Latest topics
» Connection with the largest contractor in my area.
by milspec6 Today at 8:14 pm

» Repeat cust didn't pay !
by milspec6 Today at 8:11 pm

» Another mess
by milspec6 Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:07 pm

» You know it is hot when you turn down jobs
by milspec6 Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm

» Why I was away
by milspec6 Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 pm

» Pressure washer help
by steamprony Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

» that's a 1st, ugh!
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 pm

» After a long winter
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

» Setting customer expectations.
by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

» Adding on work while you are there.....
by Freemind1 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

» Happy Father's day !
by Mo Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

» Hi From Scotland
by milspec6 Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

» Thought on my pricing.
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

» any fishermen?
by Freemind1 Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 am

» Urine Stain Charges
by milspec6 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

Connection with the largest contractor in my area.

:: Forums :: Off Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Connection with the largest contractor in my area.

Post by Freemind1 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:01 pm

I got a call for a bid today from the CEO of the largest construction contractor in my area.

It's for his home. Nice guy.

I was waiting for the "if you give me a cheap price, I can get you all the work you can handle" speech. Surprisingly he said "We have many properties in the area, but I'm looking for quality". To which I replied he was in luck, that's all I offer. I'm glad he didn't go the cheapo route, because I probably would have turned him down. Every time I have ever heard the "give me a cheap price and I'll run you over with so much business" bullcrap, it's always a lie.

I don't know what doors this will open for me (maybe none), but he accepted my bid for both in and out (he only wanted interior initially). I told him it's not much more to add interior cleaning. It's about 1/3 of the cost. And he mentioned how busy he was, so there was that too.

I DID give him a good price, because I don't know if anyone else was bidding. Apparently not, as I got the bid. Others that come here are stupid cheap. I don't know how they stay in business at their price model. Maybe they had done work for him already, and that's why he mentioned quality, lol.

This home is a typical "McMansion" home in my area. Not on a lake, has about 2+ acre plot, and 50 windows.

I'm gonna say that 50 windows is pretty average on all the homes I clean. The largest number was on a house I bid last year, with 100 windows (literally) needing cleaned.

Water fed poling this job and my wife doing interiors with the Unger kit, we will knock this job out in 2 hours or less, and walk away with a 350 check. Not the greatest hourly average, where it's usually pushing over 150 an hour per man. I can live with it. I just hope there is more work from him, but if not, I'm happy with it for what it is.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Re: Connection with the largest contractor in my area.

Post by milspec6 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Nothing wrong with $350 for 2 hours work, I'll gladly take that every time.

You are also correct, the "give me a good price and I'll get you a lot of work" is one of the biggest lies in contractor history.  There must be a guide out there that instructs people to make that claim as I hear it all the time.

To quote Rooster Cogburn in the movie "True Grit": (1:35 into it)

milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Oh, they don't even have to be a contractor. I've heard it from association people too.

Lots of folks either think the lie works, or they just think they are more important then they really are.

Either way, when someone trots out that line, I tend to walk away because I know what a waste of time it is. They aren't buying unless it's beer money, and you aren't getting any referrals from them either.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Had that happen many times over the years; NOT 1 job came my way.
Lunch lady at a school said that to me. "I know everyone, they listen to me..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 am

Well, I did his home today. I think the job turned out GREAT.

But there were scratches in the glass from where someone likely did the construction clean up years ago, and didn't know HOW to use a blade.

A few windows had hard water stains, but not many.

He left before I was done, and left his assistant there to lock up behind us. He didn't leave a check, so I billed him. It miffed me, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just forgot to cut the check. I'm sure a window cleaner isn't top of his priorities list.

We will see if this leads to more work, or this guy is just a headache. I prefer to be the optimist.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Wasn't busy to get your bid or to see you start the job but too busy to cut you a check poop
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 pm

@Freemind1 wrote:Well, I did his home today. I think the job turned out GREAT.

But there were scratches in the glass from where someone likely did the construction clean up years ago, and didn't know HOW to use a blade.

A few windows had hard water stains, but not many.

He left before I was done, and left his assistant there to lock up behind us. He didn't leave a check, so I billed him. It miffed me, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just forgot to cut the check. I'm sure a window cleaner isn't top of his priorities list.

We will see if this leads to more work, or this guy is just a headache. I prefer to be the optimist.

Quickly send a thank you note. With a "PS" I left an invoice on the counter

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:33 pm

I already sent the invoice to his email, but he didn't respond today. If I don't hear from him in the next day or two, I'll call him and make sure he got it ok and that he was happy with the work.

Still ticks me off that I didn't get paid. I sure hope he doesn't just assume that he can pay me whenever he wants, as this was NOT a account that has credit and time to pay.

We'll see.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 am

Sounds like the typical large business to me....pay when they feel like it. Construction contractors are the absolute worse in that category. Be the squeaky wheel.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 am

Maybe an email follow up asking QC questions?
How they look?
Anything we missed?
Would you recommend us to others?
And end with; something about payment ....
Squeaky wheel...

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 am

Matt is on the right track, stay on his radar.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Just wait a week and then call him and calmly ask " Where the F is my money" Very Happy Very Happy

Just joking you'll get paid but I agree it ticks me off when people assume that you an just bill them
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Well, I got contact from him today. No words about payment.

Instead he sent me pictures of a bank they are almost done building and asked me to bid it. Not much paint spatter that I could see, but there were forms close to the building where they were about to pour concrete.

I sent my bid, with the caveat that the price is this, AS LONG as no more paint ends up on the glass OR any concrete.

I was out dropping more postcards when he e-mailed me. I submitted the bid before noon, but I have not heard anything back. I didn't bid it cheap either, nor will I. If he accepts, we will need to talk about when payment will be sent, because I'm not going to go in and not know that.

They never asked about bonding or anything about insurance. I wonder if that will be a concern of theirs? I carry 150K of liability, and I'm not really wanting to buy more.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 pm

I established a policy with my commercial customers that I will not perform any new jobs until the previous job is paid. I can set my watch to it now, once the check arrives, the phone rings with the next job.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:04 am

That is a good policy. I don't know how well it may work for this situation though.

Being a large company, they have multiple crews and many projects going at a time.

My main concern is that the bill gets paid within 30 days and they are never very indebted to me. I've heard of guys waiting on 10k or more. No way I could do that.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Today at 2:34 pm

Well, I got a call from them today, to go out and do a construction clean on a building they remodeled. I told them I don't really work on Sunday's, but I would take care of it today for them.

They had painters and electricians working today, just to get the project done before tomorrow. Mad

I asked the painter if I REALLY ought to be cleaning this glass, since he is still painting the outside. He said "Oh yeah, no problem. If I get paint on the glass, I'll just razor it off".

Shocked

I could have crapped right there..... You NEVER razor glass DRY. Makes me wonder how many panes of glass he scratched the heck out of....

BUT at least I got a conversation about when I will get paid. The bill for his house has already been processed for payment, and my job today gets processed tomorrow. So it sounds like I will get paid mostly timely. So long as nothing gets to 30 days, I guess I will be ok with that. It also sounds like, at least in warmer weather, I'll get bonus work. Wished I could get hooked up with more like this one, but we are small town.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Today at 7:46 pm

Lol, I didn't even know you can't razor glass dry, I've done it to my rear view mirror before to remove the sticky residues from blind spot mirror Razz I'm learning something new today, so thanks Razz
And glad that you actually are getting paid.
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Today at 8:14 pm

That is why "0000" steel wool is your friend.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum