Latest topics
» Pricing....ouch
by Freemind1 Yesterday at 10:29 pm

» what would you charge
by Freemind1 Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Blsck friday/Cyber monday for business?
by Freemind1 Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» Dang HF......
by milspec6 Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 pm

» So I bought a......today
by milspec6 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:38 pm

» favorite citrus booster additive
by milspec6 Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:54 pm

» The weather doesn't seem to be slowing me down....
by milspec6 Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:50 pm

» Carpet Cleaner Aressted
by milspec6 Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 pm

» That's a shame
by milspec6 Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:11 pm

» Going back in time
by milspec6 Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:02 pm

» Expansion of services.
by Freemind1 Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 pm

» Trying to get on the forum
by Mo Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 pm

by Mo Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:48 pm

» Scaring a Millenial.....
by milspec6 Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Bait and switch company sucks.

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Bait and switch company sucks.

Post by dp1 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm

I just got a call from an Asian lady asked how much to clean 800 sq ft apartment, I asked her if the unit is empty ? She said no, it's not, I guesstimate cleanable areas is around 400 sq ft and told her it would be $ 160 as long as we can park within 250 feet from the furthest area to be cleaned, she balked and asked, is that include deep cleaning ? I said yes, it does, I thought she was going to say, thanks but no thanks ? She proceeded to tell me that there is a carpet cleaner in her apartment now and they were going to charge her $ 700, it's my turn to balk, lol, especially after that she told me that I got them from $ 59 coupon, I told her that she should kick them out of her apartment, not because I want you to hire me, but those bait and switches company is a disgrace, she told me that she'll call me back, I said ok, she called me back but haven't made an appointment yet, I don't know if she will nor that I care, but like Bob's other thread, is there a work ethic anymore ? Apparently not.
I was going to put this there but I'm trying to break a habit of hijacking threads laughing
dp1

Back to top Go down

Re: Bait and switch company sucks.

Post by dp1 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Well, she scheduled an appointment.
Just thinking about this further, those companies do make our jobs harder ! Put yourself on the customer's shoes, if they've been a victim, it's hard for them to trust a carpet cleaning company in the future, that's us, the honest hard working carpet cleaners.
It's a loss loss situation for everyone.
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm

That is terrible, those kind of vampires need to go under and soon. It does make us all look bad and scares off customers.

The house that I cleaned the other day acted shocked when I told her the price to clean the whole house. I thought I needed to explain why it was so high, but that wasn't the problem. She was quoted twice that by another cleaner before she was referred to me by a friend.

I don't know what some of these places are thinking some days.
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 pm

What kind of customer would put up with that.
I could understand $20-50 more. After that, "not today"!.
"$700?, get the h*#@ out. And let me help you get out faster".

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:57 pm

A lot of those places have a price list like the menu at a fancy restaurant. Had to park on the street...$10. Water Disposal fee...$10. No outlets near room, had to use wand...$15..etc.

It is getting to be worse than an IRS Audit with these companies.

milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 pm

And let me help you get out faster laughing
That's a good one Matt.
Yeah I used to upsell too when I started working in this industry, but like Matt said, I used to charge $ 15 - $ 35 / room more depending on what they need, if they need pet treatments and heavy soiled, then it would be closer to $ 35 more / room, that's on top of the coupon pricing, which is usually $ 50 / 2 rooms, $ 70 / 3 rooms and $ 90 / 4 rooms, so if you have 4 rooms ( 3 bedrooms and a living room ) and it's really bad, it would be $ 230, still pretty far from $ 700 Mad
She told me that her friend had to give them $ 50 to get them out of her apartment, because apparently they reduced the price from $ 700 to $ 200 and she had agreed for them to do it and they already started cleaning, she also told me that they were getting aggressive when she asked them to stop cleaning, that's why she gave them $ 50.
There are absolutely no work ethics anymore these days.
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:27 pm

And I bet they advertise that they are iicrc certified as well. Razz
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:31 pm

So I went there yesterday to clean the carpets for them, it turned out the customer had bait and switched me, lol, the apartment isn't 900 sq ft, as soon as I come in the living room is almost empty ( they said the apartment isn't empty, dining room is almost empty, one of the bedroom is almost empty, so I told her that the cleanable square footage is going to be much more than 450 sq ft, I measured and it came up to 700 sq ft, she didn't mind, I just feel bad because I don't want them to think that all carpet cleaners are the same, I explained to them that the guesstimate over the phone was based on the informations she gave me.
One of the bedroom was really bad and after I'm done it's almost spotless, I asked her which room that the other cleaner cleaned 2 days ago before you kicked them out, she said the room that's the worst, I was like what ? There were still lots of spots there, she said yup, that's why I kicked them out laughing
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 pm

That is one reason why I charge by room instead of sqft. An empty room makes me clean more, but not have to maneuver and block furniture so it still works out in my view.

This is such a timely topic, I cleaned a 2nd floor living room out in the country this morning. The house was on a horse ranch and the lower level was really a garage with living areas above it.

It took me about 30 minutes to find the place (gps actually took me to a point and then told me to make a u-turn and go back over the same route for 4 miles that an I already took to get to the place) and then 15 minutes to set-up and clean the living room.

When she asked what the bill was she just stared at me. I asked her what was wrong and she started telling me about all the charges she had to pay back in April to another cleaner. They charged for gravel roads, 2nd floor, rural home, limited water access, water disposal fee, and my favorite one....van car wash expenses.

I really don't understand these companies. Yes, all those things factor into a job, but to actually do line item charges for them is outrageous to me.

I just charged truck minimum, she doubled it with her tip. Nice gal and a joy to talk with while I loaded back up. She was also one of the first who actually visited my Facebook page as she commented on my Giraffe picture and the Sinatra singing.

I prefer to have my reputation than the blood suckers even if they do make more money.
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 am

You are right Rob, I think that is getting stupid when you have all those silly line items. Seems like a bold way to stick the screws to a customer. Are they going to line item water when it's hot or charge them for lunch when it close to lunch time?

I don't have any issues with someone being much more expensive. If they aren't offering the value to back up the price, they will end up running out of people who will pay the price.

But I think it is quite unethical to bait and switch. Those people should be subject to public flogging. The whole price should be upfront before the work starts.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:38 am

Absolutely, "price should be upfront before the work starts" that should always be the policy. Seems obvious, but it is actually rare around here.

milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:49 pm

That wouldn't fly here. If you change your price from whatever it was in the beginning, you'd get run out on a rail.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Customer said that when she told her guy that she was going to call the office, he backed down from $ 700 very quickly, the guy also asked to be paid by cash, so she was guessing partly the tech wants to pocket some of the cash for himself.
Regardless he was trying to raise the price ( the final price offered to them was $ 200 ), and my price was $ 280 Razz
The poor customer was out $ 320 Sad
Lose lose situation for everyone except for me I guess.
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I can't wait to see that company's reviews...
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum