Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

LG Heater for the Win

+2
dp1
milspec6
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Empty Re: LG Heater for the Win

Post by ACE Services Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:54 am

I would have let him bring it to me. Especially when they don't knock to see I'm home or not.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 pm

I probably should have ACE, but with my luck he would have dropped it.

I need to get a moment to open the box and make sure it is in one piece as well.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:51 pm

I went to unpack the coil finally and had a little scare because part of the coil was sticking out the side of the box. Shocked

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Hole10

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Topvie10

Everything looked fine when I pulled it out....and much heavier than my former coil.  I measured the tubing at 3.25 inches OD which is the same as the old coil??  I guess that means that ID is smaller since the copper should be thicker.  That was sort of a surprise.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Coilfu10

Time to clean out the burner jets again and put this jig-saw puzzle back together.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:54 pm

So the new is a higher pressure than the last one. Maybe its the low pressure one that is more susceptible to rupturing.

Don't lose any of the screws Very Happy . I guess Ill get into mine to see where it leaked
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Yes Mo, the old one was the high psi unit rated for 1300 psi while this one is 2200 psi. There is no way that our equipment will handle anything close to that, but it should be less likely to crack and was only a little bit more costly.

It has been awhile since I took that heater apart, so it might take me the weekend to get it back together and set up. We do have 70 degrees in the forecast for Sunday, so that would be the ideal time for the maiden voyage.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:43 pm

I posted yesterday in this thread but I guess it wasn't posted for some reason, I was saying you should contact FedEx office and speak to supervisor about this, I did that to UPS about 6 years ago since the driver left 5 cases of scotchgard down my stair when I used to live in a condo, that's public areas and people can just snatch them and steal my $ 700 worth of scotchgard, they were very nice about it and after that the driver was very courteous with my packages.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 am

I understand your view Dp, but this has been consistent with all drivers for both UPS and FedEx and not isolated to any one driver nor carrier. They must just assume that any residential deliveries to my area are going to be "no shows".

I still remember telling the Postal Inspector that my carrier had not been delivering any mail to my house in over 2 weeks. The next morning, I opened the mail box to find a 25 lb dead goose shoved in it.

After digging out the goose, I replaced it with a bottle of Jim Beam the next morning and never had another problem with delivery.

Maybe I need to start tipping these guys as an incentive?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:37 am

For what they make and the retirement plan they get, they should just do their job. 50k a year with health benefits and retirement plan with 401k, dang what next we have to go pick up and they get a check also. I was raised you get a honest days pay for a honest days work.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 am

I still remember telling the Postal Inspector that my carrier had not been delivering any mail to my house in over 2 weeks.  The next morning, I opened the mail box to find a 25 lb dead goose shoved in it.

After digging out the goose, I replaced it with a bottle of Jim Beam the next morning and never had another problem with delivery.

Maybe I need to start tipping these guys as an incentive?
[/quote]

Wow is this for real? What a ahole
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

It was real Mo, that guy later retired from the USPS too. One of the reasons I never use them to ship anything more than a bill.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 am

Hopefully, I can finally get to the rebuild on this heater. I was called away yesterday by a friend begging for a guitar that had a gig to perform at. He damaged his acoustic on the way to the show and was desperate.

I got there just about the start time and discovered that he didn't just need another guitar, he needed another player. I am not very good, but got talked into sitting in to help him out.

It didn't really matter that I wasn't very good since the gig was at the grand opening of a hardware store. It was the band and a costumed Super Man along with the paint shaker about 12 feet away.

I am pretty sure that it would go down in history as one of the strangest performance locations and the combination of Johnny Cash songs with a paint shaker and leaf blowers going is not a good one.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 am

A start is born. You never know there may have been a Nashville record label executive buying a hammer or somthing
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I would have been in trouble, I probably would have given him the biggest holy crap moment of his life. When he opened the Bx the next day something would have jumped out at him. Like a stray cat that is pissed off, or just a rubber snake tied to the inside of the lid. So when he opened it the snake would move. As I said, I would be in trouble.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I was very tempted ACE, believe me, but I didn't want to explain to the utility company that I was late because my mail man refuses to deliver my mail. I might as well claim that a goat ate them.

Believe me Mo, there was nobody in that store except a dozen people shopping for leaf bags and interior paint. With the exception of the drunk guy buying fishing lures, nobody was happy to hear renditions of U2 and Johnny Cash played on a couple of acoustic guitars. Not that we sounded bad, because we actually were pretty decent, but this crowd was not interested.

It cost me most of the afternoon and a few shades of dignity. Laughing
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, I didn't get the heater installed yet again today.  I started working on it when my neighbor fell off his roof and I ended up replacing a window for him while he was in the hospital.  The lengths some people go to in order to avoid work. Very Happy

I did get the heater all cleaned up, but something was bugging me.  If you have ever pulled the coil out of your heater you will find that the whole housing just feels like you are carrying a rag-doll cat....the walls twist and collapse without any real structure.

So, I decided to address the problem.  I attached a 3/8 inch thick aluminum plate to the base of the heater using stainless steel bolts and the difference was night and day.  Without adding a lot of weight, the whole frame was now very stable.  No more twisting and collapsing walls, just felt like a sturdy piece of equipment.

I had to use 3 bolts instead of 4 since I didn't have enough stainless steel bolts and wasn't going to drive 20 miles into town for just a single bolt.  Turned out that 3 were fine for my purposes.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Lgplat12

I am going to suggest this idea to LG directly as these heaters should really come this way in my opinion.  For the money we spend on these heaters, they should feel more substantial with less flex to them.  They would probably want to use 4 bolts and counter-sink them, but I didn't go that far.

Besides, my heater is going to be installed on an old set of prothane body mounts left over from a Jeep project more than a decade ago.  This will provide me with enough clearance for the plate bolts to clear and allow some place for water to go in case the tank next to it leaks instead of entering the burner ring.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Sorbot12

So, it is cleaned up (scotch pad) and ready to be assembled.  Hopefully, I will have it done by lunch tomorrow unless there is another major distraction.  I still want to fabricate a wind screen for this heater as well, so any ideas there would be helpful.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Lgbody12
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Is it installed yet?........Nope.
Are you glad you spent the money on a new coil?......Nope.
Do you want to throw the whole thing in the river?.....Pretty damn close.

What went wrong?  Well, first the little things.  The new pressure relief valve is a completely different thread size, so I will need to run into town tomorrow to get pipe adapters.  I had to re-use my old drain plug as the new coil doesn't come with one...luckily, it was the same thread size.

Now the major pita.  The new coil doesn't fit properly in the shell at all.  I was able to get the tin shield around the coil fine, but it ends up being egg shaped instead of round.  The coil sits more towards the back than the center.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Coildi10

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Coilhe10

So, since the coil is not centered, the inlet hole on the lid will not fit.  Not a big deal, will just drill a new hole, but the burner assembly will not be centered under the coil either and that can't be good.  I just don't see how I am going to correct that part.

The crazy thing is I don't understand why it this way?  The #4 heaters are all the same dimensions and the coil tubes are the same outside diameter than my old one.....so why does it not fit correctly?

Everything is ready to go back in after over-hauling the entire burner assembly including a new striker and thermocouple.  I just don't know what to do with this coil placement problem.

So, for all my efforts thus far, I have irritated arms from the insulation, a sore elbow after the 5th time lifting the coil back out when it didn't fit right, and I am still just a pile of parts.

So, what am I missing here???? Does the shield go under the drain pipe? It has been so long since I took it apart I don't even remember, but I wouldn't think there should be exposed piping beyond the shield. I just shut down for the night before I started throwing things.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:13 pm

And I am an idiot......the shield does go behind the drain tube.  I just found my old pictures on the site.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Insula10

Hopefully, things go smoother tomorrow.

LG Heater for the Win - Page 2 Farsid10
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Heater is done.....too bad we have 6 inches of snow in the forecast this weekend and below freezing highs until the middle of next week. I am keeping it in my kitchen until things warm up again. Mad
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 pm

milspec6 wrote:Heater is done.....too bad we have 6 inches of snow in the forecast this weekend and below freezing highs until the middle of next week.  I am keeping it in my kitchen until things warm up again. Mad

You're lucky you're not married, if my wife find that in my kitchen, I would be sleeping in the van with that heater laughing
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 pm

No woman would tolerate my house during the winter. It is wall-to-wall chemical jugs and equipment. Laughing
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:03 pm

It's OK cause Rib cooks dinner in his van.

So whats the temp ATM Rob? I bet you're cooking
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 pm

We had a high today of 26 degrees.....quite a change from the 62 the day before. ATM, is around 200 degrees, cheese omelettes all around. Very Happy
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2