Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

What would you tell your kid?

4 posters

Go down

What would you tell your kid? Empty What would you tell your kid?

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:46 am

I realize that there are some of you that already have children who became cleaners, but what advice would you give (or have given) your child if they said they wanted to become a cleaner?

Growing up in the family auto repair shop, me and my 2 brothers were naturally into cars and would probably have become mechanics, but when we each told my Father that, he shut us down.

My Father told each of us that being a mechanic is terrible on the body. Standing on cement all day, leaning over engines, all the chemicals that you are exposed to, the exhaust fumes, etc. would ruin you health. He said that he would never allow it and insisted everyone go to college and "use their head for a living".

We all went to college and earned degrees of one type or another, but that piece of paper really didn't mean much then and means even less today. In fact, kids have a better chance at making a very good living going to trade schools then they would going to the University.

So, what would you tell your kid...or have told your kid about this industry? What was your best advice if you support them becoming cleaners?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

What would you tell your kid? Empty Re: What would you tell your kid?

Post by brianbenaiah Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 pm

We have six children in our household. The oldest is 19 and the youngest is two. The older children have worked with me in every trade except Hav-Vac. They have learned to tear out carpet and replace with carpet, wood, snap and tile. The most important is that I have ingrained in them that people are trusting us to come into their home and take care of a problem and to fix that problem. From fixing grandmas sink or the neighbors tile, no matter who it is they have learned work ethic and customer relations.
They are going through there college courses for other occupations (veterinarian, teaching) but they still have something to fall back on if need be and its a quick way for them to make extra Money by helping dad. Through the years I have seen them uninterested and board with helping and learning certain things, but I'm glad they were at least watching. This new trade of carpet cleaning I can tell there has not been much interest, at least there learning and I stress that it is good to have knowledge and I tell them we are improving someones living area.
brianbenaiah
brianbenaiah
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm not exactly there yet but I think when it's that time, I would encourage mine to do something else if they can make more $$.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:39 pm

dp1 wrote:I'm not exactly there yet but I think when it's that time, I would encourage mine to do something else if they can make more $$.

Okay, what specifically encourages you to take that stance? Health reasons, income potential, headaches? Why would you not recommend it?

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:23 pm

I would encourage them to do their own thing and start their own business.

I would make sure they know that college can be a solid route but also is a gamble like anything else.

Main thing I care about is they work hard what ever it is they decide to do.

At the same time I dont think our economy/lifestyle is going to be the same 50yrs from now so its hard to say what their life would be like
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:51 pm

I find this really interesting. Some careers are passed down generation to generation where you basically learn the craft from your family and try to improve upon it during your reign. Farmers, stone cutters, police, and fire are prime examples.

If you were to travel to Jamaica, you will find resort hotels that have 4th generation valets and bell hops...like they were born into it from the start. The manager will be the child of the former manager and that is just the way that is....education is not available to change your station much.

Here, there are endless options and it intrigues me that we as cleaners are hesitant to suggest the same for our kids. We all like this business (most of the time) and yet prefer that the next generation look elsewhere for their careers.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum