Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Putting out a fire

4 posters

Go down

Putting out a fire Empty Putting out a fire

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 pm

How quickly they turn on you in this business.

Last night's fiasco job is coming around to bite me in the butt. I had to clean a building that simulates a tropical forest environment (95 degrees and 82% last night). To make matters worse, the doors must remain closed so there is no air movement of any kind....rather miserable to work in actually.

This was the fourth time that I have cleaned it since April and it is always a nightmare to get any kind of dry times, but the place is covered in bat droppings the size of a soft-serve ice cream cone and extensive soil due to the dirt walkways that transition to the carpet. Yup, a real joy.

I just received a call from the building supervisor that they have been receiving complaints due to the "aweful smell". I asked if it still smells and to describe the smell to me...she said it is terrible but couldn't describe it beyond "aweful".

I called the Security staff and asked them to investigate for me and they reported that is smelled the same way that it always smells and that the carpets were dry. scratch

The lower level of the building is the area that she complained about the most and I now that it has flooded at least 5 times in the past 2 years without doing more than just drying with fans, so it isn't a surprise that there would be an odor in that area after cleaning since they never tended to the mold issue in the first place.

So now I have a facilities manager that is unhinged and asking if they should just tear out carpet in all of the buildings and replace with a colored concrete or tile....you know, the calm logical response. So, now I have to go down there in the morning and find a solution as well as have a chat with management on long term plans for their buildings.

I just have to decide if I want to wait until morning or go down there tonight to address the problem (if there is a problem at all). It isn't like I can toss a dehumidifer out to dry the carpet in a 38,000 sqft building kept like a sauna, but it is going to bother me all night if I don't.

Some days it is like training cats in this business.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Putting out a fire Empty Re: Putting out a fire

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Go in, asking probing questions. I would write this all down.
To get verbal acknowledgement that they just used fans for water damage.
And without pointing fingers, conclusion is"improper drying of carpet from WD ....".
Remedy is:???
Have a reasonable solution or 2 for them.

Bat dropping are that big??
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Well, unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do aside from heavy deodorizing, that will also adding more moisture which will add to already extensive dry times.
You know sooner or later they will tear the carpet up, that's when you tell them "well I can clean your colored concrete or tile for double or triple the carpet cleaning rate".
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 pm

They called me after the last flooding asking if I could "knock down" the odor then after the 4th day of being wet and Security tells me that it is a frequent event.

All I did that time was give it a light spray of Sporicidin and let the fans due the rest.  No more complaints the next day.

I didn't go down there due to a fever and intestinal issues, but I did ask security to walk around the place and look for any damp areas....they found none and still claim that it smells the same as always.

I will be meeting them down there with a pump up of Sporicidin and then we will need to have a long discussion about where carpet is a good idea and where it isn't.  This building is a no.

The problem that they have is that carpet is the only non-slip surface that they can install and since the floors are constantly  getting coffee and soda spills they will have to enjoy a ton of spot mopping as well as more frequent cleanings albeit easier to do than carpet.

I am going to suggest bamboo flooring actually as it might be the best option and fits the decor best.  I don't think they are going to find a perfect solution, but it sounds like my role is clearly about to change for good or bad.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 am

Bat droppings? Dude that can't be good for you. You clean it and that might the bats shit all over the wet carpet
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:48 pm

I have no idea what is going on now. I went down there early in morning, but the managers chose not to come in prior to just before opening. So, I guess I cared far more than they did.

I called back later in the day to find out the situation and never got an answer to it, but then they booked me to clean 480 chairs on Sunday.

The place just baffles me, but I do not plan on cleaning that building again under those conditions regardless. Not only was it miserable, but the clean up of the tools and tank after-wards was not fun....bat poop all over the hoses and my shoes.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down