Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Back up your data

3 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Back up your data Empty Back up your data

Post by milspec6 Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:24 pm

I have been lazy about backing up my computer's data and really haven't done it since June. It was one of those "I should do that, but not now" kind of tasks. I just had other things to get done which were a higher priority to me.

Last night, I was watching a movie on my laptop ("The good, the bad, and the ugly") and about 3/4 of the way through the film, the laptop shut off without warning. I about dropped my drink when it happened. Checked over the power supplies and started it up again....started to load and then shut off again. Poor baby

I've seen that happen before when a cooling fan failed about 3 years ago, so I opened everything up and emptied half a can of compressed air to clear out the dust bunnies. The fan spun fine, so I set it back up and turned it on. It loaded, but the rattles and banging coming from inside the body was not a good sign so I shut it down.

I was freaking out all day over the likelihood of a hard drive crashing and how I have a lot of data that is not backed up. Even my trip information was not saved anywhere except in an email. My biggest problem was that all my passwords were in a protected file....which I don't have an updated hard copy to any longer. The panic was very real.

So, with fingers crossed and external hard drive at the ready to try and save data before the platter decides to eat itself the rest of the way, I powered up the computer. I did power up with my dvd drive tray open in case that was part of the problem, but I was not optimistic.

Laptop loaded quickly, runs silent, and is faster than it has been in months. Shocked I quickly backed everything up and now I feel so much better. I am almost afraid to shut it down, but all seems good and it was likely the dvd drive that failed or maybe it was over-heating....I cooled the room down to 65 degrees when I fired it up in hopes that it would buy me some time.

So, I will be shopping for another computer and backing things up on a daily basis from now on. If you are like me, this is your early warning. SAVE YOUR DATA tonight. Wine

milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Back up your data Empty Re: Back up your data

Post by Mo Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:30 pm

You dodged a bullet. Last time mine crashed I lost a a lot of pics of the family
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Dodging bullets is a losing affair most times. This was a warning shot, I am already looking for a replacement. Looks like I'm going over to an Apple IMac this time around.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:02 am

Wow, close call huh Rob ?
I hardly back my data up, but I stored some things in online source, that way I always have access to them anywhere.
If I hadn't bought an iPad, I would make fun of your decision to buy iMac, now I understand why they are much more expensive than a PC.
I'm already considering buying an iPhone 6S+ for my next phone, not 100% yet, I still like my android phone as of now.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:06 am

I am surprised myself Dp, I have always considered Apple to be over-priced and only for Yuppies until now.

My Sister used to manage an Apple store and loaned me her 2010 iMac in case my laptop was toast. I have to admit, I like it and the added screen size is a welcome benefit over my 17 inch screen.

I am also due to replace my Droid phone and I am now considering an iPhone, but that one is a harder sell for me.

Might be nice to start out the Spring season with newer stuff in the office for a change. It has been a few years since I updated my tech.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:13 am

I usually upgrade on or around Father's Day, aside from great deals, it's also summer, it's busy season, so money is not an object around that time of year.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down