Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I surrender, winter wins

+6
CleanTech
dp1
Ryan S
Mo
Pro Touch
milspec6
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I surrender, winter wins Empty I surrender, winter wins

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:53 am

Last night I had one more apartment  to finish on my schedule left from Monday.  It was a 3 story unit and I could only get to it after 8 pm.  By the time I started to set-up, the temperature was down to -4 degrees.  Not your ideal situation, but they had a new tennant moving in next morning, so I was stuck.

I am not new to winter cleaning and have a good set-up ritual, so I just got to it while keeping the wand on bypass to keep hot water circulating.  After spraying 2 rooms, I sarted to wand and then things went bad.  I lost vacuum.  I ran down and checked my hoses, the hose cuffs a few feet from the filter (which was in the van with doors closed) were solid balls of ice.

I cleared the obstruction and ran back to the wand.  Made it about 6 passes before losing vacuum again.  Run down and realized that my filter was packed full of slush and fully blocked off.  I changed filter liner and hoped to get the job done quickly...it plugged up again in less than a minute.

Game over, I waved the white flag, packed up and went back to the heated shop before I damage my equipment...if I hadn't already.  I wish I had loaded up my portable, but hindsight has little value at the time of discovery and it was getting too late to try again.  I had to tell the property manager that I could not complete this job in time.

One of the hardest things about keeping a full-time job that requires an average of 60 hours per week, is time management.  You don't always get to schedule things for the ideal conditions and this winter has made it very difficult to even schedule things for the minumum conditions.  This was another learning experience for me, it isn't just the solution lines that are a freeze concern and to plan on keeping alternative methods available for conditions like this.

I guess it really is time to drop one of these occupations, I just can't keep everything in play on 4 hours of sleep and oatmeal each day.  I hope spring is coming soon.....
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

I surrender, winter wins Empty Re: I surrender, winter wins

Post by Pro Touch Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 am

I feel for ya. But even if you had loaded your porty or encapped eith your crb you would be wondering if your truckmount was freezing up while you were working.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 am

That's true Pro Touch I was going to recommend that he use his Orbot

I forgot that you're working two jobs Mil. You certainly gave it shot I hope your rig is OK
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:19 am

I'm awarding Rob the iron man award for February. Spring is on the way.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 am

I keep the van closed up during the winter, so the inside stays warm, but I had never seen my hoses freeze up like that before. Maybe it was due to them hanging off the side of the building about 150 feet from the van?

In any event, I had one section of hose split and found some chunks of ice in the was tank. I just hope that the blower wasn't damaged in any way.

These 2 nights were great learning experiences. I came away last night with a new understanding about vac hoses freezing. Until, now I had never worried about it before...never had it happen before.

It is like good swimmers that drown. Most of the time, a good swimmer gets too confident in their abilities that they push to far thinking that they would just back-float to rest if they get tired. Then they discover that when you are winded, you don't float, you sink.

As good cleaners, we sometimes let ourselves get too confident and attempt new things ill-prepared. In my case, it was cleaning below zero, but it could also be that first time you clean a vintage heirloom sofa after cleaning hundreds of microfiber sofas only to drown from over-confidence.

That is why boards like this are so valuable, we all learn from each other to prevent mistakes. Of course, if you just lurk around, then you aren't helping much.

I learned valuable lessons this week...I hope others have as well.

i
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 am

I saw the weather report in the news last night about below zero temperature up there and I immediately thought about you Rob, wow that's scary situation, I think if you want to keep the 2 jobs, you need a helper for carpet cleaning, it makes a huge difference in speed and you need speed in cleaning below zero situation.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by CleanTech Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am

guys guys guys

get a webasto st2000 diesel or gas

or an equivalent from Espar

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
set it and forget it!
CleanTech
CleanTech
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 am

I guess I am getting slow Dp, just can't find any helper willing to work nights in the cold....they are all smarter than me. Very Happy 
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 pm

milspec6 wrote:I guess I am getting slow Dp, just can't find any helper willing to work nights in the cold....they are all smarter than me. Very Happy 

Just move to California already, I'll find you a helper in no time, I know one right on top of my head, his name is Dave Trager Razz
Oh wait, if you move to California, you won't need a helper anymore, you'd be cleaning in shorts and under shirts, besides that Dave Trager is too expensive anyway, he won't work for minimum wage  Evil or Very Mad damn liberals  laughing 
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm

^ that's funny.  laughing 
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 pm

damn milspec,

I dont use TM on apartments and try to stay away from really even doing them much. The managers tend to be cheap and its so much work to set up and tear down, I just cant really be profitable unless its VLM for anything over the 3rd floor (except for cleaning the actual building halls, etc)

some good pads and some s/o/o with peroxide should be able to make any manager somewhat happy, then if its pet damage use the TM and up the charge.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 pm

All very true AC, they are a pia and you end up working for demanding managers. This was one that is located 2 blocks from my home, so I figure that it saves me enough in fuel and transit time to make it worthwhile....maybe not this time, but normally.

These carpets should have been replaced a decade ago and are often very trashed. I don't doubt the vlm approach, but I am used to the hwe on carpets like these....I am just more comfortable.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:57 pm

I Understand the HWE "comfort" on these rental units, but man with the troubles like you had there, I'd say get what's needed to do VLM on those jobs and spare yourself the grief and expense, at least for sub below temp jobs like this!

I'm sure you won't regret the equip purchase cost!  cheers 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 pm

dp1 wrote:
Just move to California already, I'll find you a helper in no time, I know one right on top of my head, his name is Dave Trager Razz
Oh wait, if you move to California, you won't need a helper anymore, you'd be cleaning in shorts and under shirts, besides that Dave Trager is too expensive anyway, he won't work for minimum wage  Evil or Very Mad damn liberals  laughing 

Yea, Mr Funny Boy here.^^...............  laughing laughing 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:40 am

'Doomed" is correct, I was just too dumb to realize it at the time.

I have vlm equipment now as well as my olsteam in demon, but they were located in the heated shop 25 miles away. It was poor decision making as much as the temps that sunk me.

Sucks that I didn't have enough time to recover and change methods. I guess this is another example of why I plan to switch to a cube van in the near future...one less variable to deal with.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

When I run into that, I just get rid of the filter and then filter the waste water as it comes out at the shop.

Was cleaning again in -26 Below today. And wouldn't you know it had to be 3rd floor cleaning, no problems thankfully.

Sometimes the cuffs can get a bit of a leak and cause this problem too. I haven't tried it yet, but someone told me about cutting up bicycle tires and slipping over the top of cuffs like big rubber bands.

When things are so cold, the cuffs can shrink a bit and maybe a small leak happen, and then it causing more of a windchill factor in the hose and builds up at restriction points. Has only happened to me once thankfully.

Don't know why I get so lucky to be honest!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.saigers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:55 pm

We have been bringing a shovel and a small snowblower the past 2 days just to get into some of your jobs.

Just crazy!

Mark Saiger
www.saiger.com

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27170917_zpsa8cdbfb4

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27170808_zps1f98c985

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27170112_zpsbdddadd7

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27164550_zps3fb2d733

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27164720_zps61c9066b

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27164427_zps23c5f002

I surrender, winter wins 2014-02-27122709_zps0132be99
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Mark Saiger wrote:When I run into that, I just get rid of the filter and then filter the waste water as it comes out at the shop.  

Was cleaning again in -26 Below today.  And wouldn't you know  it had to be 3rd floor cleaning, no problems thankfully.

Sometimes the cuffs can get a bit of a leak and cause this problem too.  I haven't tried it yet, but someone told me about cutting up bicycle tires and slipping over the top of cuffs like big rubber bands.  

When things are so cold, the cuffs can shrink a bit and maybe a small leak happen, and then it causing more of a windchill factor in the hose and builds up at restriction points.  Has only happened to me once thankfully.

Don't know why I get so lucky to be honest!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Maybe you can try those new mytee wraps on the cuffs?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Oh my!! That scares me just looking at it. You sir get the Dumb and dumber award. Thanks for reminding me how much I love Carolina. I would be depressed!!! Make that money Mark! I love your passion!
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Lol Ryan

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm blaming you Mark, your videos made it look too easy Razz 
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:41 pm

snowmobile with a TM in a snowmobile trailer!

some access here in seattle is just a ridiculous so we joke about how much we would have to charge for a helicopter TM service

btw how much do you charge, if you dont mind, for a cleaning where you have to clear the driveway of snow to get in? do you just add the time it takes to the hourly charge?
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Saiger Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:55 pm

ACpower1 wrote:snowmobile with a TM in a snowmobile trailer!  

some access here in seattle is just a ridiculous so we joke about how much we would have to charge for a helicopter TM service

btw how much do you charge,  if you dont mind,  for a cleaning where you have to clear the driveway of snow to get in?    do you just add the time it takes to the hourly charge?    

Nothing extra, but it sure does get people talking and I don't have to send out discount type coupons to recruit jobs Smile

I did have a water damage couple days ago for a person with wheel chair needs. We blew out the path from the front door to the street. The adjuster told me to make sure I add a couple hours in time on the invoice for the good deed we did.

I know it is more work, but it just feels good to help others and it also makes it so we do have work.

Like I tell my guys....there aren't too many others as crazy as us doing this Smile

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Mark Saiger
Mark Saiger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Another great point on the score board for O/O v/s BNC. I did something similar today for a long time client. These small acts of kindness as Terry calls it's separates us from the ridged riggers of BNC policy manuals. It's what drive business through the roof, along with keep ya coming back to work everyday for more.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next