Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

PET Fiber Allergies

3 posters

Go down

PET Fiber Allergies Empty PET Fiber Allergies

Post by milspec6 Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 am

I have a fantastic opportunity to be the hero of the year this Thursday with a new customer. They are the neighbors of lady that I cleaned for a couple of weeks ago and that customer showered my work with praise....even told them about my special designed tools like some paid commercial endorsement (some do listen to my rants) Laughing

Here is the situation. One, the husband got some grease on his shoe and tracked a little from the garage to the bedroom. They already had the 2 large franchises in the area try to clean it up, but they failed. I guess a disaster company and the "special water" people don't know how to get out a little grease Shocked I inspected it and removed a few inches of it with just a terry towel and some prespray to demonstrate the potential results....so easy (it was nylon for pete's sake)..

It is the second part that has the greatest potential. Since installing new wall-to-wall carpet in their basement, the wife has been developing skin rashes when she spends any time in the basement. It has been 6 months and she still can't go anywhere near that part of the house. I tested the room for mVOC levels and they were normal with no odors of any kind.

This is an upper class home with over 2,200 sqft of carpet in the basement alone so the husband does not want to rip out the new carpet. They are hoping that a cleaning might be beneficial in solving her issues.

The carpet in question is a PET polyster made by Mohawk and also includes a scotchguard layer from the factory. She has never had any issues with polyester allergies, so I am struggling to see the connection. I do know that Mohawk SmartStrand fiber (corn based) tends to off-gas for months and has triggered allergy issues, but I haven't heard the same complaint with the EverStrand PET fibers.

I want to drive a stake through the hearts of those franchise companies by succeeding where they failed as well as solve this expensive issue in their basement. The first part should be easy as both of them left their carpet wet for 3 days, but the allergy issue is another matter.

Has anyone run into this before with Mohawk EverStrand or any PET carpets?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

PET Fiber Allergies Empty Re: PET Fiber Allergies

Post by milspec6 Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 am

The more I think about it, I am suspect of the fluoropolymer as the culprit. I have always refused to apply that stuff due to potential chemical sensitivities and this might be an example of someone that is sensitive.

There might not be much hope for that carpet sticking around.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Mon May 15, 2017 5:18 pm

milspec6 wrote:The more I think about it, I am suspect of the fluoropolymer as the culprit.  I have always refused to apply that stuff due to potential chemical sensitivities and this might be an example of someone that is sensitive.

There might not be much hope for that carpet sticking around.

That was my first thought
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 pm

I spoke with the owner and he confirmed that the carpet came with the protector and that he paid the last cleaner to spray the furniture in the basement as well with scotchguard.

Right now they are not happy that they may have done it to themselves AND paid a lot to do it. I suggested that they pass it by their allergist before our appointment.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm

If you steam clean them with the TNT, you should be able to strip that stuffs out of there by cranking the heat up a bit ( 220 - 230 ).
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue May 16, 2017 8:17 pm

I thought about that, but from what I understand Scotchguard can handle high heat and ph of up to 10 without trouble. I could go at it with a high ph cleaner spiked around 12-13 and really crank the heat, but I don't think the carpet will fare that well....likely turn yellow.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Use power burst ( ph 11 ) and don't use too much heat ( no more than 230 ), and extract it slow, it should strip them, you'll be the hero dancing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I will be discussing it with them tomorrow. I planned on suggesting multiple cleanings as a way to gradually remove this treatment without damaging the fibers...your suggestion is a good one as well and will be considered.

She dealt with this problem for 6 months and her husband had reached the point of believing it was all in her head, so if the theory is correct...they should both be happy in the end.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 pm

It was an interesting day cleaning for these folks. The wife was at work, so I don't know if it will do her any good with the allergy, but the husband gave me a 30% tip.

I felt pretty proud of that tip until he slipped the trash truck a $100 to pick up a small roll of extra carpet. Now I feel cheated.

This guy was very interesting to speak with as he is in the "cleaning" business himself. He is a VP of a large group that does industrial production cleanings like production beer vats as an example. He gave me some tips about some really interesting new developments in chemistry that I think might find its way into our field. Exciting stuff that I will share once I meet with his development experts....he promised to get me their emails and allow me to be a fly on the wall as it develops.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Should've grabbed that $ 100 bill and take the extra roll of carpets for projects huh ?
What did you use to clean ?
Did you ever follow up with them with the wife's allergy ? I'm curious.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am

DP, I wish I would have thought about that....that would have been the easiest $100 in history.

I use Procyon on all the smartstrand carpets and those with minimal soil loads. With here chemical reaction I decided that using anything stronger might be a negative.

I didn't follow up on this one yet as I don't know if I should. The husband is convinced that it is all her head even when I pointed out my theory regarding the scotch-guard.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down