Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended

+3
Freemind1
Mo
milspec6
7 posters

Go down

Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended Empty Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended

Post by milspec6 Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:54 am

Anyone enjoying this nonsense? There are about 6 States with this law and you will be fined and possibly towed for leaving your vehicle running without somebody in it.....even in your driveway.

The intention is to reduce the number of stolen autos but the law was written before remote starters so it just makes this law even more ridiculous. Yet, here in Omaha especially, they do enforce the law even though there is no key inside and it may be parked in your driveway.

I am waiting for the day that they cite me for having my direct drive van running while cleaning a house. It hasn't happened yet, but I was cautioned by one officer that the law would apply to my situation as well, even though it was clearly necessary to work. Needless to say, if that day ever happens, there will be some shouting.

So, I am just curious if anyone has run into this problem in their areas? I especially want to hear from anyone that was hassled over running their direct drive units while away cleaning the house?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended Empty Re: Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended

Post by Mo Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:19 am

Never heard of that Bob. What about trucks that need to be refrigerated? I take it that law wouldn't apply to slide ins?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended Empty Re: Illegal to leave vehicle running unattended

Post by milspec6 Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:02 pm

It would apply to them as well. Isn't that just nuts?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:01 am

Stupid is what that law is.

They can't pass laws without regard to killing a business. All carpet cleaners affected by this, could potentially be run out of business.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:51 am

This law also applies in the following States:

Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, Colorado, Texas, Wisconsin, and South Carolina.

Just in case you were not aware.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Homer Building Maintenanc Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:59 pm

That law would not work in cold places. Sometimes vehicles in Alaska need to be kept running to prevent them freezing. Fortunately I don't live in cold areas like that. The temperature in Homer hovers around freezing most of the winter with constant freeze/melt cycles.
Homer Building Maintenanc
Homer Building Maintenanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Saw a YouTube vid about someone washing their car in the drive way and he was getting harassed by the police issuing him a citation. I think it was in NJ.
Just stupid.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Homer Building Maintenanc wrote:That law would not work in cold places. Sometimes vehicles in Alaska need to be kept running to prevent them freezing. Fortunately I don't live in cold areas like that. The temperature in Homer hovers around freezing most of the winter with constant freeze/melt cycles.

Actually, it is the cold states that passed them. It is true that thieves look for cars running unattended to steal (we had 2 in my neighborhood over the weekend) but there has to be more common sense applied by the laws of the State. It is not the owner's fault that the car is stolen, it remains the thief's fault and the focus should be aimed accordingly.

The idea that you can be fined for letting your car run in your own driveway is really crossing the line. I had 3 vehicles running unattended for as much as an hour each day this past weekend in the -15 degree temps to help keep things from being damaged. If I would have had an officer lecturing me and issuing fines, things would not have gone well for either of us.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I blame the insurance companies for this law, they must've lobbied politicians hard to get them to pass the law to minimize their payout.
If I were you and you're affected by this law, I would fight the citation in court, hope and pray you get a good common sensed judge that can look at this and pursue an amendment for certain vehicles to be exempted.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Hopefully, it never happens to me, but I would not accept it if it did. There is no doubt that the insurance industry pushed this law, but for active enforcement of it is just a joke.

In this State, it is still illegal to tip over an outhouse and to "upset" cattle within the city limits, but I have never seen anyone charged with it in my lifetime.

Some laws were just poorly devised.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:42 pm

If it happened to me, I'd claim selective harassment. What about all the other CC, or septic truck pumping, or when road work being on the hiway and they have units running. I'd get video of police or city vehicles violating that ordinance...
What other kind of service co. would have their van running unattended??
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:05 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:If it happened to me, I'd claim selective harassment. What about all the other CC, or septic truck pumping, or when road work being on the hiway and they have units running. I'd get video of police or city vehicles violating that ordinance...
What other kind of service co. would have their van running unattended??

All valid points.....you can add FedEx and UPS to the list around here. At least in the winter.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by steamprony Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:29 am

The intentions are good though, but this doesn't mark it as an illegal activity to leave your running unattended.
steamprony
steamprony

http://www.steamprony.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Laws like these seem more to be for "post-event" settlement. If a car is stolen that had been left unattended running, then the insurance company can reduce liability....sort of like the drug stamp program where they can add another felony (failure to pay for the illegal drug stamp) to a list of charges.

The problem is in the enforcement. To cite people for letting their vehicle run unattended while on their private property is a major over-reach. That is where I have the most problem.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Or on ANY private property for that matter.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 pm

I bet if you follow the money that law was bought and paid for by the insurance lobby
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down