Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Owner Operators (OO) vs Big Name Companies (BNC)

+14
Mark Saiger
ODIN
OneBlueSummer
Fuzzsucker
TimM
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Mo
Ryan S
REALCLEAN
carpetdaddy
the freakin deacon
milspec6
MikeW
Joe Bristor
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Owner Operators (OO) vs Big Name Companies (BNC) Empty Re: Owner Operators (OO) vs Big Name Companies (BNC)

Post by starrett Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:31 am

26 years of pssion

starrett

Back to top Go down

Owner Operators (OO) vs Big Name Companies (BNC) Empty Re: Owner Operators (OO) vs Big Name Companies (BNC)

Post by starrett Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:33 am

Passion.

starrett

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeW Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:20 am

We develope a relationship with our customers. Trust is a big part of that, a lot of my customers go to work and tell me to lock up when I'm finished.
MikeW
MikeW
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.PaylessSteamCleaning.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:26 am

I grew up here, I know your families and you see me all over town. I don't just make things look better, I make them better. Anyone can improve the appearence of something, but I make certain that I not only leave things looking clean, but sanitized and healthy for your children without using toxic chemicals.

People will shed over 8 lbs. of dead skin cells per year and most of them end up in your home. These cells can feed over 100,000 dust mites in a single yard of carpet and can allow viruses, molds, and bacteria to infect your entire family. Looking clean isn't good enough.

I make your family healthier, happier, and your home cleaner by using the latest equipment, techniques, and always taking the time to ensure that you get the best results for your money. I am just down the road and I am available when you may need me.

As your hometown cleaner, I make your home and family healthier...just like a neighbor should.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the freakin deacon Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:41 am

Because we take the extra steps (as covered in the prospect call) to insure that they won't disappointed in ANY aspect of our service.
the freakin deacon
the freakin deacon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 am

*Our employees are salaried carpet cleaners, not commissioned sales people.
*We guarantee that if we can't make you happy, your service is free - no hastles
*If you have a problem our employees are empowered to do what it takes to fix it
*If you want to speak to me - the owner - directly 24/7, here is my cell number
*We focus on one customer at a time and don't over load our technicians so they have to rush through your job
*You are the most important people in our lives next to our families, and we know without you we don't have a business.
*We do everything possible to keep our overhead at a minimum so we can pass the savings on to you, offering you the best possible service at the lowest possible price
*Our employees are like family. Everyone was hired and trained by me personally
*We are your neighbor
*We shop and purchase locally
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by REALCLEAN Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:02 am

I'm not trying to make a fortune, I'm just trying to make a living.

I always do something extra, free of charge, just because I can. Often its vacuuming the entire house, even if they just ask for the downstairs.

I always send a handwritten thank you card and gift for every referral.

I keep detailed notes on each home, names of kids, pets, interests, etc., and review them thoroughly so its easy to engage in discussion. Names are critical.

Smile. All the time.
REALCLEAN
REALCLEAN
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:49 am

Hey Joe, could you give us a definition of what you're qualifying as owner operator.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:06 am

Never mind just saw your definition above
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 am

"Why can’t you say "I" instead of "we" in this sentence?

Because we take the extra steps (as covered in the prospect call) to insure that they won't disappointed in ANY aspect of our service.

… because I take the extra steps to ensure that you won't be disappointed with ANY aspect of our service.

Do people really care about how you pay your employees? I don’t think so; not near as much as they care that you, the owner, the one ultimately responsible for their satisfaction, is doing just that, personally training them… "

Joe, the reason that I (and I would guess most of us regardless of the number of vans we operate) use "we" instead of "I" in most statements is because my company is a family business. My employees as well as I have worked hard for years to create a strong business centered around family values, and customer satisfaction. My family and employees have suffered and gone without when business was less than good, and they stood by me.

When you ask if people really care about how my employees are paid, my answer is a definitive yes. In this context my customers appreciate the fact that they have a professional cleaning technician in their home that is truly there to clean and help them, and not some professional salesman who is there with the primary intent of selling additional service in order to increase their quoted price/estimate.

So at the end of the day whether I am addressing a customer/prospect on the phone or in person, or in person in the same room as the CEO of any BNC, I will refer to my company as our company. I will convey the point that "we" as a team are here to serve them, because my employees treat my business and my customers as if they were their own.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:44 pm

The bottom line is that we are in the people business. Sure it's important that you learn our trade, know how to sell, and be professional but it goes beyond that. You have to be able to connect with your customers and they have to like and trust you.

I am sincerely interested in the people that I clean for. I don't have a big social life so when I clean that's when I get a chance to interact with people. In fact meeting the people I clean for is one of the most interesting aspect of this business.  Building that rapport with customers takes time and you just can't do that if you schedule 8 jobs a day like the big boys do. There have been instances where I have spent more time talking to a customer than cleaning their house.

We as cleaners make mistakes , sometimes we can't get some spots out, and we're not the lowest priced. But if you customers like and trust they will never call anyone else.

If you look at some of the quotes of reviews that I have received from clients they use my name and really describe personality traits:

Mauricio the proprietor was on time, friendly, explained the process ...

Excellent cleaning, very professional and punctual

He's kind, courteous and highly professional, was even early!  A+++++

Mauricio was pleasant to deal with, prompt in returning my call and came on time.

Wonderful experience all the way around

Very prompt and courteous.

He is conscientious about the work he does and it shows.

This is a one man company who was very responsive and punctual

Mo did a great job but, some stains did remain and, as he said, he returned and took care of them at no charge
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:49 pm

I look at it from the perspective of; where do I go for certain services or products? Places that I feel like they know me and call me by my name(lumpy). Where they say "hey Matt, how's it goin", when I walk in the door.
-I feel like I have built customer relationships like that. We talk about more than just the job. When they call, I know who it is by the sound of their voice. If they are in a crunch time-I will squeeze them in.
they 'TRUST' me in their home!
-years ago I asked a long timer "you know another CC could do it cheaper, so why do you use me"? A: cuz I take care of them.

Matt
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Yep Joe is right. This is gonna be my favorite thread.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TimM Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Well for me it would be pretty simple. 95% of my work is repeat customers and referrals. They know me and I have developed a trust with them. I DO NOT advertise other than a poorly designed website. So when a customer calls me they already know me or know the person who gave them my name. For the ones that are off the street, I explain to them that I am a family owned and operated cleaning company and that all products that I use are designed to be used on the carpets.
I do not use dollar store products or laundry detergent. I also explain to them that I treat every job as if it is my home and I will do it right the first time. They also know I am a member of the community and they see me in the same stores and same events that they go to so my name is on the line when I do a job.
TimM
TimM
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://magaw.org/PriceIsRightCarpetCleaning/

Back to top Go down

Post by TimM Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Joe Bristor wrote:Tim, according to my Find & Replace, you have the new record at ELEVEN "I"s

The new "I" "I" Captain.

That is because I do everything. and in my area I have an advantage because the locals prefer the small mom and pop business. there has been a big push for the last 5 years or so to really push Local business and I make sure my customers know that I am one of them.
TimM
TimM
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://magaw.org/PriceIsRightCarpetCleaning/

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Joe, maybe I am way off base or just an idiot... But as I read every response, I feel like I am reading basically the same thing from everyone (or at least the same sentiment) just worded differently by caring individuals who have passion for their customers and business. And, I think we all get it otherwise we would not be here - trying to better ourselves, help our peers, and make our industry better.

I am not big on conflict, and try to avoid it as much as possible. However, I will point out that your posts on this thread are shockingly narrow minded, and somewhat demeaning to those of us who you asked to participate. I feel like you are talking down to us, and many of your comments will only serve the purpose of alienating people from continuing to participate. Additionally, referring to me as "Joedaddy" instead of Joe or Carpet Daddy in the way that you did is hurtful and disrespectful. I really don't know you, but I have appreciated your thoughtful input on the board, and your help as a supplier. I hope that my comments are taken constructively and not disrespectfully. I am thankful and proud to be a member of this board.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 pm

carpetdaddy wrote:Joe, maybe I am way off base or just an idiot... But as I read every response, I feel like I am reading basically the same thing from everyone (or at least the same sentiment) just worded differently by caring individuals who have passion for their customers and business. And, I think we all get it otherwise we would not be here - trying to better ourselves, help our peers, and make our industry better.

I am not big on conflict, and try to avoid it as much as possible. However, I will point out that your posts on this thread are shockingly narrow minded, and somewhat demeaning to those of us who you asked to participate. I feel like you are talking down to us, and many of your comments will only serve the purpose of alienating people from continuing to participate. Additionally, referring to me as "Joedaddy" instead of Joe or Carpet Daddy in the way that you did is hurtful and disrespectful. I really don't know you, but I have appreciated your thoughtful input on the board, and your help as a supplier. I hope that my comments are taken constructively and not disrespectfully. I am thankful and proud to be a member of this board.

This has been a passionate topic in all directions and I feel that it has been a constructive one.  When I started this business on my own several years ago, I had a website built and followed someone's advice from another board to refer to the company in the third person instead of "I".  I was told that it would allow me to grow and maybe sell the business easier by not attaching it to just my mug.  Truth is, it didn't match the way that I operated and I found that my comapny was really more about selling me, than the service.  Now that I think about it, I never updated the language on the site and need to do that right away.

I think Joe has done a good job at illustrating what we all knew, but may not have been embracing fully, that the O/O is selling a different product and that product is more desireable to the average customer.  I am sorry to see that you took offense to it Carpet Daddy, but I don't think that you need to as you are one of us and understand that you are the key product in your business...just a difference in syntax.

One of the major problems with text is that it doesn't always get interpreted correctly.  What the receiver believes and what the sender intended are not always the same.  Joe writes with great literary voice, that is to say that he writes like he talks and it flavors the text accordingly.  The problem is that you don't get to see the eyes and mannerisms that go along with the delivery and sometimes that can end with a perceived insult that may have not been the intent.

For me, this topic reminded me of what I discovered along the way and what I wish I had known from the start....it is you that they want to hire, not the company.  Hopefully, this has been a reminder to others, especially those starting out, that you should lead with your strength instead of trying to be like the "other guy".

Sorry this was so long winded, it was the cookie that I ate.  I could have summarized this topic up with a video clip of Eddie Haskel vs. Wally and you would have understood the point of what a customer is looking for in a cleaner.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I get it.  I can appreciate a perspective look at things.  Especially this topic, often as OO we get caught up  in our little bubble of, "the little guy" and think thats enough to retain and build our customer base, and sets us apart from the "big boys".  

I know that people do business with us not because our price, business name, branding, equipment (the client could give a rats ass about what TM we run along with other things), cleaning methods (although application helps retain), or really even if I am an OO/locally owned and operated.  These things are not really on their radar or on the top five anyways.  I encompass what I build this company on over fours years ago in my mission and vision statement.  

Mission Statement

Provide a quality cleaning service founded on integrity, value, education, and experience.

Vision Statement

Neighbors Serving Neighbors

So what was I thinking when I scripted that fours years ago.  I wanted to remind me everyday I opened my doors for business that its about "Excellence" in every detail.  I will define "Excellence" later.  I wanted to build my business on things that I knew people missed with me in my life when engaged with people.  Wither it was a boss, family member, friend, co worker, neighbor, business interaction, and so on.  Does it mean that I never miss the mark personally, or even as a team in our company.  Absolutely not!  But I do posses the deep core value the always aim at Excellence.  I want all my clients to hear in my voice, in the way I listen, in the way I answer questions, in the way I describe how we will handle their home, in the way I follow them around in their home and listen to their concern, in the way I focus when we clean, in the way I finish in their home, and many more.  I dont do a lot of things that most do, such as, follow up letters, post cards, pre service emails/letters, ect.  What I do is focus on finding out what they need and meeting that need with our services.  My personality comes out in all of us.  Ask Joe, when Lesley answers the phone he probably can sense a touch of Ryan in how the call is handled.  

You see it all starts with me.  The guy who developed the Mission Statement and Vision Statement.  I have a hard time convincing Lesley of that.  You see people dont really care if its me cleaning, Im sure they would rather me be there, but again they will have me in there home because I have conveyed how things are handled to our employees.  Shoot these days I have my employees being requested over me. I love that.  

So what makes me different than the "big boys"?  Its "ME"!  I have no restrictive list of products that are approved.  I have no manuscript that been written on how to handle a-z.  What I have is "ME".  A personal drive to care for people.  A personal satisfaction to meet the needs of my neighbors.  

And that brings me to "Excellence"

Excellence is not to be confused with Perfection.  You see excellence is for the whole, it is the forward focus to continually strive for improvement.  

I have a story.  This year I had a new employee at one of the companies we service refuse to use our service.  I worked with this person for the first three months of them coming on to try and work through this issue.  I was never able to find the common ground.  It was extremely hard to walk through.  I talked with the Managers, to no avail.  So I decided the best thing to do was step away and not continue to press the issue.  You see if I would have continued to press this matter to the point where I got my way, I would have missed the need of my client, but meet my personal need at that time.  See what was going on was an employee that was not on the team.  The employees goal was to serve them self.  So by stepping out of picture I allowed less pressure and stress on a bad situation.  In the end the employee moved on and I was contacted for our services.  I didn't stop there though.  I made sure to take the opportunity to learn and ask if I could have handled the situation better if given the chance again.

To me its not about who, its about "ME" being seen in every aspect of my company.  I may not be around some day but my finger print will always be present.  

So why do the clients in the middle of this room turn to me for their cleaning needs?  Its because they feel like I am who they are.  I identify with what they need in that moment.

Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next