Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Contract Chasing

+9
Pro Touch
cush83669
ACpower1
Andy Mc
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Davey Cracker
Mo
Devon07
milspec6
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Contract Chasing Empty Contract Chasing

Post by milspec6 Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:02 am

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the new apartment complex owner of the buildings I used to clean. Not only are we going to discuss the former buildings, but they also own the other 3 buildings in this small town. If all goes well, I will have every apartment building in this small town under contract (approx 710 units...all 2 bedroom or furnished units).

Now, don't get me wrong, I really don't like cleaning apartments all that much, but they are all located within 4 miles of each other. If the terms are good, this could be a really good addition to my route and greatly reduce my need to advertise in that area as well.

Right now, I think it is about an 85% lock, but I haven't heard the terms yet. The previous owner was a cheap bastard, but he did pay within a week. If I can hold this guy to a 15-30 day term with a greater rate, I will be happy.

Dang it Andy, that 360i would probably be a good tool for this account as the Hoss 700 and Rx20 are a bit heavy dragging up 3 flights of stairs all day. See what you did?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Contract Chasing Empty Re: Contract Chasing

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 am

Nice deal. hope the best for you on this, 700 units can keep you busy. how long does it take you to do one? 360i in your future!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm

Good luck Rob.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Devon07 wrote:Nice deal. hope the best for you on this, 700 units can keep you busy. how long does it take you to do one?  360i in your future!

I'm slow, but my standard is much higher than most. My slogan right on the van is to get carpets as clean as possible, so that includes all the steps. Some owners don't want that and just look for a hot water flush, but I strive for better.

To do a 2 bed apartment (10x10 rooms, 12x15 living room, hallway) from set-up to dry down it takes me a little over an hour. That includes stain removals as well.

The previous cleaner of these buildings spent less than 20 minutes and wasn't dry until the next day. From what I could tell, he didn't prespray, just used an extraction rinse and was soaking the place. According to the property manager, the cleaner once told him that "All you need is just really hot water to clean anything" so you get the idea. They still paid him $75 per unit for that level of service despite leaving behind a gritty texture, highly visible traffic patterns, and stains.

I'm shooting for $150 which is high for this region, but they will actually be getting their money's worth for a change. I think I will be able to get it.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Copy this above comment and use it as the very thing to use in your sales pitch.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:24 pm

I have my pitch ready and the above is part of it.

I get to inspect a unit with the manager that was just cleaned by the big name franchise cleaner 2 days ago. I plan to educate her greatly on what passes for cleaning in this industry....might even re-clean a section to prove my point.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Wow, sounds like another nice one to land.........may the Force be with you!!
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Go get em tiger.

Last edited by Matt; My carpet cleaner on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

milspec6 wrote:Tomorrow I have a meeting with the new apartment complex owner of the buildings I used to clean.  Not only are we going to discuss the former buildings, but they also own the other 3 buildings in this small town.  If all goes well, I will have every apartment building in this small town under contract (approx 710 units...all 2 bedroom or furnished units).

Now, don't get me wrong, I really don't like cleaning apartments all that much, but they are all located within 4 miles of each other.  If the terms are good, this could be a really good addition to my route and greatly reduce my need to advertise in that area as well.

Right now, I think it is about an 85% lock, but I haven't heard the terms yet.  The previous owner was a cheap bastard, but he did pay within a week.  If I can hold this guy to a 15-30 day term with a greater rate, I will be happy.

Dang it Andy, that 360i would probably be a good tool for this account as the Hoss 700 and Rx20 are a bit heavy dragging up 3 flights of stairs all day.  See what you did?
" Dang it Andy, that 360i would probably be a good tool for this account as the Hoss 700 and Rx20 are a bit heavy dragging up 3 flights of stairs all day. See what you did?".

No it wouldn't! cyclops
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mc Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:58 am

anything is heavy when going up 3 flights, should be a law against it!

Andy Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:15 am

Andy Mc wrote:anything is heavy when going up 3 flights,  should be a law against it!  

So, true.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 am

well milspec....did you talk with them?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 am

Re-clean it to enforce it! SWEET, I would love to be a fly on the wall.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Just roll up in one of those units with your crb and show them what digs out

I love doing that, house was cleaned 3 months ago.. already dirty again. Walk in with the crb and show them what a carpet thatcher does...
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Finished my meeting about 40 minutes ago.

Met the young lady and had her take me to the "just cleaned" apartment.  The carpet was so stiff that you could actually feel the sodium grit and she told me that the stains came back in the living room.

So, I set up and re-cleaned the living room for her as we talked about why I was doing what I did and the benefits of each tool in the process.  Dropped the airpath on it and re-loaded the van....dry when I was done and the painters were able to go right to work.

Spent the next 90 minutes in the office talking about the industry, how other cleaners were cheating her, and what I did that was so different.  We never did talk about price until the very end.

Her last 3 cleaners were the kind that we all hear complaints about on a daily basis.  They spent 15 minutes cleaning a 2 bedroom apartment, left it wet for 24 hours, stains returned, carpet crusty, but it smelled nice.  She also said that none of them would come out in the winter if it was below 40 degrees.

I gave her a casual education on carpet, how to rid stains, deal with dog urine, truck mounts, cleaning methods, etc...she was very interested in all of it and kept smiling when I told her what other cleaners might try to take an unfair advantage of her, so I know that I was hitting home.

When it came down to pricing, she was only used to the square footage method and was not able to grasp my flat rates.  In one building, the apartments are all 3-bedroom with 1,130 sqft floor plans while the others ranged from 750 to 1,000, so the footage can add up pretty quick.

I still can't figure out how anyone could clean 1,130 sqft in 15 minutes...or even the 750 for that matter, so you get the idea of what must have been going on inside.  Damn shameful if you ask me.

When the smoke cleared, she hired me to clean her house and told me she wants me to be the new cleaner, but there was a catch.  To me a big one.  In order to work for them they require contractors to be listed with "Netvendor" which provides a background and tracking service which I would have to sign up for and maintain my status.

Looking over the documents, they would require me to give them full access to my insurance records, job records, criminal records, credit file, etc. to ensure "quality" and "reliability" status.

Now, I am not concerned with anything in my records as I go through a full FBI screening at my day job each year to include a psychological profile and I might be the most insured of any company in my region due to the work at the Zoo, but I am still very uncomfortable with having to provide this much intrusion.  Maybe it is the tin foil hat that I wear, but I feel that this crosses a line....I also suspect that there is a fee involved.

It would be a very good contract as my residential work all would be in that same small town so I could amass a pretty dense client list in a 5 mile circle.  The size of these units also affords some good tickets, which it sounds like they have been over-paying for to date.

They want my services....just not sure if I want to be tattooed in order to get the work.

What do you guys think?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Do it! I can assure you ths day and age they know more about you already than you do. get the job and have a contract they need to agree to as well. The bright side is this very set up weeds out 75% of others.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cush83669 Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 pm

I would be happy to provide insurance info tax info and enough info for the background check but no way in hell would I pay to be a vendor. Better yet tell her you have a customer application fee of $xxx and require a full credit check after all you are extending them credit till they pay you. This is your company flat out, they either want you or they don't.
cush83669
cush83669

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:52 pm

cush83669 wrote:I would be happy to provide insurance info tax info and enough info for the background check but no way in hell would I pay to be a vendor. Better yet tell her you have a customer application fee of $xxx and require a full credit check after all you are extending them credit till they pay you. This is your company flat out, they either want you or they don't.

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I am used to showing my license and business insurance, but to go farther than that doesn't feel right to me. I guess I am a small town hand-shake kind of guy and this flies into the face of that.

I have known the owner of that corporation since high school, maybe I can find some compromise.

I will be cleaning some "test" apartments in the near future, so their is some time to think this one over.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I agree, and think the same way, having to provide so much personal info even tho I also don't have anything to hide.

But, it really does sound like a great account, so I would do it if needed to lock up the deal.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:04 pm

That's my problem....good contract, but gut feels not right here.

When you research this company, they tell you that they use your information to "refer to other companies" and they charge an "enrollment fee" but never say what that amount is until you sign up...red flags all around.

The contract is clearly mine for the taking and I am not one to walk away from what looks like a pretty lucrative deal, but I will need to think this one over a little. Terms are important to me and this one needs to be fleshed out a little bit more.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

When was the last time you applied for a mortgage? They get all in you business too.

I checked out the site and of course they don't give any info on fees. I say do it but let them know you have not factored the cost of that vendor membership into your quote. A membership that you will only be using to do business with them. Warren Buffet didn't ask for it Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I think you'll make a better decision once you speak to someone at that vendor site. Go with your gut. If you decide that's not something you want to do.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Great point Mo....Warren didn't ask for it and neither did the Zoo.

I go through a intensive check every year, but it stays there. This company wants the ability to share it. I really don't need another 100 calls per day offering business loans.

If they agree to a 2 year contract, I would probably bite the bullet. If it was just for a year, maybe not worth it to me. I see no reason to pay someone for my background check on a monthly, quarterly, etc. basis to be allowed to negotiate a contract.

I think I will call them in the morning to find out more information.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh I missed the part about sharing your info that wouldn't sit well with me either
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro Touch Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:11 am

I feel for you Mil. I just turned down a cleaning contract for a motel chain that went through a third party vendor. One of those deals where they want you to sign a non compete, hold harmless contract, put them on your insurance and basically sign all your rights away as their vendor. It would have meant steady income, but my Spidy sense said walk away. I really don't like third party vendors anyway.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next