Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Before I smash it

+2
Freemind1
milspec6
6 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Before I smash it Empty Before I smash it

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 am

I know we are a bunch of rug suckers, but I have always been amazed by the intelligence of you guys on stuff like this, so looking for advice.

I have my new computer system on the way and should be here mid-week. Well, actually a little sooner, but I am having the excess software bloat removed first and the monitor may not be here until Thursday.

So, I am still using my laptop for internet usage and invoicing, but it has a problem. I can run it all day without a hint of problems and then it will freeze, crash to blue screen, and say that a boot disk is required when it tries to reboot. I can kill the power and re-start and it will boot up like normal and run fine again for x-amount of hours before it does it again.

Virus search turned up clean. No odd noises. No pattern to it.

I backed up the data (minus the actual programs) and was thinking about replacing the drive with a SSD drive and just re-loading the machine for continued usage, but I really would like to fix this thing without having to go through all that trouble.

Any ideas?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Before I smash it Empty Re: Before I smash it

Post by Freemind1 Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:52 am

To be honest, I'm not extremely tech savvy. If I had problems like that, I'd take it to my computer guy and pay him $100 to get it running again.

Crashes like that, indicate some type of virus to me. It could be your hard drive breaking down, but I'd pay someone to do that, myself. My laptop is only used for business, and I'd be F***ed if it died. I have back ups of my quick books, but it's not installed on my desktop.

My desktop is my "all things" of my house. My wifi, main printer, (soon to be) home security system, all are tied to it. But, mine too (desktop) needs to be replaced.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm

That is part of my problem too Freemind, I rely on this thing for business, home accounting, entertainment, etc.

I have the data stored, but I don't want to go through all the trouble of reformatting and installing all that crap again. around here, that tech service always ends up with reformatting and a $300 bill. I could buy a cheap system for that.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Wow. 300 is a bunch.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Too little info Bob, needs more info, is it running windows ? What's the current processor, memory, and HD capacity ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Oh before you smash it, you could sell it on eBay and make at least $ 100 for it Very Happy

I just saw your other posts, yeah I wouldn't fix that thing, it's too low of specs to even mess around with it, and I don't think you can get $ 50 for that on eBay. You should try to list it on Craigslist. See if any local people bite.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:58 pm

I might take it to the gun range and vent some frustration instead this week.  It is running acceptable for now and the new system will be on-line in a few days, so it will get a special recycling.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Sounds like the hard drive is crashing. Try to make a boot disk backup then find any high school kid and have them fix it, replace the hard drive. Reinstall the OS with the boot disk if you are lucky.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:31 pm

It might very well be that, but I have only seen that happen once and there was no recovery after. This thing boots back up and runs great for 8-24 hours without a problem before it crashes again.

Still might be though.....
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Also could be a motherboard solder joint that gets hot and breaks a connection.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:25 pm

I will probably limp along and hope it holds up until the other system is operational. Then I might tear it apart out of curiosity and go from there.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinj6121 Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Get a Mac. I run both a PC and a Mac, I keep nothing important on my PC at all.
kevinj6121
kevinj6121
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:24 pm

I almost did Kevin, but my Sister talked me out of it. She used to manage an Apple store in Chicago and told me that they have been using cheap components once they allowed Windows to co-exist on their machines.

She basically told me that they are no different now and to get what I was used to at this point. Don't know if it is true at all, but it was enough for me to stay PC.

Everything is junk these days really. My mother still uses my old Gateway 486 DX/2 machine from 1989 for household stuff and to play bridge on. That thing was built like a tank compared the crap I find these days.....I would love to have a keyboard like that again.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinj6121 Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:24 am

I don't know about apple switching over to cheap components since allowing windows to co-exist, don't think i believe that at all, nothing against your sis. Only difference I believe is the processor itself. I can only speak of my experience with apple computers. I started using apple computers in 1999 and it has been nothing but positive. I buy one, use it for 3 to 4 years then sell it and upgrade to the newest, so i have had a lot of them since 1999 and have never had any problems at all, they just work.
iMac 21.5‑inch
with Retina 4K display
from $1499

21.5‑inch (diagonal) LED‑backlit Retina 4K display
3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
1TB 5400-rpm hard drive; 1TB or 2TB Fusion Drive; or up to 512GB flash storage (SSD)2
Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Trackpad 2

This is a lot more expensive then your average PC I know. But even after 3 or 4 years of use you can sell it for almost a 50% return of purchase price. I know this to be true because I have been doing it since 1999, never took more then a week to find a buyer. try getting 50% of your money back after 4 years of use on a PC--not going to happen.
kevinj6121
kevinj6121
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:20 pm

I'll buy a $500 desktop, sell it in 4-5 years for a hundred and save 350-400 in the cost of ownership......

I don't like apple products. Apple tends to want everything to come from THEM. People hooked on Apple products are BRAND loyal. They are sold on it, like some are on Coke or Pepsi.

I've been pecking away on computers since the PET commodore.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:19 pm

It is kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing where individual experiences and likes varies.  That was one of the key things my Sister said....use what you are already used to.  In my case, that would be a PC.

I think both systems can get the job done and like Freemind points out, a PC costs half as much to begin with so the resale value is pretty much a wash.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinj6121 Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Like anything else in life, Ya gets what ya pay for
kevinj6121
kevinj6121
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Most of the time, I agree with that adage. I am not sure it is always the case though once you factor in the brand name affect.

Case in point. I was shopping for a vintage practice amplifier a few weeks ago. It came down to a Fender VibroChamp and a Gibson GA-5T from the mid-60's. The are both nearly the same circuits, power outputs, and even same speakers.

The kicker is that one says "Fender" and cost twice as much for essentially the same amplifier. I bought the Gibson and never looked back.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinj6121 Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:13 am

while I agree the name brand "Factor" plays a part in the pricing of "products" Well known quality products got that way for a reason, because their known for building and selling quality products. Although black and decker makes a decent hand drill a dewalt or makita although a lot higher cost is still better and will last much longer "Nearly the same" is still not "the same" its like saying, dam, my sports team almost won that game, well almost doesn't count. Bottom line---I'm not knocking PC's or anyones opinion, I in fact have owned a PC since day one when they first hit the shelfs for consumers, I have never been without one and still use one everyday, I just like Macs better. a $500 pc after 4 or 5 years will not get you back $250 add 150 or 200 to that, go to walmart and get a new one with monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers thats a Fact
kevinj6121
kevinj6121
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:46 am

I'm snickering over here Kevin.

You know Black and Decker and Dewalt are made by the same company, right? You are paying a premium for brand name, bud.

It's ok if you love Apple. No one is knocking your choice. But in the world today, everything in made in China.

Not one "lifetime" wrench is made in America anymore. They are all made outside the US. No WAY they are the same quality or yesteryear. So what makes Craftsman better then PM brand?
Both have a lifetime warranty, both made in China.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 am

I actually didn't know that black and Decker and Dewalt are made by the same company, but for the sake of discussion, since the price is so different, don't you think Dewalt has better quality parts inside though ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by kevinj6121 Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 am

dp1 wrote:I actually didn't know that black and Decker and Dewalt are made by the same company, but for the sake of discussion, since the price is so different, don't you think Dewalt has better quality parts inside though ?

Think i'd have to agree with you on that, in fact a lot of things that sell cheap are most likely made buy a company that makes the same item that sells for more, only with better build quality and better internal parts. Thats just the way it is. A long time ago i worked for a Dairy company and drove a big refrigerated truck and delivered milk and dairy products to schools. Our products were sold to other companies, the difference was it had that companies name on it and of course the ingredients and formulas were different and they sold it for less $$$ of course. So if black and decker is made by dewalt You can be sure it does not have the same internals. Just ask any contractor/construction worker that puts his power tools to a lot of abuse which power tools he uses's, betcha he aint using black and decker. Maybe the weekend handyman might use black and decker. I'm a porty user but no way i'd use a rug doctor or bissel machine.
kevinj6121
kevinj6121
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devon07 Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:13 pm

I will tell you this....Dewalt has a version you can buy at Home Depot and a version you can buy at a quality tool store.....they play on the name at home depot. Don't buy everything at Home Depot guys.....use a Contractors Supply house and get the real stuff when getting tools! FACT!
Devon07
Devon07
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 pm

The thing about brand quality is that it is often true for a time and perception later. Harley Davidson doesn't build the best bikes, just the best marketing. Dewalt used to be the true contractor grade (Sioux was better back in the day), but no longer since they moved production to Mexico. Just look at Emglo who used to make great air compressors until Dewalt bought them and sent production to Mexico and now they are a middle grade product.

Apple used to be that top tier product, but I feel that they are more name now than what they used to be. Open one up and you will find the same parts that you find in a PC.

The difference with Apple is that they don't allow a lot of options like a PC so they can control the interaction of those parts and thus avoid the configuration issues that a PC can have. I don't call it necessarily better, but less hassles. Buying a Lenovo and only installing lenovo parts will do the same thing for me.

So for twice the money, you get a computer with less potential hassles of components conflicting. That is a good thing, but the days of the Apple being vastly better with speed and quality I think have passed about 8 years ago.....just look at all the screen recalls.

If I had the extra money, I would still probably go with Apple, just like I would probably go with a Harley, but I don't think the former great brands mean what they used to mean. That quality just isn't there.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 pm

dp1 wrote:I actually didn't know that black and Decker and Dewalt are made by the same company, but for the sake of discussion, since the price is so different, don't you think Dewalt has better quality parts inside though ?

Not really.

A contractor friend ONLY buy Ryobi stuff. He said it didn't matter the brand be bought, that all keep craping out WAY too soon. So he saves his money and buys Ryobi.

He knows tools are a write off, but he's sick of wasting money.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum