Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm supposed to know every cleaner?

+3
Davey Cracker
Mo
milspec6
7 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

I'm supposed to know every cleaner? Empty I'm supposed to know every cleaner?

Post by milspec6 Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:25 pm

I was flagged down by a lady working in her yard today who asked for my card. I decided that it was a good chance to introduce myself in more detail and so I started up a conversation.

At one point, she tells me that she owns some rental properties and that she needed a new cleaner. I asked her why she no loner wants to use her current cleaner? That lead to the following exchanges:

Her: Well, obviously I was using Bill for years, but as you know, Bill died 3 years ago.

Me: I don't know who Bill is, but you must have found a replacement.

Her: Bill....he cleans everyone's place. Well, until he died of course.

Me: I really don't know who that is, but it doesn't matter. What is wrong with your current cleaner?

Her: He doesn't clean like Bill. Bill was great, always polite and he never raised his prices in 10 years. Do you raise your prices every year like this other guy? Bill would never have done that. Can you imagine Bill ever raising his prices or trying to tell someone that they needed to pay extra for something? Can you ever imagine Bill doing that?

Me: I will have to take your word for it regarding Bill, I really don't know who you are talking about. The only cleaners that I know of in you immediate area are Kevin and Donny. I don't raise my rates every year, but I do make adjustments as my costs rise.

Her: Well, as long as you clean like Bill, I have some houses that need cleaned up Thursday. Can you do it?

Me: You will have to tell me after the jobs if I clean like Bill...I really don't know who the guy was.

So, apparently, a cleaner is supposed to know all other cleaners on a personal basis...news to me. I should have said no to these jobs as I am seeing the signs and it isn't suggesting that I steal third. Then again, I have a clear day and I need the money to cover the added start-up costs.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

I'm supposed to know every cleaner? Empty Re: I'm supposed to know every cleaner?

Post by Mo Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm

I have a feeling you're not going to be as good as Bill
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

I'm supposed to know every cleaner? Empty Re: I'm supposed to know every cleaner?

Post by milspec6 Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:45 pm

I suspect the same thing Mo, but I have to take what jobs I can get right now.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking you got Bill covered too.  It's the not raising his price in 10 years thing that has me worried, and even more so that the lady doesn't understand that's a necessary evil.  

When I get a person acting like that with the ('ol how dare you charge me more than you did 10 years ago type thing), I'll politely ask them if they still pay the same amount for their utility's, groceries, gasoline, health care and stuff like that they did 10 years ago......but I'm evil like that.  Twisted Evil ..........I guess I don't have much patient's for customers trying to set my prices by bullying me into what the last guy charged them 3 years ago, who's no longer in business....more than likely because he charged too little, or didn't raise his prices to keep up with his higher cost. rabbit
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:01 pm

"Oh yeah I know Bill ! He died of starvation because of customers like you ma'am !"
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Poor Bill was looking Skinner every year
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 pm

I get those "no longer in business" comments.
I reply, wonder why he is no longer in business?
Then I'll mumble something like, " didn't charge enough to make a living".
Almost always goes over there head.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Well, I thought I would tell you how it turned out. The answer is that it didn't.

An hour before the appointment, the customer calls me and suggests that we re-schedule due to the high winds. I was confused and told her that wind wasn't an issue. She then tells me that "Bill" wouldn't work if it was windy since it would reduce gas mileage too much.

Not kidding here, turns out that Bill's lack of price increases had left him worrying about if the wind would reduce his truck's gas mileage. That was incredible to me.

I told her that it wasn't a problem, but she insisted that I reschedule to a date and time when I happened to be in town already....that is how Bill would do it.

Just plain crazy. confused
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:18 pm

That sounds like a stupid excuse used by a typical time waster....sorry. If you're willing to schedule her once again, I'd be willing to bet on her canceling last min again. Twisted Evil
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Yup, I feel the same way and have already lost her number from my contact list.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:13 pm

I bet "Bill" never existed....Bill is who she will use against you....Bill is her go to price drop guy and to make you compete with even though Bill never was real....even if he was, she will use him against you. You go and do "you".....never compete with Bill.

Tell her Linda never compares you to her previous cleaner....ask if she can she do as well as Linda? Can she TIP like Linda?...Linda was always happy, even when you had to adjust price to fit the economy....Linda was great until she died happy.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Rider Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Following up after "Bill" is the same as marrying a widow. It's a no win situation. Hippo

Rainbow Rider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down