Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

floods, carpet install, other large ticket services

3 posters

Go down

floods,  carpet install,   other large ticket services Empty floods, carpet install, other large ticket services

Post by ACpower1 Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:29 pm

I think it is important to supplement a business with services that are a larger ticket

you dont need many floods per year to make a killing, do you guys think that too much goes right to franchises like serv pro, service master, superior?

I know the insurance companies tend to deal with them, but also seems that smaller companies can do really well too.

what about carpet install? If we offered this service would have had a 8k job at least yesterday... customer would have booked it right then but we have only installed small rooms when there is major pet damage, not hallways, stairs, etc

ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

floods,  carpet install,   other large ticket services Empty Re: floods, carpet install, other large ticket services

Post by milspec6 Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:20 am

Around here, only the franchises are making big money in flood work and insurance companies prefer to deal with them only as they have discounted arrangements. The small guy is only going to get a call from those without insurance coverage and they want it cheap, and I mean cheap.

There are always things out there (repair and installs for example), but they all come with high end risks and headaches. Silk rugs can make you a lot of money, but screw one up and you take a hard hit. Same is true with mold, lead paint, crime scenes, etc.

I like the idea of repairs and maybe dyeing as you are going to be able to get those jobs very easily once you are in the home. Same is true with upholstery and tile of course and we all do that already.

Then there is all the equipment needed and the means to get it to the job. Maint. costs on the that special equipment and insurance all factor in as well. This is one of the reasons I left floods, meth labs, and radon.

Carpets will always get you in the door, I would focus on services that directly support that fact since you already have the mobile cleaning plant with your TM. Repairs, installs, dyeing, tile and stone, wood floors, upholstery, rugs, drapes, etc., those are where it makes more sense to me than to branch out into unrelated fields like floods and structual drying.

I could have saved tons on all the equipment and insurance costs that I paid over the years if I would have followed this advice.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

floods,  carpet install,   other large ticket services Empty Re: floods, carpet install, other large ticket services

Post by ACpower1 Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:05 pm

ya,      im not sure flood work is the best way to go...   if you can get established its really great but we have a strong serv pro,  service master presence here since flood work is big in Seattle

I like all the add on services,    but I think a large ticket service of some kind is key      

Really leaning towards being able to offer full carpet install as I think there is a niche for high quality install

the reasons are

-I can recommend a good carpet that will last a long time with maintenance, a lot of installers dont ever clean carpet so they really dont know what cleans well and holds up, after the install they are long gone.

-Flooring stores push what ever carpet they get on discount wholesale that month,   even if its crap... I have customers that bought their "high quality" which was frizze' crap

-If you cant clean it,   you can replace it

-I would have material with pictures that show crappy install after 5 years,   and would explain that we seal edges to help stop filtration soiling  

-Also would have material that shows that not all medium to high grade carpet is very good or even last very long

-once your set up and established you can offer financing (3rd party)

and the biggest one....  which I know some would disagree with

-Can sell a maintenance plan included in price with install,    in my mind this only makes sense... and I cant understand why more companies dont do it...   but there very few I see that do are killing it.

Whenever we installed sod,  hydroseeded,  or full landscape install  we almost always sold maintenance at the same time.     It was an easy sell,    you just simply show them pictures of what a 12k install looks like after 5 years with no maintenance

Not to mention this makes you truly full service,  with repairs,  cleaning and install.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:20 pm

I like your thinking on the install service. Being able to follow-up the sale with annual re-stretch and maint. cleaning is very smart.

The only concern I would have is the appearence of a conflict at times. Would anyone question your advice to clean it or replace it since you profit more on replacement? Maybe set up a seperate business for that task and hire a good installer to handle it to remove yourself a little.

I think you have a good idea, over-all, I have been thinking the same thing except it is tough to do when working solo. Still, run with it and report back on what your learn. bounce 
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Ya there would be a bit of questioning about whether to clean or replace, but we would just have to rely on reputation that we will only do what is best for the customer.

the nice thing is once you install they wont be shopping for a different carpet cleaning every year which we all know just turns into a witches brew of different residues and spotters.

also when you do an install your getting a long term cleaning customer

I would couple the whole package with a vacuum that has our logo on it, my favorite vacuum the bissel clean view $80

I know it would be hard but if you had the full circle there is people who like carpet but dont like all the headaches involved with pre mature wear, finding the right cleaning company, and so on.

Install, maintenance, with a vacuum. If they went for the package you could easily bring them a new/refurbished $80 vac each year and just switch theres out each time, take it back to the shop... replace filters, clean it up, and put new decals on it.

ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:04 pm

I get most of my customers because I am a multi-service business and many like dealing with just one person for all their needs, so your package idea is a very good one. Even better would be to arrange special pricing with your favorite flooring store to really make it a slam dunk.

IF you have the skill, tools, and staffing to pull this off, it sounds like a great idea. If you don't, there is no reason that you couldn't sub out the work if you know an honest tradesman looking for the work and you keep your name on the project.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:22 pm

I have a close friend that has been installing carpet for 20years but I have never seen his work,   he is a friend and I would think that based on him he does a great job but still it all comes down to what it looks like after 5 years or so.  

work something out with a flooring store,    or open a flooring store....   could start small with a small space

would be nice to be able to show people that builders grade is actually more expensive because it looks like crap after 5 years,   and a slightly higher quality nylon can look great for 15+
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down