Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

best floor pad for wood floor cleaning?

+5
Davey Cracker
Mo
Devon07
milspec6
Cjcann
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

best floor pad for wood floor cleaning? Empty best floor pad for wood floor cleaning?

Post by Cjcann Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:56 am

I took the wood floor cleaning class at the New Magic Wand here in Rahway NJ yesterday. Very eye opening. I know some of you guys offer this service. In your opinion whats the best pad color/type for this task. It was mentioned that a red floor pad works well to clean wood floors if you are using a 175 rpm rotary. I don't know a lot about floor pads, bonnets, micro fiber pads? Advice? Procedures? The instructor used a really cool lindhaus german manufactured unit to clean and rinse the floor. Liker a vacuum with water recovery, much better and more compact than the dirt dragon.
PS. Taf and Didi couldn't have been nicer, trying out some of their products/. I will report back on how the products performed.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

best floor pad for wood floor cleaning? Empty Re: best floor pad for wood floor cleaning?

Post by milspec6 Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:17 am

I keep thinking about taking that class, I have wood floors and would like to be confident in cleaning them.

Right now, I hire a guy to come in and take care of my wood floors. He uses the red floor pads....results are good.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

best floor pad for wood floor cleaning? Empty Re: best floor pad for wood floor cleaning?

Post by Devon07 Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:21 am

They use moisture when doing wood?...I try and imagine it being done dry and all I can do is sneeze. my sister asked me if I could do wood floors and told her I only know how to burn wood...lol
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:01 am

The most aggressive pad I have use is a white pad. Most of the time I just use a cotton pad. Watch out for the mop and glow cause then you'll be using a more aggressive pad.

One of the things I have noticed is that a cleaned floor looks a little duller than before because of all the gunk that you removed gave it a shiny appearance.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:57 am

I've always used white pads, but that doesn't mean it's right because I'm a self taught wood floor cleaner.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 am

Are the pads used dry?
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Ive used white pads with basic coatings cleaner...

then apply basic coatings finish to give it a really nice basketball court shine

I like the satin because the before/after results are really drastic
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:54 pm

I find that most people do not like the Gloss and prefer the matte.

Devon I spray my pad with the cleaner too.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:32 pm

ya the matte is nice too, main thing we tell the customer is this isnt a fancy swedish finish but a very durable more basketball court type finish and they usually like hearing that
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:30 pm

ACpower1 wrote:ya the matte is nice too,    main thing we tell the customer is this isnt a fancy swedish finish but a very durable more basketball court type finish and they usually like hearing that

SO you're applying a Urethane finish for that "very durable more basketball court type finish"?...Please explain.

Devon, I do a 'wet' or more like a VLM cleaning on wood floors. I basically Spray a light mist of neutral floor cleaner on, agitate it with white pad, then rinse and extract.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:52 pm

ya it leaves a good coating Dave, but this is obviously not full sanding and refinishing the customers have common sense so they understnad that
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't understand, is it Urethane you're applying or something else that's real durable?
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks Davey! I may try and do my sisters house and the floors are in serious need of help. Im not going to do them for a living and certainly dont want to go to school just for her floors...so, whats the low down....What cleaners for VLM and then what matte material?

Thanks for the input you guys!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:25 pm

its the basic coatings satin or matte finish like stated above ... Davey

yes that is what it is... comparing to a very thin swedish finish its more durable

many people like the look of swedish finishes because they keep the natural wood color.

this is more of a shiny coat that has a wet look. its pretty durable, did it at my parents house
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Devon07 Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:00 pm

James...I suspect any janitorial supply would carry them...they are common.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Yeah you can get at home depot here in the US.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I did a $200 upsell wood floor today. It took less than an hour. I put water/cleaner in a bucket. Then dipped a glad pad (I don't reccommend these as they don't hold up well at all but it is what I have) in the water chem mix and wrung it out by hand. I set it on the floor and then a red floor pad on it then the 175 rpm machine over it and went at it. I get about 150sf per side if its not to dirty and as little as 50sf if it is. Then get a clean pad wet and keep going until complete. I made a wood floor cleaning video and put it on youtube if you type in "Ken Raddon wood floor cleaning" you'll find my video.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Raddon Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:53 pm

I did a $200 upsell wood floor today. It took less than an hour. I put water/cleaner in a bucket. Then dipped a glad pad (I don't reccommend these as they don't hold up well at all but it is what I have) in the water chem mix and wrung it out by hand. I set it on the floor and then a red floor pad on it then the 175 rpm machine over it and went at it. I get about 150sf per side if its not to dirty and as little as 50sf if it is. Then get a clean pad wet and keep going until complete. I made a wood floor cleaning video and put it on youtube if you type in "Ken Raddon wood floor cleaning" you'll find my video.

Ken Raddon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Watched your video....pretty cool stuff. The cleaning I will need to do on my sisters will need to be much more aggressive.

Here is kens link to simplify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCuFkDwTdEs
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Good video ken.

I prefer to clean/scrub with white pad, then mist with plain water to rinse followed by extracting using aluminum wand with squiggle head.......so the soil and moisture is actually being extracted.
Then you don't have to be considered with moisture damage to floor, and you know soil is extracted.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:24 pm

so you guys take the coat down but dont re apply? I dont understand
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 pm

I don't remove any urethane coating when cleaning....just cleaning only, not stripping or sanding...

I dont understand either wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:29 am

One is doing a cleaning and one is a light finishing.....some of these guys really take it down and restore it....I watched a video where they actually sand deep then add wood filler and then sand again....stain and apply top coat finish like the urethanes etc
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:23 am

I think when you run red pads with any neutral floor cleaner and a 175 your taking down some of the coating

We do dustless refinishing, which is a deep clean takes down the top layer of the coating a bit.. removes light scratches then reapply basic coatings
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next