» Only in small town America
by milspec6 Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 pm

» Saigers chems
by milspec6 Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:01 pm

» Sympathy Factor
by milspec6 Thu May 24, 2018 11:13 pm

» Still have a few fans
by milspec6 Tue May 22, 2018 4:26 pm

I'll NEVER buy anything Kenmore again.....

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

I'll NEVER buy anything Kenmore again.....

Post by Freemind1 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Just over a year ago, I replaced our old refrigerator. It was older and the compressor went out.

Went to Sears and bought a new one. One year and 3 months later, it is not cooling right. Already checked the coils to make sure it was not dirty. I'm three months out of warranty.

I've made up my mind I will never but ANYTHING with Sears name on it again. Isn't the first time with something with a cord from there, dies just outside of the warranty. It will be the last time though.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Re: I'll NEVER buy anything Kenmore again.....

Post by milspec6 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 pm

This is a topic I know a lot about. I worked for an appliance shop back in college and learned a few things.

First, there are not that many manufacturers of appliances like refrigerators. They are made by about 5 companies and re-branded after. We used to deliver refrigerators and then choose from one of 5-6 name labels to apply when we set it up.

Second, they don't make them like they used to...defrost bulbs and crappy compressors. In some cases really crappy compressors. I had an old beer fridge that I kept in my garage for at least 22 years, which was a used unit that the store put a new compressor in back in 1994. It was actually built in the mid-80's....GE model side by side. It continues to purr along without an issue.

When I bought this house 10 years ago, I purchased a fancy GE model with filtered water and ice machines in the door and diagnostic lights. It had the defrost bulb assembly go out three times now and now the compressor is starting to make a growling noise......aka junk.

I am actually moving the beer fridge back into the house instead of buying a new one. It keeps things damn cold and has far more space inside with just the 4 racks instead of all the little compartments that the newer models have. No water or ice dispenser, but I didn't use them much anyway.

My advice is to buy an old model or else upgrade that compressor to something industrial rated....they used to be that way until they were being built over-seas.

If you look at the Bluebook cost guide you will see that the life expentency for a fridge is 10-15 years. When you were a kid, how many fridges did your parents buy? Probably just the one right? Then you got it when you moved out and was on your own, used it for another 5-7 years, bought a new one, and kept the old one in the garage as a beer fridge for a few more years.

So, what do you buy now? My favorite is an old Amana with the coils running up the back of the fridge. They last forever and never needed a fan.

Modern ones? They all kind of stink, but here is the breakdown:

Whirlpool: Owns Maytag, Amana, Kitchenaid, and Roper. A solid company, but still has some issues.

Frigidaire: Own Electrolux and build most of the Kenmores along with LG. You already know about their problems.

GE: This was my favorite choice in the modern age and built decent units, but they were bought out in 2016 by Haier which makes nothing except disposable junk. I would stay a long ways away from that brand now.

So, there you go. Buy one of the Whirlpool brands, find an old Amana with the coils running up the back, or any of the major brands from the 90's that are still running. Anything else will just be another failure in a few years.
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 am

And I thought Kenmore as a good rand. I did get over 12 years out of their was and dryer.

My fancy microwave that came with the house caught on fire WTF.

Yup fridges to last over 20 years
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 pm

I don't recall the year that Sears changed their business plan...maybe late 90's? Craftsman tools were just a step below Snap-On up until around the late 80's or early 90's. The reason for that was they were made side-by-side with Snap-On at the same foundry for decades. Now the Craftsman line is coming from a foundry in France and the metal is junk.

Actually, Stanley and Husky tools are made in the good foundry now so they are a pretty good deal these days and carry that same lifetime warranty.

Sears brands are just not quality any more, same is true for a lot of formerly great brands like Emglo air compressors (bought by Dewalt and now made in Mexico), DeWalt, etc. You just can't go buy brand anymore, you have to find out where it is made and to what specs.

Another key thing in appliances is that it isn't like a bottle of wine, the price doesn't equate quality. The price is often just due to marketing of the brand.

My favorite video I've seen on this was dealing with Vodka. They gathered 12 people who claimed to drink Vodka predominately and asked them what was the best Vodka....they All stated Grey Goose.

Then they held a blind taste test of the several brands of Vodka. There was no consistent winner, but when asked which one did they dislike the most, it was a unanimous winner...that Grey Goose.

Marketing is what sells a product these days, not the quality of it.......see the head fake? Carpet cleaning isn't about quality any more as much as it is about marketing and name value. A fact that I have finally come to accept as real.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:50 am

It's just frustrating how much stuff costs, and how little value it offers.

I needed a basic refrigerator when I bought mine. Didn't need ice/water or fancy stuff.

Thought I was getting a fair price, but all this stuff today is junk. I will never spend several thousand on a fridge. I learned my lesson on TV's too. Last TV, I got burned thinking a good brand name would have better components and last longer. Two years later (after spending 600 bucks) I was out buying another TV.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Disposable products is about all there is today. Hell, houses are built with an expected life of 30 years now. I was told that by 2 home builders now. How pathetic is that?

Mine was built in 1860 and I will take the build quality over all the fancy cardboard boxes being built today.

If I were you Freemind, I would hit the local used appliance stores and find you a basic fridge with an industrial compressor...have one installed if necessary. You will get a fridge that will last and for about a 1/3 the price.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:37 pm

That's the main reason why I always buy bigger purchases such as appliances, electronics, etc at Costco, they usually double the warranty and I also got another double the warranty from Amex, so when they ask me if I want an extended warranty, with a smile on my face, I told them I already got them for free Very Happy

4 or 8 years of full coverage warranty is better than 1 or 2 years.
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Nice tip there Dp, I never knew about those warranty deals.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:53 am

Another reason I need to get a Costco membership
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum