Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

So I bought a......today

4 posters

Go down

So I bought a......today Empty So I bought a......today

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

I have some comm. jobs that are brutal on my knees, or are all day long. So today I drove over to the Seattle area and bought a bonzer @ rotovac. I've been wanting to get one of these type for awhile. The planets just didn't align like I needed. I've watched CL in the northwest, 1 would pop up every now and then; but I couldn't pull the trigger. Well I got a call 3-4 weeks back to do the forest service ranger station again. My acct has been looking healthy, so I pulled the trigger. I hope the 5.5 hr job can be cut down to 3ish.
Then I have a church I need to schedule and its about time for the movie theatre, and another church right at the end of the year. There are others. Just thinking about the increase in sf productivity, less running time on the tm,  and not so much repetitive motion(tendinitis sucks).

Now I got to figure how to tell the wife?
I know, fly her down to see our daughter and 2 grandsons in las Vegas. And pay for a mother\daughter pedicures-manicure. Yay, that's the ticket.
-so that's what I gave her for her birthday gift last wed.

Last edited by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : #*%$& spelling helper)
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

So I bought a......today Empty Re: So I bought a......today

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Good call on both plans.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Just tell its to extend you're cleaning career.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm

oh, and how these comm. jobs hurt my knees for the long hours.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:oh, and how these comm. jobs hurt my knees for the long hours.

They sure can. As my Grandfather always told me, never go cheap on shoes, a good pair will keep everything from the foot to the back pain free. Always a good investment. Since working at the post office, I have worn out 2 shoes in 4 months and each one cost me over $160. It sounds crazy and there are many carriers around me that buy inexpensive shoes, but I am getting the last laugh as 2 are down with back injuries, 1 with a sprained knee, 1 with a sprained ankle, and one with hip pain....all of them almost 2 decades younger than me.

Go with good shoes
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Rob is that job tougher than cleaning carpet.

Matt, If you cant walk you cant make any money so that 360 is a dam good investment
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Mo wrote:Rob is that job tougher than cleaning carpet.

Matt, If you cant walk you cant make any money so that 360 is a dam good investment

MUCH tougher Mo, probably the toughest job I have ever worked at this point. There is so much to learn and the speed you have to accomplish things is crazy fast, so you are always racing for 8-10 hours non-stop. I really feel like I am competing in 10k races on a daily basis 6 days per week. What really kills you are the newspapers and packages. It is one thing to walk a route with mail, but when you throw in the newspapers your satchal can end up weighing 40 lbs easily. After carrying that thing over your shoulder all day, it is a miracle that you don't end up in the ER for a dislocated shoulder or herniated disc in your back.

I work in a small town so I have it a little easy, but still, I deliver to 407 addresses on my route every single day and only about 1.5 hours of the day am I delivering while driving. Nope, I am speed walking the rest of it. It is certainly not what it was 12 years ago and nothing like it was described during the interview. Even worse, I am normally working 6 times per week so I only have one day to schedule any cleanings. Some I get done and some I just can't find any energy to take on after a long week.

I don't see a long association, either I break down too or else I just find something easier for an old man. Details of the tape: I started out at 234 lbs and a size 42 waist back in late May. Today, I am a 38 waist and 197 lbs....all from working at the Post Office.

Oh and about the shoes. Try the Brooks Addiction Walking shoe. It is not very attractive, but it has provided the best combination of cushion and support of any shoe to date. They are expensive, but a small price to pay to avoind arch pain, knee pain, hip/back.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:51 am

I seriously don't know how you do it Rob. I would not want to work that much, especially IF I'm not making 100+ an hour.

It seems like you are happy and it doesn't seem like you miss cleaning carpet much. That's all good. Whatever makes you happy and makes you feel content.

Myself, I don't really want to work like that. The last time I did, was when I drove garbage truck. Full on sprint all day from the front of the truck to the back, dump the trash, compact the load, and run back to the front of the truck. Paid good money, but don't miss running in high gear all day.

I am ready to just work for myself. Getting tired of working for other people that don't have a clue and pay you like you are a commodity.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, I am too tired to miss cleaning, there is just so much energy to go around. I don't really like working this hard either (especially for the pay rate) but it beats being broke and struggling to keep the lights on. It does not look like a long term solution though as I am not a kid anymore, but it might have to do unti I can get another run at things next Spring.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 pm

Are you going to be able to scale back the days you work for the post office, before you go back full time cleaning?

My plan for Spring is, advertise and as soon as the schedule is full enough, tell the employer to eat a bag of dic*s. Being full time will also give me the opportunity to talk to commercial bids, that I had no time for this year. Between the full time job and running my butt off for the business, there were too many things I could not get to.
This is assuming the same drive in business next year, that I have had this year.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:11 pm

There will be no scaling back at the post office...likely the opposite which is not what I was signing up for nor what was told to me in the interview. The only way that I would stay long term would be if they make me a full-time regular so that I could be ineligible for overtime, draw better pay, and be able to get into the retirement plan with a 17 year credit from military service. That often takes years to accomplish which I will not stick around long enough to see it.

I would prefer to get back on the truck and control my own life again. I am hoping that my former client begins to regret their choice this year and seek me back on a new multi-year contract. There has been a lot of complaints and there are rumors of this being a possiblility, but until that happens I will be stuck running the mail.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:21 pm

So I used the bonzer(original thread topic;) on sat @ forest service ranger station. Started with a lot of cubicals and short hallways. Had a!young man help move chairs and pre-spray(he did great work). I hardly had to wait for him.
Last bldg had a conf RM, gym, and office. 2500 sf don't room=30-40 minutes. It wasn't dirty, just a little dusty. I liked how it handled.
Got a basement at a church on wed; about3500fs. Usually takes 2 hrs.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Glad to hear it worked well for you, did you find it slower or faster than wanding for you? I almost never used the rotary on large commercial as it seems slower to me than wanding...especially if running solo. It definately saves some wear and tear on the body by eliminating the repetitve motions.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Bonzer, not a 360.
Like a zipper.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:Bonzer, not a 360.
Like a zipper.

Oh, I see what you are talking aobut now...guess I have been off the truck too long.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:23 pm

So I saved about 25 min , from what usually takes 2 hrs. On the basement in a church.
- one section the carpet was turned in a different direction(from install); so on this polypropylene, with wear- I could only push the bonzer. It would grab the fibers and was really hard to pull. So that area was a little slower. But over all I saved time!
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Saving time and wear on the body are both big winners in this industry! Sounds like money well invested.

I still have to finally produce my new wand designs which I have been playing with for over a year now. With the convention coming up, I might be able to produce some prototypes and be able to find a vendor looking to produce them. I really think that it will change a lot of things for the solo operator and those with carpel tunnel injuries.

I guess I do have some time now that the fall has turned cold and we had our first snow a week ago. The cleaning season will be dead in about 3 weeks anyway around here.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Matt why did you buy that push wand over the
zipper?

Looking forward to that new design Rob.

Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't know Matt's motivation on that choice, but I would go that route over the Zipper every time. The Bonzer does what the Zip never could...clean in both directions due to spray jets facing both directions. It probably isn't nearly as bomb-proof in construction, but that design difference is an improvement.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:14 pm

So I was doing part 2 of a theatre today. I did a little productivity evaluation. I did a rough measurement of an area-about 800sf. Pre sprayed, cleaned w/ bonzer, dry pass=14 min.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:38 pm

That is really moving well....efficiency is the key to max profits.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down