Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

LG Heaters

+3
Mo
Davey Cracker
milspec6
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LG Heaters Empty LG Heaters

Post by milspec6 Fri May 02, 2014 8:07 pm

I dismantled my heater today to see what condition it is in and found a very rusty burner ring and broken thermocouple. Should I assume that the coil has been leaking or could this be from water exposure from underneath?

I intend to fill it up and find out if it holds pressure, but I have doubts at this point. If it needs a new coil, should I also assume the need to replace the buner assembly as well or would the rust just be cosmetic aspect of it being iron.

Seems to be the only weak part of this Judson project as everything else checks out excellent. Still, a bad heater would kind of suck. The coils are well coated with carbon, but I can't see any cracks yet.

LG Heaters Img_2025

LG Heaters Img_2026
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

LG Heaters Empty Re: LG Heaters

Post by Davey Cracker Fri May 02, 2014 8:27 pm

All looks normal to me, black soot on coil, and the rusty burner totally normal!....after all the burner is un-coated cast iron so it rust.

I'd say just fire it up and run some pressure threw it and see, but it's not an indication of a leaky coil from what I see.

Oh and while you have the burner out, definitely clean out thos jets on the burner....even semi clogged they really rob your heat!  wink 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri May 02, 2014 8:33 pm

I hope you are right, it has been worrying me all day. I plan to clean the jets and replace the thermocouple this weekend.

Keeping fingers crossed....
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Yeah it looks pretty good to me. Clean the jets and bang the elbow on the table and watch all the gunk come out of it.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NateTheFknGreat Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 am

A trick Paul Lucas taught my pops was to soak the burner ring in gas. It helps to remove the carbon build up... Then get a welding tip cleaner and clean out the jets... Home depot or Lowes should have the thermo coupler for like $14 bucks...

The burner ring looks normal... My 2 LG#3 and 1 LG#2 looks the same, with them being 20+ yrs old...

NateTheFknGreat

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Nate, got the tip cleaners that Les suggested in his videos. I was just surprised and now relieved to hear all these comments. I was really starting to think that I was looking at needing major repairs.

I will order a couple of parts and fire it up next week.

Another question: Les suggests to clean the jets and then tap the assembly several times to shake out the debris. Would applying suction to the pipe work better or not? Seems like it would be faster and more efficient that banging it on the table and shaking it out.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro Touch Sat May 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Banging the burner assembly breaks the carbon deposits loose. You don't have to get caveman on it, just gentle tapping or banging.  Suction would not achieve the same effect.
Also, I had trouble getting the tip cleaner into a lot of the holes but found that a tip drill worked wonders. You can pick one up at a local welding supply store. LG Heaters Torch_10
Something like this should be just fine.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat May 03, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks...the tip drill looks like a great idea. Back to the store.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sat May 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Tapplng it jars the debris loose. Then shaking it then I would blowe it out.with air.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun May 04, 2014 2:16 pm

milspec6 wrote:Thanks...the tip drill looks like a great idea.  Back to the store.

Before using a drill bit to clean jets read this, from the manufacture!..................

DO NOT use a drill in an attempt to remove build up. Increasing the bore size of the jets will result in improper and many times, dangerous operation of the heater.

Troubleshooting Tips: Does the flame come out the bottom of the heater or does the burner flame float?
1. Vent is stopped up.
Unstop Vent.
2. Diverter or starkap is off.
Install diverter or starkap
3. Wind is blowing down into heater.
Install diverter or starkap
4. Burner jet orifices are too big.
Install new burner jets. Ofifice size 68 (1/32)" on LP gas 2HT and 3HT heaters. Screw thread size 5/16" X 27

I know first hand using anything to clean the jets that can make hole in them even just a hair larger is not good LOL.

What it does is creates a "rich" air to fuel mixture (the four large holes on the sides of jets regulate the amount of air injected into the mixture, and if you make the little hole for fuel any larger then you don't have the proper mixture), which really messes with the efficiency and heat out put of the heater...........so stick to the welding tip cleaners.  wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun May 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Davey is right
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun May 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Sure, now you tell me. Shocked 

I just followed the video that Les posted and never used anything larger than a #18 tip cleaner.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro Touch Sun May 04, 2014 5:44 pm

I used a smaller drill to create a pilot hole and then cleaned it with the tip cleaner. The guy before me hadn't cleaned the burner and the carbon buildup was like concrete.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun May 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Pro Touch wrote:I used a smaller drill to create a pilot hole and then cleaned it with the tip cleaner. The guy before me hadn't cleaned the burner and the carbon buildup was like concrete.

I understand what you mean...had a few that were tough to clean out. There were a few that appear to have been replaced and the tip cleaner just flew through those.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri May 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Cleaned out my burner jets. Hitting 220 ATW. This dang gum thing is burning may hand. Lol. I guess I'll have to do this like every few months. Tool about 10 minutes.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri May 23, 2014 2:56 pm

I hope it doesn't have to be every few months, but I guess if the efficiency calls for it, then so be it.

I will just have to get one of those swing arm magnifying glasses for my bench first....not going to strain so much the next time around.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri May 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Rob, I had the LG services at the beginning of December and have lost performance well before now. Just got so bad, only two jets working, had to do something.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Rob and Ryan,

I hate to be the Bearer of bad news, but in my experience the LG heater jets have to be cleaned fairly often if you want to keep your heat up.......I have to do mine about every two months I'd say, Which if I had to guess is prob between every 1-200 hrs (just my best guess..........and 1-200 hrs for some of you guys might be every month!

Also, even though Les says do not remove the burner jets from the burner ring, I have found that by not doing so and just cleaning them with a welding tip cleaner as he suggest, I just can't get them truly clean.

For 20+ yrs I removed them to clean them, until I heard about using a tip cleaner and saw Les's video. After that I cleaned them installed on ring with the tip cleaner as suggested. But after a couple times doing it that way, I started to notice I just wasn't getting the same improvement in restoring the heat I did by removing, and it really seemed as they were clogged again much sooner doing it Les's way. So now I am back to removing them to thoroughly clean them again, like I did successfully for many yrs.

I don't believe they can be truly 100% cleaned unless removed, one reason for that is what I stated above, my experience/observations in the difference between the two methods of cleaning. The main reason I believe this is, because there is no way to clean the carbon/soot from the inside/backside of the jets without removing them! And if not removed then they're not 100% clean, so I think what happens is the remaining carbon/soot you're not removing on the inside/backside of the jets then just re-clogs them up sooner, since it's just sitting right there on the other side of the orifice you're cleaning with the tip cleaner. So once you start using the heater again the gas pressure just pushes the unremoved debris into those tiny orifices.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 pm

I support your opinion Davey, removing the jets was the way I had planned on going before viewing the video by Les. Seems like a good soak would do more than just shoving a tip cleaner in there, but I am new to this LG heater thing so I followed the video.

I really don't see how removing the jets could be a bad thing...can anyone shed some light on this?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm

The thing that can be bad about removing the jets, is they can get heat seized in the burner ring (I've never had this happen), and if you're not careful you can cross thread or strip them when putting them back in, again never had this happen. If you have any type of mechanical ability or common sense, I do not see you having a problem...........AND the good thing is, if you did happen to have a problem and lets say stripped one causing need for replacement of the burner ring, I know where they can be had for $45 brand new, burner ring including all new jets...something else the suppliers that charge $12 per jet, and $200 for the burner ring do not what us to know!!  wink laughing 

Thank me now or later. laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat May 24, 2014 1:14 am

Davey Cracker wrote:The thing that can be bad about removing the jets, is they can get heat seized in the burner ring (I've never had this happen), and if you're not careful you can cross thread or strip them when putting them back in, again never had this happen. If you have any type of mechanical ability or common sense, I do not see you having a problem...........AND the good thing is, if you did happen to have a problem and lets say stripped one causing need for replacement of the burner ring, I know where they can be had for $45 brand new, burner ring including all new jets...something else the suppliers that charge $12 per jet, and $200 for the burner ring do not what us to know!!  wink laughing 

Thank me now or later. laughing

And that place would be where? bounce 
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat May 24, 2014 6:45 am

Heck it might be better to just purchase a new set of jets and when you replace the dirty one just put those on a cleaning solution till it's time to switch them out.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat May 24, 2014 8:23 am

Good idea Mo. Davey, hit us with that link bro! Somebody's gonna be searching that.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sat May 24, 2014 9:02 am

I know you don't shop at sunbelt Ryan but the sell them for 10.46 but from what I recall Little Giant sell them for less

http://www.sun-beltusa.com/parts/little-giant-heater-parts/burner-jets.html

Cobb has the jets for the number 3 for less not sure if its the same jet for the number 4

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=3991

I got go and watch my son clean some carpet I feel like crap today
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sat May 24, 2014 10:17 am

No sunbelt for me. I'll buy mine from Davey if it kills me!!!!!

I owe on over proved shipping anyway.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next