Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Ford van missing

+4
Davey Cracker
Mo
milspec6
Joe Bristor
8 posters

Go down

Ford van missing Empty Ford van missing

Post by cush83669 Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:16 pm

For those of you running Ford vans. I bought a used van a couple months ago. Had high miles but ran like new. Got a new Judson put it in and started getting all my reels set up inside. Decided to get it lettered up and wouldn't you know as I was taking it to get the logo put on the engine started to misfire. Got it back and ordered new coils. The Fords have a coil over each spark plug and found a steal online for 8 of them new with 10 year warranty. Local auto parts store wanted around a hundred bucks for 1 of them. I just decided to get all 8 and put in all new plugs while I was at it. Saved me from having to test each coil to find out which was bad. Anyway for about $100 all new coils and plugs runs like a top again. Just took it in last week and passed the emissions test. I just hate putting a lot of money into vehicles with a lot of miles.

I had to drop a grand into my truck last week because I had a rear wheel bearing go bad and I didn't catch it in time. $60 dollar bearing chewed through the axle and sent metal shavings through the whole rear end. I've been under the weather and didn't feel like pushing my luck so I just took it in and had it totally rebuilt. I could tell something was not right for the last few months but thought it was the u-joints.
cush83669
cush83669

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Ford van missing Empty Re: Ford van missing

Post by milspec6 Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:37 pm

I was expecting the same thing, "missing" equals "stolen", so glad that wasn't the case.

A tip on those coils: After a rain or trip through the car wash, take a can of air and blow out the coil on plug boots. The design of them can trap moisture and eventually short out a coil. It isn't common, but happens enough to keep it in the back of your head.

When you get a chance, add the link for those coils...lots of Fords on the road around here.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Sorry to hear that Cush sometimes bad luck happens in clusters. At least now it a mean clean running machine.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Hmmmm Where do I start.....I guess first off there's a place to cut corners and then most of the time not, hate to say it. But buying 8 coils and plugs for $100 tells me you got crap parts, sorry it is what it is.

I have plunty of first hand experience with the Ford Triton misfires caused from bad/worn plugs and coils, so I might be able to help.........

First off the check eng light should be blinking with a misfire, so what cyl does it say it is when you plug in the OBD Reader? That will tell you what plugs and coils to look at. As hard as it is to change them on a Ford van, with the limited space, fuel rails, intake in the way, etc., etc., etc. in the way of making replacing them anything but easy is the main reason I say this in not a place to go cheap and buy China $hit parts.

Either you know what I'm talking about or you paid someone big $$ to do the work that does?

At this point, I'd say start over and find out what cyl the mis is on, and figure out if it's the plug or coil that's bad and do YOURSELF a favor this time and buy quality parts to replace the cheap ones that have already failed. wink

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 pm

I feel your pain, think positive, good thing it happens now ( after summer ) and before the busy holiday season.
I Wouldn't throw the oem coils out, like Dave said you should have them tested when possible and find out the defective one, I always go with oem when it comes to electrical and mechanical, body parts or axles are different story if the price difference is a lot then after market it is.
Best of luck :-)
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 am

when its due for coils and one fails you dont hunt down the bad one, you replace all 8.

100 for ea coil is crazy, coils for my infiniti are 78 each and thats really high priced.

for a ford they should be much less for quality oem
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Henson Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:58 am

I had a misfire on my Ford van and replaced all coils and plugs and still misfired. Ended up being a dirty EGR valve.
Larry Henson
Larry Henson
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.absolutelykleener.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cush83669 Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 am

Both times I've had this problem the check engine light did not come on. I just figured it was a bad coil because it was acting just like my F-150 did when it had a bad coil. I figured for $100 it was worth taking a shot at it and it worked.

I know what your saying about quality parts I just could not see dropping too much money into a van with 180,00 miles on it that I know nothing about. Ran great when I bought it but it's just hard for me to justify putting a lot of money into a motor I don't know how much longer it will last. It really is not that hard to replace the plugs and coils on the van. I have a F-150 with the same motor and felt in was much harder to reach the back coils the way the engine sits.

The worst thing is the spark plugs can snap off when trying to remove. I squirt some penetrating oil down there and let it sit for a couple of hours. Also put anti seize on the new plugs.

Bought a few things from this am auto parts. Good prices and the quality seems good too. Bought two new power mirrors for the F-150 and the new switch and it was like $70.00. Free shipping . Dealer wanted almost $200 for each mirror. Next I'm gonna buy new headlights for the wife's car and the F-150. Less than getting them restored locally. Check it out!

www.am-autoparts.com
cush83669
cush83669

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down