Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

So far this month

+4
carpetdaddy
ODIN
milspec6
Ryan S
8 posters

Go down

So far this month Empty So far this month

Post by Ryan S Tue May 06, 2014 4:52 am

I have spent at least $2500 on Repair and maintenance on our vehicles yesterday. Still more to go. Had a radiator bust yesterday and breakes and roters and some kinda arm. Man, be nice if these vehicles would spend out the damage over a few months not all in one day or one month. The bill for the month is getting up there.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

So far this month Empty Re: So far this month

Post by milspec6 Tue May 06, 2014 7:24 am

I feel for you Ryan, went through that a few months ago and my van gets serviced along with a monthly oil change. Still can't always catch things before they fail.

Biggest problem with vans is the enclosed engine bay, mechanics don't like working on them and charge accordingly. I also think that a van is stressed pretty hard carrying all this weight daily. Both good reasons for a box truck in my opinion...tilt cabs make maintenance easier and the box trucks handle the weight better.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ryan S Tue May 06, 2014 9:15 am

ODIN wrote: brakes and rotors

just don't go out they give you lots of warning before it gets expensive.

I know, funny thing they were scrubbing when I got it back from the shop. Never and heavy brake dust or squeal. Mystery stuff for me.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Tue May 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Front wheel fell off one of my vans yesterday on the way to one of my techs first job. He was 27 miles from me so I drove my spare van to him so he could get going and I could wait for AAA. 15 minutes later the same tech called and told me the spare van was stalling out... Two vans in the shop. I gave him my van, and I have been working out of my 1995 jeep wrangler - just some estimates and had to clean my mom's carpets. Have already spent $4500 this year in repairs not including these two current bills. We are crazy busy, but it is crazy hard to make any money...  Crying or Very sad 
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Yep, when it rains it pours. I had to change van today too. The boxxer was getting stuck in heat mod and blew a hose. Swapped vans and bought three repair hoses. Lol.
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue May 06, 2014 5:45 pm

You guys prove the value of having a back-up van at your disposal. I had the valve fail on my butler that operated the hot water convenience hose (use it to fill sprayers with hot water) while I was cleaning.

It had me confused as I started losing water pressure in the middle of a job with another 4k feet of carpet to go. After checking for kinks, plugged lines, failed qd's, clogged jets, etc. I finally noticed the hot water dribbling beneath the van.

When the seal went on that valve, it depressurized the entire system! I had to do some fancy scrounging to locate a pipe plug that fit to cap off the valve. It was almost a lost cause.

Having a second van available is my new goal and why the TNT was sourced....I hate break downs without options.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue May 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Great mechanic that's honest is priceless, mine usually checks for brakes, brake fluids, radiator fluids, tranny fluids, etc, during oil change, all for $ 15 ( I supply the mobil 1 oils ), he was going to charge me $ 12 but I always give him $ 15 cash, no invoice needed, except for larger jobs ( brake job, transmission service, etc ). He's the only one I trust with all our vehicles, knock on wood, our vehicles been running great considering the tm weight and road condition abuse in my area.
Sorry to hear that Ryan and Joe, good thing is it's not summer yet, keep your chins up, once they're all fixed and summer is here, you guys will forget these ever happened to y'all.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed May 07, 2014 2:09 am

I think with all the equipment we run its kind of crucial in this business to know how to wrench on your van and machines.

see if you know someone who will teach you.

replacing a radiator is pretty easy stuff and then its only like a 90-100 job, you can pull rotors off and take them to o'reilly and they will turn the rotors for cheap(not sure if u guys have o'reilly but most auto parts stores do this).

the other thing is when a shop is working on your brakes they will always lean in the direction of replacing rotors because of liability, when many times you can resurface or just throw new pads on and be good for thousands of miles.

I know its busy season but saving money is making money
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pro Touch Wed May 07, 2014 9:16 am

I feel for you guys. I've been having a few issues, but nothing like that. If I couldn't do my own wrenching the bills would have been pretty big.

Ryan, if you ever need help, including using my van to get you out of a jam, let me know. I'm more than willing to help you brother.
Pro Touch
Pro Touch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed May 07, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks Eric. I got you on speed dial. I'll just send ya the work to do on time like that. It has happen a few times. But your my over flow referral guy for sure. Thanks
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

I must say, it is extremely hard managing crisis when your working in the van too. Makes me think about liquor a lot!   lol!

Lesley calls me an A$$ Hole on days like this.  laughing 
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Seaswril Wed May 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Buy new if you can and run it hard for 5 to 6 years sale it and replace! I have done this for 26 years and have little down time on repairs.

Seaswril

http://ShullsCapetcleaning.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 pm

The key to all repairs is having the time. If you don't have the time, every repair will go sideways on you and leave you frustrated fast....a good radio and well-timed drink helps a lot.

Seaswrill, as the years go by, I am starting to think that you are correct. It might very well be worth the added cost to buy new...less grey hair anyway.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed May 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Ya buying slightly newer used is the best.    Its more up front but you will also recover more when its time to sell.      If you do the math on it there is an ideal % of age of the vehicle,   say its known to go 300,000 miles on a motor,   then you should buy one around 60-80k and sell around 200k  

If your the last owner of the vehicle you will spend the most on repairs and recover the least when its time to sell it but save a little on the initial price.

Better to think of it as putting money in a bank,    you know youll get a certain amount back when its time to sell as long as you dont end up with high interest rate on a loan.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 pm

We have a 96 express and I would have spent the value of the van many times over

I did the water pump, AC clutch, lower intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets, alternator, rotors, radiator, heater core, all sorts of hoses... it only has 80k original miles on it, but age plays a big factor on these chevy vans.
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu May 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Ryan S wrote:I must say, it is extremely hard managing crisis when your working in the van too. Makes me think about liquor a lot!   lol!

Lesley calls me an A$$ Hole on days like this.  laughing 

Like looking at myself in the mirror, I always tell myself I'm a professional carpet cleaner, NOT a professional mechanic, but if you have the time and energy and effort, go for them :-)
Seasrill is right, I only buy new or almost new, like 1 or 2 years old with under 10,000 miles, drive it for 5 - 6 years and sell them, uncle Sam gives tax deduction anyway for new purchases.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down