Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Guys in colder areas (Rob)

4 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

Guys in colder areas (Rob) Empty Guys in colder areas (Rob)

Post by Devon07 Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:06 pm

You ever use one of these? Not sure if this one does it but I was searching for one that send an alarm when temp reaches a selected temp to warn prior to freezing to remember to put heat on...I always remember but last night I knew I would put the truck in the shop when I was ready for bed but the temp dropped more than I thought and it could have been bad. I need a warning!

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/la-crosse-alerts-wireless-monitor-system-with-temperature--humidity.cfm?ltype=child&tid=LCT303-1
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Guys in colder areas (Rob) Empty Re: Guys in colder areas (Rob)

Post by GBCC Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Never used one but I've heard of guys using them. I ran a gallon of AF through my machine last weekend but at 10.00 it will be expensive. I will try the windshield washer stuff next time.
GBCC
GBCC

http://Greatbaycarpetcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:15 pm

You can recover it cant you? rotate it in and out as needed, just capture it. Not sure I would use AF anyway....RV type products.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Never used that particular model of warning, but yes, both my trucks have monitors inside. I normally set the sensor right next to the cat pump and place the receiver next to my kitchen window in direct line of sight.

I don't have one that calls my cell, but I tend to check on my receiver about every hour when things get cold enough to worry. The only issue is that many of them don't transmit too well without a good line of sight.

As for the rv anti-freeze vs the windshield de-icer, I prefer the rv anti-freeze since many brands also include a pump lube in them. The windshield deicer tends to dry out rubber parts (ever notice your wipers drying out in the winter?).

The key to not going broke on the RV stuff is to make sure that you get rid of ALL the water in your system first. If you just run the rv through the system without blowing out the water, it will be a mixture and the water can still freeze up.

Last year, I flushed out my system after using RV antifreeze into a bucket with the intent of re-using it that night. When I returned, there was a 2 inch layer of solid ice on top of the anti-freeze where it separated. You do not want that.

Just pump the system until dry and then feed it the RV stuff until it comes out of the hoses and you will be fine. Don't forget to unload the truck and remove the pressure gauge if you can as they can still freeze up as well.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Now that you nudged me on this topic, I did some playing around with my situation and discovered a few things.

The average van would require about 6500 btu to raise the interior 35 degrees.  So, if it is down near zero, you better be winterized or else running dual heaters.  I normally do both in case of a power outage while I am away.  Single heater when temps about 20 outside has worked out fine.

This box truck of mine requires about 15,000 btu to raise it 35 degrees.  That would not be workable with space heaters.  I have my bus heater on the way (30,000 btu dual fan) this week and hope to have it installed this weekend while the temps are in the low 40's.

Funny thing is that this heater uses the trucks coolant to generate the heat and I am not so certain that my diesel is going to work very well with the design.  

I just left my diesel running at just above idle for the last 20 minutes and it is still only luke warm in the cab.  It takes a long time to get a diesel to get hot so I will have to plan ahead when getting ready for a job.

I still have to decide where to place the heater.  The compartments make it difficult to move air to where I need it, so I will probably have to mount it elevated and tilted slightly downward to get air moving towards the back.

I hope those dual fans can push it that far.... scratch
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 pm

How much temp difference is between outside and inside van with no heat?...is it around 5/10 degrees difference? saying its 32 outside would it be about 37 in the van w no heat?...Im in a non heated non insulated shop....keeps wind temps off the van....then the van is closed up...I bet there will be three different temps at the same time....a few degrees apart from each other.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Uninsulated should net you 5 degrees....insulated could be 10-15 degrees depending on level of insulation. Mine is insulated with 1 inch foam and it will hold the heat in for about 4 hours after shutting down.

My garage only has insulated walls with no heat, yet it will still be 8 degrees warmer than outside with the van parked inside.

One of great benefits of putting a heater in the van AND parked inside the garage is that the van then becomes a heater for the garage as well. That warm up helps keep the van warmer at the same time you are heating the inside.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:47 am

Thats kind of what I remember Rob....I was trying to recall all my old info and my brain just doesn't hold that long any more. I have mine in the shop and the van with the heater in it...Im buying a few thermostats today to give me the difference.
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:22 pm

you can also wrap the key parts in blankets. Ive done this before in the past when our express was going to sit for a few weeks in winter.

I wrapped the little giant in a thermo blanket and then a couple cheap blankets I got from a thrift store.

also sometimes would wrap the machine itself. then of course a small heater in van just set at 40f
but the blankets are like insulating really well just right at the part u dont want to freeze instead of the whole van
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GBCC Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Yea, I can recapture it but I'm sure there's still almost a gallon of water in my water box when I added the antifreeze and it will dilute more each time so I might get two more changes before I have to start over. The guy I bought the truck said regular antifreeze was what he used but the expense will have me using windshield washer fluid or rv antifreeze.
GBCC
GBCC

http://Greatbaycarpetcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:59 pm

My Brother is a boat mechanic and used to swear by regular antifreeze, but got tired of the shop being surrounded by dead rabbits, squirrels, stray cats, mice, birds, etc. Shocked

He only uses RV antifreeze now and hasn't had a problem in 20 years. Boats costing 50k are sitting in driveways all winter long under snow and none has suffered freeze damage yet.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down