Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I lost a job because I was the lowest bid

+6
milspec6
ACpower1
Ryan S
ODIN
Andy Mc
Mo
10 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

I lost a job because I was the lowest bid Empty I lost a job because I was the lowest bid

Post by Mo Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 am

So I go do this quote for 6 rooms. It came to a little over 300.00. Apparently I was the lowest of 4 bids that he received. I guesstimated it would take me 3 hours to complete. He said that one cleaner told him it would take 8 hours to complete WTF. One cleaners came in at almost double my quote. The guy was rent the home in a very expensive part of town I suspect why the bids came in on the high side.

I had a few more reviews online that on other cleaner. He had me send him screen shots of my most recent Angies list reviews and I offered to do a demo in the worst room and I still didn't get the job. The only thing that I can think off is that because I came in low he lost confidence that I could get the job done.  I have to raise my prices before I start losing more work Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

I lost a job because I was the lowest bid Empty Re: I lost a job because I was the lowest bid

Post by Andy Mc Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:33 am

I don't think it was price,     one of the other cleaners gave him a hard sales pitch  and filled the guys mind with BS,    

the guy probably ended up believing the other cleaner was the only guy on the planet that could do a good job, with his "proprietary"   cleaning chemicals, and his  "patented TM steam rinse system"   and his   "triple certified techs"

And lets no forget the other cleaner was "BBB"  approved, and "ethical service provider"    "CRI   approved"    and he has a golden wand that disinfects as he cleans and makes "patented dry strokes"  with

Next time insult the man,  tell him ,  listen dumb ass ,  this is not rocket science.  Quality will vary from one company to the next,   however you know I will give you my best effort,  because my entire life is on the line here,  (Owner, Operater)    I can afford to do this quality job for you for less then what most other companies can,   because I have a lower over head then most, and I don't spend $50,000  per year on public brain washing marketing .

MY WORK IS MY ADVERTIZING.

Andy Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

I lost a job because I was the lowest bid Empty Re: I lost a job because I was the lowest bid

Post by Mo Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:49 am

Ain't that the truth Andy.  Here's an example of where setting expectations bit me in the ass Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:19 am

It's not a bad approach. When I bid jobs like that or well really jobs on general I don't want to be the highest nessasarly, but up at the top. The price point is not always the resin for the bid. Sometimes it's part of the equation that is used to determine quality. 

I remember bidding a large 23k sq ft job. There were three different companies in the mix. One of which I knew by the description of his presentation. I knew that bid would be the lowest. After being selected for the work, I asked why we were chosen. His response was that it wasn't cause you were the cheapest, you were the highest. We felt like the way the relationship was handled from the first call through looking over the job, your company would provide is with the best service. 

We were selected to clean a church this upcoming week. In this location we were bidding against Stamley. I will be asking why we were chosen after completion. 

Oh one more, we recently did an estimate for a local community non profit. In a conversation with them about supporting their efforts in our comunity. They explained why the clientele that they attract is why they choose our services. They responded that the way your company handled our needs over the phone and during pre inspection, we knew you were the right decision. They said well we put off cleaning because of, well you know, most of the companies on town are not so good, and their professionalism is Nonexistent. 

Sometimes money just doesn't seal the deal. Not that was what you were after Mo. Just making a point that could help others.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mc Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:30 am

When ever I bumped my price to be more in line with the higher end cleaners, I lost the bid. When ever I price it at a point I know most other cleaners can't touch I won the bid. I works both ways.

I think the Main thing is price enough to not hate the job, yet if your hungry don't let pride get in the way of you working for less then you think your worth. Lost 3 nice potential commercial jobs in the last couple months cause I felt I was worth more.

Andy Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 am

Don't you guys think that if you come in at the lowest that it plants a seed in the potential customers mind the quality may not be there?  I need to work on my sales presentation.

PS.  I start off at $46.00 per room so it's not very often that I come in at the low end of the scale
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:39 am

I agree Mo. Presentation plays a good part on the while experience.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 am

After my first three rooms I charge .30 cents per square feet but I do have some flexibility after my first three rooms.

The majority of the rooms were lightly soiled and it was going to be vacant  I estimated the time it would take and went with 30.00 per room for the remaining rooms.

If I would have stuck to my square foot pricing for the remaining rooms I would have been more in line with the rest of the bids except that 600.00 dollar bid affraid
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:30 pm

The empties tend to be easier to bid but the rich upscales homes with furniture can be more difficult

we have some companies here that will want to move every single piece of furniture and charge 1000.00,

some want to just go once over and charge super low.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:36 pm

It comes down to your market. I was told once that the rich expect you to gouge them, if you come in low, they feel like they are being cheated somehow. They like bragging about how much they had to pay...sort of a status symbol.

For the rest of the world, bidding in the middle with a personal touch normally gets you the nod. If the dog likes you, fluffy the cat rubs your leg, the infant laughs as you trip over the stairs, or any other personal charms...you will get the job regardless of bid.

By the way, it was my rich brother who offerred the first bit of advice and he has been correct most of the time when I bid on them.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Mo wrote:So I go do this quote for 6 rooms. It came to a little over 300.00. Apparently I was the lowest of 4 bids that he received. I guesstimated it would take me 3 hours to complete. He said that one cleaner told him it would take 8 hours to complete WTF. One cleaners came in at almost double my quote. The guy was rent the home in a very expensive part of town I suspect why the bids came in on the high side.

I had a few more reviews online that on other cleaner. He had me send him screen shots of my most recent Angies list reviews and I offered to do a demo in the worst room and I still didn't get the job. The only thing that I can think off is that because I came in low he lost confidence that I could get the job done.  I have to raise my prices before I start losing more work Very Happy

The way I see it is the loss is theirs, not yours Mo :-)
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Milspec said, "It comes down to your market.  I was told once that the rich expect you to gouge them, if you come in low, they feel like they are being cheated somehow.  They like bragging about how much they had to pay...sort of a status symbol."

I do, a well to do friends house 2x/yr. 8 areas for $500. Takes 4 hours. When I give them the bill, they always ask; is that all? So I have started using a response of, "that doesn't include a tip'?.  So they add something and they feel good about what I get.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:23 pm

WEll, that's an easy fix, quote higher prices, that's the way I prefer to loose them!  cheers 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 am

Very Happy That's true Dave
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SixShooter Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 am

Mo wrote:So I go do this quote for 6 rooms. It came to a little over 300.00. Apparently I was the lowest of 4 bids that he received. I guesstimated it would take me 3 hours to complete. He said that one cleaner told him it would take 8 hours to complete WTF. One cleaners came in at almost double my quote. The guy was rent the home in a very expensive part of town I suspect why the bids came in on the high side.

Don't over think it. There's too much you don't know about his reasoning. Renter getting reimbursed? May be a kickback involved? Who knows?
SixShooter
SixShooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 pm

ODIN wrote:I just got a job because I was the lowest bid

not bad just told the guy the truth you want it clean or just looking good

3000 sq commercial glue down pretty new in good shape

250 bucks a Rotary and some of Joe's juice thank you very much

no one offered the guy encap took me under two hours I turned the bill in latter after lunch to make it look like it took me longer LOL

You may have been the lowest bid, but that wasn't why you got the job. Never sell yourself short, you got that job because of the way you presented yourself, the price was just the frosting.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down