Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

How do you handle the request for multiple quotes

5 posters

Go down

How do you handle the request for multiple quotes Empty How do you handle the request for multiple quotes

Post by Mo Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:07 pm

So you get a call for a commercial quote you spend the time and money to go out and give a quote and you don't get the job. The following year you get another call from the same company for another request for a quote. If all things are the same I pull the quote from last year and send it off. The third time they call I let them know that I have already given them two quotes and they have gone with another company on both occasion and that we probably are not a good fit. 

I have only had to do that twice but I'm sure that is not good business practice. I think I might be letting my emotions get in the way of securing this business. I should probably place a follow up phone call after every quote to find out why I didn't win the bid or why they they need to request a quote every year. For some it maybe part of the process but for others it maybe due to bad service.

How do you guys handle these?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

How do you handle the request for multiple quotes Empty Re: How do you handle the request for multiple quotes

Post by dp1 Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:18 pm

I've only had that issue once, first year I went there and spent almost an hour measuring and counting steps, etc, 2nd year I told them on the phone whatever the quote from last year we will honor, 3rd year I told them hell no, the 1st year estimate plus 10%, which came up close to 4 grand, 4th year ( this year ) they didn't call anymore, I wonder why ? Shocked
I usually don't waste my time on those commercial jobs, they usually are required by their bosses to get 3 - 5 estimates and they almost always go with the cheapest, the 1st year when I actually went there, they had said that they are not happy with their cleaners that they used last year and when I asked them how they did it, he said they use the rotary machine, I asked him if there's a vac hose attached to it or not, he said no, only electrical cord, so I knew it wasn't HWE, I explained the difference and he said the HOA is very strict on having no hoses connected to the machine outside due to people slip and fall and suing them, I told him, we can use portable machine but the cost will be a lot more, he asked me to email a separate estimate for that, they never called until the following year, a bunch of bozos running the HOA.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

How do you handle the request for multiple quotes Empty Re: How do you handle the request for multiple quotes

Post by milspec6 Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I'll tell you what I do Mo....I provide quotes in person only.

Think about it this way. Have you ever hired a contractor to work on your house (roof, gutters, etc.)? Which one impressed you, the quotes in an email or the guy who actually came out?

People make a connection when they decide on hiring somebody. Looking at numbers on paper doesn't build any connection. They connect with the person, their truck, logo, accent, cologne, etc.

Even in large commercial, it still applies....I live by those contracts and that is the only way that I have been successful. When they ask for a bid, invite yourself down to look at the job and meet with the Facilities Manager to find out what specific concerns they might have.

You do that and you will close on a lot more contracts....especially if you have the charm to back it up.

Cold bids only work if you have a well-known reputation or else you were the lowest bidder. If you are always the lowest bidder, you will go broke.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Like milspec...I NEVER dismiss a chance. If they are calling each year they are not happy and I use that to my advantage and put it ON paper so the UPPER guys can read it...I tell them I have quoted every year they called 100% at my expense and would really like a shot to impress them....cost should never be the reason to not give a job.....if its cost only...please remove me from the list.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Devon07 wrote:Like milspec...I NEVER dismiss a chance. If they are calling each year they are not happy and I use that to my advantage and put it ON paper so the UPPER guys can read it...I tell them I have quoted every year they called 100% at my expense and would really like a shot to impress them....cost should never be the reason to not give a job.....if its cost only...please remove me from the list.

Well stated....that's a point for you.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:30 pm

milspec6 wrote:I'll tell you what I do Mo....I provide quotes in person only.

Think about it this way.  Have you ever hired a contractor to work on your house (roof, gutters, etc.)?  Which one impressed you, the quotes in an email or the guy who actually came out?

People make a connection when they decide on hiring somebody.  Looking at numbers on paper doesn't build any connection.  They connect with the person, their truck, logo, accent, cologne, etc.

Even in large commercial, it still applies....I live by those contracts and that is the only way that I have been successful.  When they ask for a bid, invite yourself down to look at the job and meet with the Facilities Manager to find out what specific concerns they might have.

You do that and you will close on a lot more contracts....especially if you have the charm to back it up.  

Cold bids only work if you have a well-known reputation or else you were the lowest bidder.  If you are always the lowest bidder, you will go broke.

I don't think I can really say anything that hasn't already been said.
Maybe other than when I get a call like for a job like that where they tell you they're getting 3-5 quotes, or it's seems that way, I will sometimes weed them out on that first phone conversation.....I do it with residential too when I get the 'many quote red flag'. Smile

But I really like what Rob said in the quote above......especially the part about being face to face with them.

Most of my competition won't even go out and give an in person quote, only over the phone. And I've heard from many many customers that became my customer instead of my comp., that they appreciated the fact I was willing to come out and give them an exact WRITTEN in person quote, as opposed to just the 'throw out a number verbal price', including only verbal even if they did come out. How can that even remotely be presented to a spouse like a written one can?

I recently landed a big res. job that my quoted price was close to or double in one case exactly double out of the 3 bids he got, and the crazy part was the guy told me "I never pay the highest price or go with the highest quote for anything. When I was there doing the work we had a nice long chat, including him telling me all about who I was bidding against, and how they fell short and didn't get the job even though were much cheaper.
This was all due to doing what I said in the paragraph above this one. And this guy left me by far the best Yelp review I've gotten out of the 60+ 5 star reviews I have on their, which I think was a great bonus!

And to reiterate on what Rob said.....
Like it or not, we're in a sales biz, selling our self's and our great service. How can that be properly done if you're not face to face? Wine
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:36 pm

BTW nothing but great responses here, nice jobs guys! wink

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:50 pm

I gave everybody a reputation point for those responses. We really are in the people business right?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Yes we are!!
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Thats true Mo.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:14 pm

But I do think at some point the definition of insanity has to kick in Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down