Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Quality of helpers

4 posters

Go down

Quality of helpers Empty Quality of helpers

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:39 am

I know that I have been hard on the work ethic or lack there of with today's generation in the work-force, but I had to tell you about this one.

Last job was the event room and normally takes me about 5-6 hours to clean and another 40 minutes worth of load out. My neighbor turned me down, but told me that his friend has been unemployed since Sept. and could really use some work. When I talked to this friend, he told me that he used to deliver propane to rural farms so I figured he would be used to dragging hoses and offerred the job.

He was a kid in his mid-20's with a couple of years worth of college before dropping out due to cost. He was married with a child on the way, so I expected someone who would at least keep up with me. Once we laid out the hoses (275 feet) I explained to him that his duties were simple, just keep the hoses out of my way, that was it. I didn't even expect him to pre-spray or anything, just keep the hoses out of way. I use my wand like a drag wand on this job and will walk back about 30 feet with each pass so there are a lot of hoses to trip over. Again, his only job was to keep the hoses out of the way.

As soon as I explained his job, he walked over to the bathroom where he saw a chair, picked it up, and placed it about 50 feet behind me. He then sat down and used his feet to kick the hoses out of the way so that he didn't have to bend over. Not only was it amazingly lazy, but it was also completely ineffective. I had to keep calling to him to pull the hoses throughout the day and after about 2 hours, his face was glued to his cell phone so it became even worse. I didn't want to be an ogre, but I had to lecture him to keep focussed on his job. When the job got done (just shy of 5 hours) I directed him to roll up the extra hoses and get the van loaded while I finished a hallway....that never quite happened and the hoses were just laying on the ground when I came back to the van.

Needless to say, good help is getting very hard to find. I think I am going to have to start looking for older people in the future...couldn't be any worse.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Quality of helpers Empty Re: Quality of helpers

Post by Freemind1 Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 am

Laziness isn't limited to millennial's. Everyone seems to have their nose buried into their phones.

Maybe you need to have first time helpers drive to the job the first time. If they act like this kid, just fire them and make them leave. You layed out expectations, they can't meet them. No sense paying some lazy punk when they have no value to you. Maybe that makes me sound like a jerk, but what jerk ignores their work at hand and doesn't do their job?
It's no wonder fast food wants to replace workers with machines. People are SO lazy.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Having them transport themselves isn't a bad idea for the reasons that you stated. I have used the drive time to explain the job, but being a first timer I only had the one job for him to complete, so it didn't matter. Trust me, as soon as he pulled out the chair he would have been sent packing if he drove himself.

I would probably be in shock if I could find a helper who had some work ethic.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 pm

5 hrs x $\hr = ?
Minus face/nose time on phone = he owes you $25
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:29 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:5 hrs x $\hr = ?
Minus face/nose time on phone = he owes you $25

laughing
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 am

I would have been on his ass all day. After the job I would have paid him and left his ass there. Then I would have called my neighbor and chewed his out LOL. Geez I'm in a foul mood this morning.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down