Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

what do you guys think of this ad?

+7
Joe Bristor
Ryan S
milspec6
Freemind1
( miller ) gerry
Mo
Fred H
11 posters

Go down

what do you guys think of this ad? Empty what do you guys think of this ad?

Post by Fred H Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm

I created this to combat a lower priced local cleaner that advertises in Val Pak and according to his posts on other boards he is wildly successful. He has not hurt my business at all because I have been around so long that repeats and referrals keep me busy, but I am sure I have lost a few people to him.

what do you guys think of this ad? <a href=what do you guys think of this ad? Superduperpostcard_zps18ff404f" />
Fred H
Fred H

http://www.fredscarpetcavalry.com

Back to top Go down

what do you guys think of this ad? Empty Re: what do you guys think of this ad?

Post by Mo Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:51 pm

That's pretty cool Fred. I like the way you very plainly compared and contrasted the two options. Is this a post card you send to potential clients? Newspaper insert?  Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:54 pm

I do not think you need to worry about the cheap work he is getting. After they use the other cleaner, most likely they will call you again. Probably would be OK to send this out. But I need to think on that some more. Call my cell if you want to chat. 815-867-0404. I am on central time. Gerry

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.gemscarpetcleaningplus.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Do you know for a fact, your competitor is inexperienced? That he is uneducated? That he is really only taking 15 minutes to clean a whole house?

I don't advertise speaking unknowns and talking down about competitors.

The graphic you used to portray your competition actually makes him look stronger, not weaker.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Like Freemind, the first thing I thought about was the depiction might be too personal. You are calling out the guy indirectly as a hack who is undeducated and will damage a customer's carpet. That might be a little unfair and create some negative returns.

I really like the description of yourself Fred, I would just go with that to state your case and let the coupon guy go under on his own quietly. Nobody lasts in any industry without product quality, they exhaust their potential customers by never getting return work, so their threat is short-lived.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:39 pm

I would suggest to remain focused on your business plan and let the others do as they may. We can't know or control what other businesses do. Keep the attention of you and keep it positive and educational.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by dp1 Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 pm

What's wrong with trashing the competitor ?? As long as what you say is true, e.g. bad reviews on the internet about the competitor, etc.
I personally don't do it because we already have great reviews as it is and all I say to price shopper is "you will get what you paid for", now a lot of you will disagree with me but I can't tell you how many customers I've talked to say "oh I paid $ 100 for my whole house last time but when I called him, the phone is disconnected", of course the phone is disconnected lady, how can he pay his bills by charging $ 100 for 2 - 3 hours of work, you all say there are some people do quality work for cheap, yes that's true BUT the biggest question is how long are they going to last ?? It's a jungle out there and everyone need to survive this unstable market.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 am

Fred H wrote:I created this to combat a lower priced local cleaner that advertises in Val Pak and according to his posts on other boards he is wildly successful. He has not hurt my business at all because I have been around so long that repeats and referrals keep me busy, but I am sure I have lost a few people to him.

what do you guys think of this ad? <a href=what do you guys think of this ad? Superduperpostcard_zps18ff404f" />
Fred, I have to be honest.

I think it looks very home made-ish, MS PowerPoint possibly? Personally I think you could get a much better add made by a person that does that for a living. scratch 

I can't really say I'm a fan of the 'bad mouthing', either. I just wonder what's the point of putting him down, when you say " He has not hurt my business at all"? confused 
If you're just trying to compete and win over new customers over him?..... I think I would do so more by really stressing what makes you different and better than the next guy(s), rather than put this one specific guy down.......Pump up yourself instead of put the others down I say.

Of course that's just my opinion, and you know what the say, everyone has one. wink laughing 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 am

BTW just because HE SAYS he's "wildly successful" on forums, doesn't really mean anything! I mean Really, how often do you see guys posting they are 'wildly UN-successful'? rabbit Razz 

A Lot of carpet cleaners are Full of It!! lol! 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:27 am

I'm wildly successful!  I'm a marketing mad man! I make $2,300 in one high in home!

Test 1 2 3............

Good point Davey, nothing changed with my business in that statement.  Dang it!  Back to work!

Not directed at ya Fred. I just thought Davey said something we have all seen else where so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Last edited by Ryan S on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:00 am

Fred, take out the arrows and the right half of the ad and you have something good. Simple, hometownish looking, a decent offer, and positive points about your service (I design all of my ads and purposely don't make them look like a professional artist made them). The point of a good ad should be to make the phone so you can make the sale when they call. Trashing the competition just makes the trasher look bad. Crying or Very sad  . There is no need to even worry about losing a few if he is as bad as you think he is. In the end he will get bad word of mouth (which travels fast) and you will have the opportunity to gain a life time customer and the good referrals that are generated by her next time around.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 am

Normally I would I agree with the rest of the fellows about putting the competition down.
Now Fred has been in business for over 30 years he doesn't need to do any advertising but for some reason this guy has gotten under his skin and if it makes him feel better I say go with.
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:BTW just because HE SAYS he's "wildly successful" on forums, doesn't really mean anything! I mean Really, how often do you see guys posting they are 'wildly UN-successful'? rabbit Razz 

A Lot of carpet cleaners are Full of It!! lol! 
You know what they say, never trust a roofer, an auto mechanic and a carpet cleaner, ha..ha..ha.....
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by OneBlueSummer Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:04 pm

What we like doesn't matter. Fact is most franchises use "scare" tactics in the majority of there marketing, why? Because it works!
Like everyone above I dont like putting others down, and claiming marketing mumbo jumbo but the fact is, most customers believe it.

The ad does look homemade and out of the 90's clip art bin... but, as stated above, this will evoke a different type of consumer than a modern HD looking ad will. There are benefits to both types of ads and agree with what Joe G had said above. I would say yours would ad trust because some look at the modern flashy ads and think they are going to get screwed( most conservitive middle to old folks.)
Though some will look at them and think oh I like the look of this, I am gonna call this new modern guy. (mostly younger house wives)
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred H Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow, Thanks for the input guys. Sorry it took so long to respond.

The ad is homemade.
I have not used this ad other than to post on Craigslist which is not my target market, I assure you, but it is free.
I did get one call from a property manager that said he saw it, So I went to take a look at a few of his units in a new complex but there was something about the guy that told me I did not really want to work for him, while we were walking to the units, he was micro managing things such as the way a child had placed their bicycle in a rack, and picking up bits of small trash (he manages section 8 units so we know what kind of carpet cleaning I would be doing, not the most desirable conditions to work in.

I am trying to point out the benefits of using an experienced cleaner and the potential pitfalls of just hiring some one from a coupon. He doesn't even use a real picture of himself in his ads, I do. I hate cookie cutter ads and websites with pictures of model families with toothy grins, stock pictures of fancy living rooms. Let's get real people.
Fred H
Fred H

http://www.fredscarpetcavalry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down