Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Winterizing

3 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Winterizing Empty Winterizing

Post by milspec6 Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Since I am without the heated shop this year (so far), I am forced to winterize the system in addition to leaving a heater in the van.

As a result, I have been doing some research on the RV anti-freezes out there. I'm using a local brand that protects down to -50 degrees, but that does not mean what you may think that it means. That is where things get interesting.

That rating of -50 doesn't mean that it will not freeze....it will. In fact, I had a case of it in my shop that was frozen last week when the temps dipped into the single digits. Now, for a guy who is trying to keep his unit from freezing, it didn't make me feel very comfortable at first. After-all, it gets cold in this area over the next 5 months.

Okay, so why does it freeze? Well, any RV anti-freezes that protects down to -50 will actually freeze when it dips below 10 degrees. That's right, it will freeze when it gets into the single digits, but it will not expand until down to around -50 degrees. That is the protections that it affords, it protects from the expansion stress that breaks pipes and fittings.

So, if you use this stuff, you need to realize that it can be slushy when you go to re-start. You will need to warm things up well before trying to start up and then flush it out before use. This is one of those points that they don't always tell you in the manual.

You could also switch to the hardcore anti-freeze that protects down to -100 degrees which will remain liquid well into the negative digits, but it comes at a price. I do like that it includes pump lube and anti-corrosives, so if you were going to store a machine for a long period (whole winter perhaps) it might be a better choice.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=13523

Did I mention how much I hate winter? Twisted Evil Mad
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Winterizing Empty Re: Winterizing

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Very interesting, I never knew that it would freeze above the rated temp.

Why are you using the RV type as opposed to regular auto antifreeze?..lower freezing point?
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Safety mainly. The RV stuff can be dumped down the septic system.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:35 am

RV antifreeze is propylene glycol with an indicator added (pink usually).

PG is also used in the fluid, at varying levels, for e ciggs and vape fluid. As well as used in inhalers for people with asthma.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Here is another point that needs to be mentioned.

Many will tell you that you can re-use that RV anti-freeze a couple of times before replacing.....I would disagree strongly.

I already pointed out that fresh anti-freeze will start to freeze up at 10 degrees, but not expand. Well, I just flushed out a fresh application of anti-freeze into a 5 gallon bucket along with about a 1/2 gallon of new last night.

The temperature in my garage was 21 degrees and there was about 4 gallons of used only once anti-freeze and 1/2 gallon of fresh anti-freeze in the bucket.......the top inch or so was frozen.

Winterizing Rvfree10

This was a product rated to -50 undiluted, but clearly it isn't too effective watered down. So, if this was in the machine, what kind of damage would it have done to a needle valve or street elbow? It didn't stretch out the bucket, so maybe it didn't expand, but you sure would not be running until you heated that machine up before starting.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down