Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Suppliers and minimums

3 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Suppliers and minimums Empty Suppliers and minimums

Post by Freemind1 Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Do you guy have to deal with suppliers requiring a "minimum" order amount?

recently I stopped dealing with a supplier I have been pretty happy with. I went to call an order in for a gallon of oilflow and a pint of cement off in prep for this bank job coming up. The order was 65 bucks, but they would not process an order under 75 bucks. So I told them I guess they didn't want my business, and went to another supplier who has NO minimums.

I liked the old one a bit more, because they carry a little more stuff. I can get along fine with the new one, I just thought it was pretty stupid on the part of the old supplier that they hit you with a minimum like that.

So if all I needed was a gallon of oilflo, I'd have to order another 25 bucks worth of crap I don't need? Just seems stupid.

Over the coarse of a year, I end up spending a LOT of money on window stuff. But not every order is a few hundred at a whack.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Suppliers and minimums Empty Re: Suppliers and minimums

Post by dp1 Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Jon don is the only supplier I deal with currently, they have minimum of $ 350 if you want free shipping, as far as I know they don't have minimum as long as you pay for freight which can be expensive, especially if it's liquid.

Are you sure it's not a miscommunication on their part ? May be the $ 75 gets you free freight and under that you pay for freight ?

Seems kinda odd, but then again dultmeier also have minimum, I can't remember what that number is, I haven't order anything from them in almost 2 years now.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Nope. Not confused. They offered free shipping for orders over 299.00, but I've always paid freight with these guys. Freight from widow suppliers is pretty high anyway.

The new supplier, I just placed another order. 2 rectangular buckets with lids, one squeegee handle and two channels. Total was 80 some dollars and shipping was 20 bucks.

Usually to ship 4 gallons of something, it's 20 bucks.

Anyway, yeah, they won't take orders under 75 bucks. Which seems totally dumb to me. Most window cleaners are broke as a joke. Lots of new guys have a hard time affording tools, which in reality are CHEAP.
But most guys are in a race to the bottom with prices too. That's why I don't. I can cut a check for the tools I need or want.

But some guys can't afford a $100 order (which is 75 plus shipping) every time they need something. Even I won't just order crap to fill an order so I can get a few things necessary to do a job with. I'm not big enough to order stuff by the case or gross and store it.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 am

Sort of like a "truck minimum" fee?

Anyone driving across town to clean a hallway for $12? Me neither. I don't know why it would matter so much to a distributor, but then I don't know the ins / outs of that industry. There must be a financial reason behind it.

Just throwing it out there for consideration. I would have changed supplier as well, to be honest.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:11 am

I understand where you are coming from Rob.

It's just in this industry, even suppliers encourage new guys that they can start a business with 50 bucks.

Every one has a "kit" that is a bucket Bob in a box.

I just don't understand their "minimum" mentality, when they are busy trying to sell guys on the newest thing that will make them "money".

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Sounds like the opposite of carpet cleaning industry, suppliers are trying to sell us the most expensive thing / machine in the market, lol.
I just placed an order that hasn't been finalized nor shipped yet, first order for this year actually surprisingly, last order was end of December ( for tax deductible purposes ), and it's already close to $ 700, no it's not stocking up order like the end of december, this is an order that will be used right away since my shelf is almost empty, a 48 lbs of prochem pre spray, 6 gallons of upholstery pre spray, 2 gallons of ultrapac, 3 bags of booties, and 1 case of 3M scotchgard, that's expensive no ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Oh, they all try to sell you on the water fed pole and the filtration system. That's their big money. Some even sell truck mounted systems, but they are not as common as they are across the pond. No real need for them here.

For a solo guy like me in windows, we don't really need to order more that a couple hundred in supplies at a time a few times a year.

Main chems for us are window "soap", chems for hard water stains, and glass sealer. A gallon of "soap" can last a guy a year.

The main difference with us buying the expensive equipment, is most window guys are broke and unwilling to learn to clean glass a better way.

And to be honest, you don't have to be very bright to be a window cleaner. I've seen a lot of guys in this industry that are not too sharp. They make enough to get along, but they are happy to eek on by too.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:57 pm

I don't really understand the minimum order mentality either, but then I clean carpets for a living....a poor one at that.

I haven't placed any large orders yet this year as I still have a basement of chemicals that will easily last me to the end of the year. The only order I did make was for a few cases of Procyon which I use a lot on the corn-based fibers around here.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down