Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Pictures consequences !

4 posters

Go down

Pictures consequences ! Empty Pictures consequences !

Post by dp1 Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:04 pm

I notice a lot of cleaning companies put before and after pictures in their websites, realistically every carpet is different, every situation is different, some soils are dirt soils and some are oil soils, by putting pictures or show them to potential customers, it kinda put sort of high expectations in the customer's minds, I know that most of us are veterans that know if things are not going to be clean 100% but there are always some people that don't have that realistic expectations, they don't tell you that they expect their carpets to magically become new before you start cleaning but after you're done, they show a great deal of disappointments, it doesn't happen to me but I just thought about that today, it sucks if it happens, how would you deal with it if it happens to you ? No charge ? Give some discounts ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Pictures consequences ! Empty Re: Pictures consequences !

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:15 pm

You make a good point and I will add another to it.

If your advertising is showing a really soiled before picture, how many customers do you lose that don't want you dragging your tools into their "cleaner" home?

Think about it, if you are showing that great picture, what customers are you going to attract? Probably the customer with that same really soiled carpet AND they are going to expect that same terrific result....setting up for failure from the start.

It is important to target your advertising towards your intended market. Doing so otherwise is a road map to disappointments.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:51 pm

DP, I understand where you're coming from, but I've never had (knock on wood) a prob with this. And I'm sure you know from seeing my Yelp page I post some pretty dramatic, night n day type pics......to give examples of what I'm capable of doing..

I think the key is setting the customers exceptions to a realistic level for their particular situation for the item I'm cleaning for them. I do this usually, by explaining the fabric/fiber type they have and also the amount of wear it has on it, to set realistic expectations. So far so good. When I do that, they are usually surprised with how well theirs cleans up, and happy with the job I've done for them.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:04 pm

And also, if they are underwhelmed with the results after I'm done?.......normally I explain the situation and still collect full payment.

However, I do sometimes offer to clean a dinning room chair, or the worst area on a on a questionable piece of furn. and if they're not satisfied with the results I will stop there and it's no charge (most of the time they say it looks good, and to continue cleaning).....If I'm offering that, I always make that real clear up front, otherwise I get paid regardless of results.

Most of the time I'm happy and surprised that the customers expectations exceed mine. wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah, so far I have no problems with customers by setting up the expectations up front, I guess I'm preparing myself if that day comes. *knock on wood*
Great point Rob, however I've had a couple customers that have super dirty carpets and willing to pay my price.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 pm

The thing I've been thinking about lately that worries me a bit about taking BnA pic's (maybe a whole nuther thread) in a customers house, is the privacy issue? I've been doing it for several years now without permission, but Am I just asking for trouble?....do we need to get permission before taking pics of their dirty floors? laughing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:15 pm

I don't think permissions are necessary unless you were showing more than just the carpets. If you were showing personal photos or the homes location....then there might be a problem.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:24 pm

one of the biggest mistakes carpet cleaners make.

its okay to show some moderate before and afters but you really dont need or want those super dramatic before and afters of rat nasties.... believe it or not it scares customers away

ever notice some of the biggest most successful companies dont do this? all they show are super clean looking vans/employees/equipment/homes they clean.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:56 am

^A/C I can see this being the case with *some* people, being turned off by nastiness............but I personally think most people would look at the extreme pics and be confident if you can "clean that, you can clean mine".

I'm wondering if there is any factual proof to your statement? or is it just your opinion?....not trying to cause prob here, just simply want to know the facts, if there is any, on this.

I'd like to see proof to be able to believe this.... "one of the biggest mistakes carpet cleaners make." wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 am

I'm with AC on this one, but I don't have any statistics to back it up. I can only go by how I felt before opening up my business when I saw those photos as well as how many times I got called by those with nasties compared to those with lightly-soiled carpets.

It was the same way with the exterminator that I hired 10 years ago prior to buying this house. I was immediately turned off by the companies telling me about about how "badly infested the last house was" comments.

Think about this way, would you hire the exterminator that advertised how many homes he has serviced with bed bug infestations if you just had a mouse that you wanted to get rid of? I wouldn't let the guy in my house unless I had a severe bed bug infestation......those are the guys who will seek him out based on advertising and referrals. I think you "reap what you sow" in advertising.

That being said, it is just my opinion...no facts to back it up. People are a strange lot and they differ in every region, so it might just be a flawed belief....after-all, I'm the one who didn't see the holiday workload this year so I am no expert on people.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:37 am

I sent some surveys out to my customers on this topic and received one from a local professor that I have known for over 10 years, it was interesting.

"When I see the extreme before and after pictures for any product, I have to wonder under what conditions that a person would let their [insert noun here] get so dirty.  I think that there is an expectation that all “befores” will turn into the perfect “after”. It make me suspicious that that one or both of the pictures have been doctored.  If you are going to use this tactic, follow it up with some plain speech to the prospective consumer: don’t let your [thing] get this dirty – no product can replace preventative care.  But if something happens, it is possible to return your [thing] to almost as good as new condition.  Nothing lasts forever, but periodic cleaning will extend the life of your [thing].  In summary…

1.      Yes (Question was, "Would you expect the same results")
2.      I would not associate the pictures with the level of service, but I might presume neglect on the part of the homeowner and ask how that could happen, out of curiosity.
3.      I would have the concern, but not because of the photos.  I would have the expectation that the equipment looks cleaned, as well as the cleaner.  That would tell the story and either add to the concerns or nullify them."  (Question was, "Would you have reservations about letting the cleaner into your home that displays extreme before photos in their ads"?)
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Theres no survey that was done with carpet cleaning businesses that proves what I say but something I personally have seen many many times with lots of small carpet cleaning companies

Ive talked about it with our marketing company, our angies list reps, and other business owner friends of mine. Angies List wont even let you post pictures like that on your storefront offers.

I was doing it in the past and actually got an email from them saying please no extreme before and after pictures it will no longer fit in our guidelines, please only a tasteful photo of a clean home that just had its carpets cleaned.

I think there are lots of customers who would not be at all bothered by it, and I like to collect those pictures just because I think its cool what can be done...

As far as the wand goes, its constantly sterilized by the steam so theres nothing nasty on it.. however I would never ever want a carpet cleaner or maid using a vacuum cleaner in my home that is used on all sorts of jobs.

I dont want someone elses dog's fleas, bed bugs, or general odor from pet hair etc.

I explain this to our customers now and after hearing it most of them dont want us to vacuum for them lol I prefer it this way because I honestly hated dealing with vacuums and the smells coming from them, always having to maintain them etc

ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down