Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING?

+2
Ryan S
The Spot Doc
6 posters

Go down

SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING? Empty SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING?

Post by The Spot Doc Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am

This is one of those Yes you can No you can't topic's.  I put this out to the Brain Trust for discussion seeking a different perspective from my own. So, let's hear it!

The Spot Doc

http://www.drygreenofva.com

Back to top Go down

SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING? Empty Re: SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING?

Post by Ryan S Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:06 am

Yes you can sanitize. You can not did disinfect. You can how ever apply a disinfectant to the carpet.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING? Empty Re: SANITIZE...... IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO SO IN CARPET CLEANING?

Post by Ryan S Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 am

san·i·tize
ˈsaniˌtīz/
verb
make clean and hygienic.

You can do that when cleaning carpet right?

Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:24 am

You can't sterilize carpets, but I do believe that you can sanitize the contact areas of the carpet.

Just like when doing laundry, you can't sterilize fabrics with your washing machine as they will not get hot enough (water heater set at safe level) and even then, there are virus strains that can withstand boiling water for hours and still survive. Bleaching would help, but the concentration would have to be high enough that it would damage the fabrics in the process. That is one of the reasons you should never wash your underwear with your bath towels...not many people realize this actually.

When you are cleaning carpets with hot water extraction, you are introducing a high heat water (180-220 degrees) along with physical agitation and a cleaning agent which can break down and eliminate most forms of bacteria and viruses in the fibers.

What you can not really do is sanitize the backing or the pad beneath it, so you have to be realistic about your claims of sanitizing the carpet. The upper fibers (area people will be in contact with) will be highly sanitized...albeit not completely.

So, you are correct in saying that it is both a "yes" and "no" answer and it is made even more complicated depending on you cleaning method, temps., chemicals. speed, dwell, etc.

Personally, I do not agree with claims that an encap will sanitize by its mechanism, but if it is peroxide-based then maybe it would be effective enough to make the claim....again, depending upon concentration.

What a customer should realize is that although you cannot sterilize the carpet, you are removing more than just soil. You are removing all the dead skin cells (people shed over 8 lbs. a year of it), dust mites, rodent feces, most bacteria and viruses, pollen, and mold spores. So, it WILL make for a healthier home and improve the air quality within the structure.

My 2 cents...
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:18 pm

According to my IICRC carpet cleaning instructor, sanitizing is achievable through hot water extraction with carpet cleaning detergents, however I'm inclined to agree with Robert, it depends on the water temperatures and such.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Positive feed back for Rob, for an in depth explanation and reasoning. I enjoyed that script. Thanks
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Yeah it will be sanitized until somebody walks on the carpet Very Happy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Thew short answer is no it can't be totally sanitized (in a reasonable way, without many hours of work for a larger area let say.), and the reason why we just remove and replace carpet that's been subjected to a "Category 3" flood loss.

I'll leave it at that for now, because this could go on and on n on n lol, and of course there's always an exception.  wink 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Spot Doc Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am

Great explanations,  I also agree with Rob. If you can make contact with the bacteria then a level of sanitation can be achieved. There are several products available for topical applications containing Phenol's,Qac's, Clo2, as well as Anti Microbial Silanes. I do believe in the very near future coated Carpet fibers will be manufactured resistant to bacteria, it's proven in the textile area now. It could be called Rocket Science, the weekend launch of supplies to the space station included Work Out Clothes that are coated to resist bacteria. So it won't be long! Thanks for the responses.

The Spot Doc

http://www.drygreenofva.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down