. Several retail businesses pay like that.

I don't think carpet techs get paid much here. Probably start around 10 bucks like most other jobs. Last one I saw advertised in Ft. Wayne was like that. 10 to start.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 am

Wow, $10 for a tech....do that get incentives?

I don't know about all my competition, but $12-$15 is the norm here.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 pm

To tell you the truth, I don't know. No one listed any in the job descriptions.

I do not know what the local company's pay, in my area. All I do know is the one "new" guy that has hung in it for two years now, started a window cleaning "division" too. I'm pretty irritated about it. His crew consists of a man and wife team, that speak Spanish. I don't know if they are here legally or not, but I would assume not. So, this makes me wonder what kind of pricing he is doing, because I know what kind of a scammer he was in carpets by his facebook advertising my wife showed me a year or two ago.

I don't hate competition, but if he is doing things like I think he is, it's just plain wrong. His "truck" for window cleaning doesn't have a ladder, So I can only be left to assume what kind of crap work he is doing, or should I say his "crew" is doing. And they are probably doing it for next to nothing, trying to get by and survive.

The big problem in my area is no one pays jack for labor. And then you have a mix in of illegals working here and there to make the owner a few more bucks, and screwing the honest guys trying to make it.

This area is literally run by the circle of the good ol boy's club. And it all revolves around them making money, and to heck with everyone else. That's why the pay here is locked so low. They want the illegal's labor and to keep wages low for their own benefit.

I hope quite often, that the "club" gets caught doing something illegal and the whole bunch of them go down in flames. It's the only way things will get better here. Corruption can run deep in a small town too.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:12 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that businesses can't operate like that without customers willing to accept it. I wouldn't bother trying to challenge the competition, just educating the public. Like you pointed out, they don't even have a ladder for Pete's sake.

I spent about an hour yesterday answering questions about the way that I clean and the reason for all those tools. People like to gain knowledge and share it as well, she was on the phone with her Mother repeating all the things that I told her as I packed up. I was then asked to leave a stack of business cards.

We also have 3 carpet installers in this area and none of them bothered to us a stretcher and gave the excuse that after xx years in the business that they only needed a knee kicker. I harped on it with every customer for the last 5 years and now 2 of those installers are out of business....the one that survived uses a power stretcher now. An educated public is a bad business's worst enemy.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 am

I don't plan on challenging the completion or bad mouthing them for what I assume they are doing. I do however, about have my scripts done for a series of videos for my website. This is where I will explain the differences of a Pro and a "pro". I will be building my value and pointing out differences so potential clients can have something to compare each business with.

The education part for me, is the biggest "eye glazer" for me. Folks most of the time don't want to hear the how's or the why's of my water filtration system. They don't want to hear why soaps are actually a good or bad thing. They have a preconceived notion of what a window cleaner does and how they do it. I am hoping that the video series I do, will be a start on the education of window cleaning. Because things have changed since it started. There is a right and wrong way of doing things, much like stretching carpet.

I was going to get a jump start on the videos this winter, but never got to it. The part of the house I will be doing filming in, isn't heated and didn't want to mess with it this winter, by the time I got everything bought to do it with. I've got my action cam mount on my pole. I did that when I rebuilt my brush the other day.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next