Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Winter cleaning has begun

4 posters

Go down

Winter cleaning has begun Empty Winter cleaning has begun

Post by milspec6 Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:56 pm

December first is the start of the miserable winter cleaning routes where I spend most of my time cleaning entries of stores and hospitals on a weekly basis. They are just a quick 45 minute job, but I'll cover 6 of them per week....pays about $850.

It is hard to call it cleaning as it is mostly just rinsing away all the ice melt, but it helps pay the bills and does one heck of a job at product placement as you are blocking the entrance each time. I always have a container of business cards mounted on the side of the van as well as a few in my pocket...normally had out several each week.

It is crappy work though as they are all evening jobs when the temps are at their lowest and sucking salt is not real rewarding as they end up looking like crap after just a couple of days. These guys must buy ice melt by the tanker truck!

My goal is to try a new ice melt remover each week to see which one works best for the money and post the results. I don't really expect any surprises, but there might be a real secret out there waiting to be exposed....I would love to find one that did the job well, inexpensive, and smelled clean.

First stage will be on Friday...might test a few (thanks for the suggestions) on that date since the temps will be in the upper 20's at least. There will be weeks where it is single digit temps and you are essentially working outside the whole time...tough on the body and tough to get heat to the carpet.

Once again...hate winter.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Winter cleaning has begun Empty Re: Winter cleaning has begun

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:07 pm

You know as bad as a lot of that sounds, the sound of that steady winter income sounds good to me......be Grateful you have it. I've had the steady income before but no longer do, and I'd rather put up with the crap it takes to have it, and the not worrying about how to pay the bills, than not.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:You know as bad as a lot of that sounds, the sound of that steady winter income sounds good to me......be Grateful you have it.  I've had the steady income before but no longer do, and I'd rather put up with the crap it takes to have it, and the not worrying about how to pay the bills, than not.

Thanks for the reminder....winter is always a nervous time for business and not having the holiday crush this year makes it feel even worse. You're right, having some steady work is a good thing, but I will be singing for my supper. I just can't help but think back to my California days cleaning in Laguna......big difference, lucky bastards. Razz
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:08 am

Yea, I don't mean to sound like an ass here, but for whatever reason the holiday season has always been slow for me, and the reason I say I know that steady income is nice.......especially now that I don't have it.

It always seems to work out, but the worrying about it happening, sure seems to age me. wink
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Floorguy Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:33 am

so its 850 a week??? for 6 accts at roughly 45 a piece??

yea thats pretty good clean up during the slowest part of the year
Floorguy
Floorguy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.paynelessfloorcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 am

Floorguy wrote:so its 850 a week???  for 6 accts at roughly 45 a piece??

yea thats pretty good clean up during the slowest part of the year

I often spend too much time on them the first couple of weeks before getting the system worked out, but after that, about 45 minutes. I wish it was all gravy, but they are located in 2 towns about 20 miles apart, so fuel costs eat into the contracts more than I would like.

Still, I am thankful for them, I know a lot about worrying and I didn't get these grey hairs from nothing. Wink
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm

dealing with the cold here too Mil, not really bad but its been getting into the 20s.

I used to not mind it at all but its annoying when I have stuff all over that I have to worry about freezing. No chance of heating my shop it would cost me a fortune.

ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:08 pm

ACpower1 wrote:dealing with the cold here too Mil,    not really bad but its been getting into the 20s.    

I used to not mind it at all but its annoying when I have stuff all over that I have to worry about freezing.      No chance of heating my shop it would cost me a fortune.    

Exact same boat my friend. I'm not sure what changed, but every forecast just adds to my stress levels, but never used to be that way. Maybe I just have too much stuff at risk these days?

It would take about 3k to finish my garage out and heat....just can't see spending the money for what is essentially a 4 month problem.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down