Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

getting nickel and dimed.

4 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

getting nickel and dimed. Empty getting nickel and dimed.

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:46 am

Went and did oil changes for my van and TM yesterday. And they charge me for extra qt. of oil for the van, cuz my van take about 5. Later I'm thinking; did they change the amount of oil included from 5 to 4? So they can charge us for an extra at.
* Those that get their oil done at a lune/oil place have you seen the same thing? *
This van; I did it once myself but the drain plug is just above the front swing arms(I think that's what they are called). And exhaust pipes right by it. I burned myself 2 or 3 time when I did the oil the first time; and last. I'll pay to have them do it. With oil @ 4.50 to $5 /at plus filter, I'm willing o pay a few extra bucks to have someone else do it.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

getting nickel and dimed. Empty Re: getting nickel and dimed.

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Most vans take 7 qts or close to it, so you can't blaim them really for charging a few bucks more on something they're making lilttle money on, I'd guess. With the cost of good oil now at $6-7 a qt, how much is really in it for them?.......although I'm sure they're paying much less than retail for the oil, but still.

I avoid those places like the plague because of the constant up-sales, which is prob how they make money I'm sure.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:13 pm

My advice is to stay far away from quick lube stations.

They use bulk fluids that may or not be the right ones regardless of what they tell you. In addition, they often use air ratchets to remove / install the drain plug....a huge no-no!! What you get are stripped threads and risk the plug falling out as you drive. You do that and your engine is toast.

Ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Do they dispense oil from a drum with the proper labels indicating brand and weight of oil? Or is it just a black drum without markings?

2. Do you hear an air ratchet? Run away if you do.

All that being said, it isn't always much fun to change your own oil. What many people don't realize is that the oil change at a real auto shop isn't much more expensive.

It costs me $35 for an oil change at my mechanic and he checks the condition of all the bulbs, tire wear, fluids, belts, hoses, and brake linings for that price.

Just shop for a real mechanic and you will be much happier.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Great advice Rob!........I've always questioned the oil grade and type those places use too. I won't take the chance.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Yup, I agree, I had those quick lube guy changed my oil once because I was really busy and didn't have time to go to my mechanic and they didn't even change my oil filter Evil or Very Mad

I fired my mechanic once because he put a much smaller oil filter in my cleaning machine, his argument was "well it's not leaking oil, is it ?"
From then on, I always change my TM oil myself and put original oil filters and Mobil 1 oil.

It doesn't make much sense to NOT pay someone to change your van oil though, cause OEM oil filter already cost about $ 10, definitely less for mechanics but still, even at $ 6 or $ 7 for the oil filters, plus the cost of oils, I seriously don't know how they make profits from oil changes, I pay my mechanic $ 20 and give him my own Mobil 1 oil that I buy at Costco, when I first met him and ask him how much for oil change if I give him my own oil, he said $ 13, I laughed, I told him I'll give him $ 20 if he use OEM filters and he agreed.

Btw when Costco has $ 10 coupon, Mobil 1 is $ 27 for 6 quarts after the coupon, they have 3 cases limit per transaction, so I just go a couple of times within a couple of weeks and buy 6 cases and stock it up.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:27 pm

In our shop, we got about a 60% discount on filters, but nothing on oil. We did what everyone else did....shop the sales and stock up heavily.

There was always a limit of maybe 2 cases per person, so we would bring the whole family to go shopping and clean out the store's supplies.

There isn't much profit in an oil change directly, but it was a simple and quick job plus you would sell the used oil at the end of the month and that added up pretty quickly.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:36 am

I forgot about oil recycling, that's why the auto parts stores are so willing to accept our free used oil. Because they sell it back, and make money on it!!

Interesting there's not a discount on oil being bought in volume by the mechanics. And just another reason that the quick lube places are pushing all the additional services.....because there's not any or much money in doing $25 oil changes.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm

There are discounts if you are willing to buy by the drum, but that was a pita for our shop that used 2 lifts. It was just easier to carry a few quarts to the vehicle....and more precise in filling.

I don't think those places anything unless you buy the extras. Well, unless you pay for synthetic oil and they give you the dino-special....don't think that it doesn't happen either.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 pm

I've been going to this places for years. They aren't the cheap place.
"$25 oil change"? Usually $35 plus, then add for synthetic oil charge. Paid $110 for van and TM
Ya, they upscale. " your transmission fluid has a lot of moisture in it, way more than normal. We recommend a flush before it...".
Then I hear the same thing at the car next to me. Surprising not push for air filter, wiper blades.
The "out of the same barrel" made me think.
? Did I get synthetic?

And I didn't hear a air rachet.

Years ago I went to another place on a whim, at the last second. They tried to tell me my radiator fluid was weak, cuz the color was very,very light yellow. They intentionally hid gauge on the antifreeze meter tester so I couldn't see it. My mechanics just put in a Eco friendly coolant a few weeks before.

Gotta be careful out there.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Paid extra for synthetic?.....I'd guess chances are you still got the cheap stuff.  And there's really no way to tell, and they know that!!

Just another reason I do it myself.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:55 pm

I'll give you my favorite one. The tire shops around here offer "nitrogen inflation" which keeps the tires running cooler...at least they claim that.

Now I ask you, how do you know that they used nitrogen and not just air? People gladly pay extra for it...I can't understand why.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum