Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Cold one today

4 posters

Go down

Cold one today Empty Cold one today

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 pm

We had an ice storm yesterday followed by 1.5 inches of snow over-night. Not a big storm, but the snow sitting on the ice was not fun and the temps were in the mid-teens for today's job.

I actually decided to give the box truck a try in the sub-freezing temperatures rather than moving everything over to the van. I can honestly say that this truck is done cleaning in the cold this year.

What went wrong? Well, here is the short list:

1. Roll up doors were frozen shut from the ice storm...took a heat gun and rubber mallet to correct.
2. Vac hoses were stiff as a board....like rolling out pvc pipe until they warmed up in the home.
3. Carried all the cold-sensitive items in the cab, but diesels don't produce heat at idle...not a big help until down the road for a bit
4. Had to reach into the vac port to clear some ice that formed over night
5. Filter bag developed some slush and reduced vacuum until I could change the bag
6. Had to winterize the lines, tools, and machine before I left the job

The good news was that the job got done without any damage. I cranked the heat up since it was being fed directly by garden hose so efficiency wasn't great, but it still held 200 degrees at the wand. That was impressive to me, heater sitting outside in a tin can at 16 degrees being fed water that was on the verge of freezing yet 200 degrees at the wand 150 feet away.

I guess it could be used if necessary in the winter with the exception of those roll-up doors freezing shut. It is really embarrassing to not be able to open the cargo box up until you throw a few elbows at it. That wasn't the image I was going for on that job. Razz
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Cold one today Empty Re: Cold one today

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 pm

One time I got to a job and water lines were Almost froze. I grabbed some vac hose, stuck it in vans exhaust to unfreeze things.
I set up better protocols to not duplicate that.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Nothing wrong with that move.

When I ran the NYC marathon I got there on the first bus and had to wait for 3 hours until the start time. The information packet talked about breakfast and heated pavillion, but they forgot to mention that it was for the elite runners only.

I was wearing shorts and tank top in the low 30's temp. After awhile I ended up looking for any source of heat and found a portable light set. I stood in front of the exhaust for about an hour before the start. Surprised it didn't kill me.

I think I will just stick with the Butler and my gas card for winter. Everything inside stays at a warm temperature including the filter. It just gets cramped and expensive on fuel.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:33 pm

For number 5 & 6, I thought you would have the same issues with the Butler ?

Propane is definitely hotter than heat exchanger, that’s pretty impressive temperature atw.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 pm

That is benefit of a Butler is that I can leave it all closed up...filter and all when I work. Sometimes I will winterize otherwise just throw a ceramic heater in the van later.

The downside is that the van is running the whole time from load up to back home.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 am

We haven't been above freezing since the first of the year. Weather man said that a cold front was going to snow 50 miles south of me all the way to the coast 150 miles away, but we were not in the warning area. Well we got hit with 6 inches of snow. The weather man missed it all together. Coldest first week in January in 20 years. Wind chills, at 0 or below for the last 4 days. Today it 6 deg at 8 am.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 pm

That has to miserable. I always thought that NC was one of the colder areas in the winter due to the dampness where I was outside of Jacksonville. That would make those temps feel even worse.

It is finally out of my area with a forecast of a mild 20 degrees tonight and near 40 tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how many pipes froze and flood around town.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:36 pm

The good news is that you will get a ton of repair work out of it! Like most cleaners, I lose money, but you should prosper from it.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down