Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

A new beginning.

4 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

A new beginning. Empty A new beginning.

Post by rainbowrider Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi everybody I'm back. My old computer went down. I changed email servers and email address etc etc. Anyway I've been gone to long.
Most of us put off thinking about our end game. Sell out and retire? Waiting for something better to come along? The years slip away. I cleaned my first carpet in about 1973 if I remember correctly. I didn't get into it professionally until 1984. Here it is 2017 and I'm still pushing a wand. Sounds like a dreary reality doesn't it? Not so fast. Thirty-two years with no boss. Can't be downsized or replaced, etc. etc. Of course living is Hawaii is a bonus.
Recently I watched one old guy sell out and retire to Florida. I've watched a lot of cleaners come and go. Most just folded their tent and faded away. Being one of the old timers I've wondered how I would handle it. Before I put in my two cents I'd like to hear from some of you.

rainbowrider

Back to top Go down

A new beginning. Empty Re: A new beginning.

Post by milspec6 Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 pm

People actually retire in Hawaii by moving to Florida? Seems like they are missing the point somehow there. Very Happy

I used to let my occupation become my identity (military and law enforcement) so when you have to leave, it feels more like a funeral. That always lead to the indispenisble man syndrome until I lost my job last Summer and saw that nothing really changed for them without me.

Now, I see a job as just that, a job. It is the vehicle that pays the bills so that I can enjoying doing the things that I like. There is no "end game" to it for me, I plan to work until they put me in the ground....this job or the next, doesn't matter.

So, I will clean for as long as it can pay the bills.

BTW, I might run into you yet since my Brother just retired and is building a house on Kauai. They bought the lot a couple of weeks ago. I am certain that I will find myself running around the islands again at some point to visit.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbowrider Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm

milspec6 I'll be in your neck of the woods (more or less) this weekend. The wife and I are flying into Kansas City for my fathers funeral. He was ninety-five and seven months. He worked into his early eighties. I don't plan on that long. My grandson has been working with me since he was twelve. He's now twenty-five. For the past four years he's been running my night restaurant route to pay for college. He recently decided to change his major from aircraft mechanic to business. He's going to take over papa's carpet cleaning business one of these days. I'm not ready to retire yet at age sixty-six but I do want to work him into the business so I can start on my bucket list. Anyone want to go to Anchorage next February for the Iditarod? I've always wanted to drive a dog sled, drive a snowmobile, cross country ski etc. I have a friend who lives in Anchorage. I asked for his advise and he said stay home. LOL

rainbowrider

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Father-in-son; sweet deal. The legend will continue on:)
My brother use to live in Nome, Ak, Where the Iditarod ends.
His ex's wifes grampa is a legend in the Iditarod race. I don't know his name, but continued to race in his late 60s.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbowrider Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm

My son didn't want to follow my carpet cleaning footsteps. He followed his grandfather (my dad) and is a service manager for two car dealerships. With a large number of employees he has a lot more headaches than me. No thank you.
Alaska is first on the list. Then comes a two day white water raft trip on the American river in California during the spring thaw. I don't feel any different than when I was in my forties. Good gene's

rainbowrider

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 pm

I just googled American river, that's by Sacramento, a little too far from me, but if you're in LA area one of those days, let me know, I'll buy you lunch and beer Very Happy

That's going to be one hell of a trip, from high humidity to freezing to hot and dry.

I'm sorry to hear your dad's passing Sad
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Alaska is the only US State that I have never been to and is always high on my list of things to do. Funny, I remember telling that to a prison inmate that was from Alaska and he had the same response as your friend....he said stay home too. Laughing

The weather is supposed to be on the chilly side this weekend, so plan accordingly. Probably in the mid-60's I suspect. I wish I would have known a few days earlier, I would have made a road trip to meet you, but I have a couple of buildings to clean on Saturday.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum