Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Drill bits

5 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Drill bits Empty Drill bits

Post by dp1 Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm trying to drill a couple holes on my vac hose reels to raise my pressure hose reels cause it's sitting too low and it scrapes my almost new flooring, broke 4 drill bits with the first hole and the hole is not even a hole yet, lol.
What kind of drill bits are you suppose to use for metals and what brand last the longest, price doesn't really matter, I just don't want to have to go to home improvement store every couple of months to buy more drill bits.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Drill bits Empty Re: Drill bits

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:20 pm

I got your bits right here lol, just remind me next time we met up. wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:11 am

You are soppose to let the drill bit do the work not push it threw. And keep a little oil on the bit to keep it cool and don't use the highest speed setting on the drill.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:54 am

These are my go to...I did a lot of manufacturing and spent a lot of money on bits.............

Cobalt drill bits are made from cobalt steel blended with a fairly large percentage of cobalt. The cobalt actually makes the drill bit incredibly hard, with an abrasion quality. Cobalt bits are also superior for their resistance to heat.
Cobalt bits are generally used for production drilling... Cobalt bits are specifically designed for drilling into hard, abrasive materials. They are good when used to drill into stainless steel, titanium and even cast iron.  
If you are going to repeatedly drill through steel and other metals, you may want to look at cobalt drill bits, which are cobalt all the way through and can be sharpened when needed.   

Titanium drill bits are a metal formulation of titanium nitride applied to "coating" a High Speed Steel drill bits. Titanium drill bits have incredible high surface hardness.  
Titanium drill bits also reduce the friction between the drill bit and the material being drilled through. Titanium bits are also ideal for cutting through metal. They will last roughly six times longer than standard drill bits.
Titanium drill bits have a higher hardness level typically than cobalt drill bits. However, the titanium is a coating on the drill bit, so you won’t be able to re-sharpen the drill bit and keep the titanium coating.

Both titanium bits and cobalt bits are more expensive than regular bits.  Cutting through or drilling holes into stainless steel is not something most people need to do with their household drill. So, in part, using titanium or cobalt bits depends on what type of task and how often you plan to use the drill bits. These can be brittle too, so remember to go slower with oil and let the bit work itself....you will be surprised how well knowing this works!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:02 am

As Devon said, cobalt bits or a good quality titanium coated bits are the way to go.

Personally, I only use cobalt bits these days for metal. I bought a huge set of them a year ago and will never go back to other metals.

The other tip is technique. Start with a smaller bit than you need and then keep re-drilling your up in size until you reach the desired hole size. This works really well or else you can drill a small hole followed by a step bit, but they get dull pretty fast.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks guys, I bought black oxide bits before I posted this yesterday and sure enough it got dull very quick, fortunately home depot was nice enough to do an exchange, I got titanium because cobalt wasn't available, it cuts through the reel like butter, I never know you're supposed to use oil on the bits, along with regular speed on the drill, works great, thanks again for all the tips Very Happy
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:36 pm

And the higher the rockwell... the stronger, but more brittle the metal becomes. The higher the rockwell the easier they cut holes....so find the range you like to play. They can chip fairly easy too...always! always! wear eye safety when using these harder bits....one whoopsie and it's an eye!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah took forever to drill the holes in this TNT tank but slow and keeping oil on the bit and I got it done only had to sharpen the bit once so far still got 4 holes to go.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:01 pm

It is amazing what a difference some good cutting oil can do for jobs like that.

I had to drill 12 holes in my truck's frame rails to mount a trailer hitch last year. Without the cutting oil....all day and got nowhere. Used the oil and was done in about an hour.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm

That's some hard steel (spring steel ) plus using a hand held drill. Just time and effort right.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 pm

I third the use of lubricating oil and slower speed, you don't want to over heat the bit, or it seems to dual it real quick.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Even on aluminum, a bit can burn pretty easily at high rpm.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum