Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone?

+7
dp1
ACpower1
ACE Services
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Davey Cracker
milspec6
Cjcann
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone? Empty Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone?

Post by Cjcann Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:18 am

My Honda 24 hp GX670 is getting old and tired on my l Diablo ( 5,000+ hours). Was wondering if this Predator engine would swap out for my Honda, for $699 - 20% coupon= $559. These engines have got some pretty good reviews and the price is great. 2 less hp, but if it's a fresher engine it may perform similarly. Has anybody ever looked into this? This engine only came out in the spring.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone? Empty Re: Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone?

Post by milspec6 Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:55 am

I have no personal experience with that predator motor, but I wouldn't go back to Honda either. There is a reason they switched to the Kohler engine, so this is a great time to upgrade that Honda.

The price is sure cheap enough, but the 90 day warranty makes me a little nervous. I think I would search for your best deal on a Kohler and go that route. I think I just saw a low hour Kohler for sale pretty cheap on the auction sites.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone? Empty Re: Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp Honda engine clone?

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I have to agree with Rob.

The larger Honda Engines aren't the greatest to begin with. Their smaller HP models are, but not so much in the larger displacements.....And then a Chinese clone of it? I'd pass even tho the price is tempting.

You don't need to decrease your reliability or have needless down time with your money maker...it'll cost you in the long run I believe.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Then there is the issue of the engines footprint. Would have to do some modifications for a different motor. Unless your lucky and the mounting holes match up.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:46 am

Yes the Honda has been challenging, valve adjustments suck- no need on a Kohler. I wonder what the a Kohler in that hp range would run......
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:25 am

My guess $1200 to $1500
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Ace has the range correct. I have seen some deals around here for low hour engines in the $800 - $900 range, but for the price difference, I would still go with a new unit.

That engine doesn't just drive the pump and blower, it drives your business and without it, you don't make any money. It would be the last thing that I would go cheap on really.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 pm

nice thing about kohler is if you want to you can run it on propane.

But Ive heard the harbor freight engines are actually pretty damn good, I believe you can get a 3yr warranty too which will allow for instant swap out in store.

So 7 days a week you can grab a new engine up to 3yrs and if your getting it under 600 thats hard to beat I would say. Im guessing you would get well over 3 yrs out of it.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:26 am

ACpower1 wrote:nice thing about kohler is if you want to you can run it on propane.  

But Ive heard the harbor freight engines are actually pretty damn good,   I believe you can get a 3yr warranty too which will allow for instant swap out in store.  

So 7 days a week you can grab a new engine up to 3yrs and if your getting it under 600 thats hard to beat I would say.     Im guessing you would get well over 3 yrs out of it.

That's an excellent point. I would go for it with that kind of warranty, but that's easy for me to say cause I don't know how much modification you have to do to fit the motor in there.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:32 am

Read the reviews online. There are two both replaced smaller engines with this one. One 350 cc to 650cc the other 13hp to 22hp not saying anything is wrong with the engine just look at the reviews. I've got friends that have used smaller motors and like them. Something else to think about is repair parts. That warranty is repair or replace their choice. Just some things to think about.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by magkcrpt Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm

If you're looking for a high quality engine for a lower price go with a Lifan engine. If it doesn't say "mfg by Lifan industries group" on the production label, be wary. Check out carroll-stream.com or lifanpowerusa.com. I have used several of these with absolutely zero problems. Parts are readily available in the US and the customer service is great. Even though the predator is less and there is the swap out option, it's still a pain in the butt and a roll of the dice in my opinion. I haven't had great luck with those even though it was a couple of years ago that I tried them out. Keep in mind, most of those reviews aren't from people who rely on those engines for their income on a daily basis. Plus, you never know when they will be out of stock or stop carrying them altogether.

magkcrpt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:42 pm

I got 9700 hrs out of my Onan (Lifan is an Onan copy, or reproduction, but I think now made in China?..) without any major problems, but had plunty of other smaller/electrical problems.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 am

Lots of the dirt bike guys in the next time over use the Lifan engines. Sounds like they perform pretty well, but being a China product now, quality control might become a problem.

I remember buying a Chinese body tub for an old Jeep a few years back. They were a perfect clone, but the major weakness was in the quality of welds.....actually had to go through and re-weld every seem before installation.

My guess would be that you would need to check the welds and bolts on any Chinese cloned motors before puting a great deal of trust into them.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 am

I would love to know how the motor is doing for you still.
I am going to be replacing my motor in the next two weeks, I have a Kohler 25 I am looking at but I am interested in this motor also.
Can you tell me what size the crank shaft is? I can't find any specs that say the size of the shaft.
I believe my Kohler is 1 1/4
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:19 pm

You can get a Kohler with any shaft size and type you want. Mine is a straight keyed 1 3/8".

Exhaust and key panel are a couple other things that have different options.

Call OPEengines.com, they are great and helpful, and have the best prices with free shipping and no tax.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:36 am

Check out my post in this forum- Honda GX670 is Toast. The shaft is 1"x 3.56. You can download the owners manuel from HF website. Search 22hp. So far so good- almost 300 hrs. Get the warranty if you take the plunge. This 7/4 they are offering 25% off coupons.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 am

Well, the other Day I came out and had oil pouring out of my kohler !!!
Come to find out the crankcase breather hose had come off and due to crank case pressure the oil was coming out. I replaced and all seems to be good now but still I have 4000 hours and it is time.
So I have also been talking to another cleaner as he has also bought one, but he is doing his own build with this motor.
I am thinking of also doing a build around this motor with a #4 blower I have.
I want to try and build a nice narrow TM and diesel burner for heat and you can't beat the price even with the cost of the warranty in the price.
Over spin the blower by 10% and it should have plenty of suck for 250' hose runs.
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:19 pm

I've got a customer that has a tm called profiteer sold by steambrite and it has the predator engine on it new just looked it up and it's on the site.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by gtech12v Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m21RGq4f078

gtech12v
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm

That's a smaller one G
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SCCC Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 pm

I am going to go for it, I will be going and picking one up next week if I have the time...they don't sell in cali but they have them in Medford and that is only a 2 hour drive.
I have a design idea gonna be a thin TM build, I am going to make it as narrow as possible to see if I can get some extra room in the van.
Solution and Water supply lines will be mounted beside it coming out of the side doors, I may go live reels, I have always wanted them to be live but just have never done it.
My buddy just bought a 570 and live reels and LOVES them so I figure I will try them out.
Kinda thinking along the lines of a TCS type design.
Motor,blower,pump with a diesel burner. should be a little easier build than the VW Tm.
Tim gave me a idea of mounting a alternator to supply enough charge to the battery to run a big power invert, this will run the D burner and a vacuum cleaner when no power is on the jobs, this has been happening more lately so It would be nice to be able to power a vac or a fan to help cool me down while I am cleaning in 110+ Redding heat.
SCCC
SCCC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:07 am

Hf has their inverters on sale also.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 am

Sweet now we'll have two guys testing that engine. The price is awesome and would be perfect to mach up a new build
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:50 am

SCCC wrote:I am going to go for it, I will be going and picking one up next week if I have the time...they don't sell in cali but they have them in Medford and that is only a 2 hour drive.
I have a design idea gonna be a thin TM build, I am going to make it as narrow as possible to see if I can get some extra room in the van.
Solution and Water supply lines will be mounted beside it coming out of the side doors, I may go live reels, I have always wanted them to be live but just have never done it.
My buddy just bought a 570 and live reels and LOVES them so I figure I will try them out.
Kinda thinking along the lines of a TCS type design.
Motor,blower,pump with a diesel burner. should be a little easier build than the VW Tm.
Tim gave me a idea of mounting a alternator to supply enough charge to the battery to run a big power invert, this will run the D burner and a vacuum cleaner when no power is on the jobs, this has been happening more lately so It would be nice to be able to power a vac or a fan to help cool me down while I am cleaning in 110+ Redding heat.
They are offering 25% off this 4th of July, just order it on that day use the 25% off coupon and it will be at your door in 2-3 days for $6.99- Just saying.... I have been told that they do not stock the 22hp vtwin in stores, and that you have to order on website- might be different in your area. Do your homework.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:56 am

SCCC, the original design of the El Diablo used inverters to power the diesel burner- they switched out that design because the inverter would shut down due to overheating like many water transfer pumps do. I do not know if inverter design has improved lately, but they usually do not like excessive heat and will fail you when you need them most.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next