Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Frozen cleaning for practice

3 posters

Go down

Frozen cleaning for practice Empty Frozen cleaning for practice

Post by milspec6 Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:49 pm

I had a new customer trying to schedule me for over 3 weeks now, but I was never able to find the time around the post office schedule. I finally committed to it about 5 days ago when the forecast was for 48 degrees today....except it wasn't. The actual temperature was 18 degrees after receiving some snow last night. The TM was winterized the van kept empty, but there were still some frozen lines to deal with, mainly the live reel and the feed line from my water tunk to the pump....both solid ice. I must have failed to push enough RV antifreeze through the live reel and I have never found a good way to protect the water tank as there is always a little water left behind and that braided feed line is on the floor where it is the coldest. Short of filling the water tank with antifreeze and pumping it through the system (tank is a sealed design) there just isn't much one can do except remove the line and store indoors.

Anyway, with the water tank iced up, I would have to connect a garden hose to the TM instead....except my hoses had some ice in them as well hanging up in an unheated garage. Normally, I bring all the hoses inside this time of year for this very reason, but since I am not cleaning much at all these days I just skipped it this time around. Not wanting to waste time thawing out hoses, I just bought a new one en route to the job.

It felt good to exercise the equipment and turn a 12 year old dingy poly into something that resembled carpet again, but it was a waste of time financially. The job was a truck minimum affair (living room, hallway, some steps) and once you deduct the cost of the new garden hose and RV antifreeze it was pointless.

I miss cleaning daily instead of carrying mail, but I do not miss doing it in below freezing temperatures. I am also glad that I don't have to keep a space heater going in the van 24/7 for 5 months so that I can respond quickly to jobs. That was an expense that I no longer have to accept. I think as the temps continue to drop this time of year, I may not miss the carpet cleaning biz all that much....at least not until Spring.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Frozen cleaning for practice Empty Re: Frozen cleaning for practice

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Frack!
Today I drove 20 min west; city maintenance turned water off on the block. No water.
I drove to my 2nd job that was( go back the 20 min +25 more).
After that I went back to the original 1st job; I got a mssg that water was on. When I arrived, I was told that 10 min after I left-they turned the water on.
2 jobs, almost half tank of gas, with all the driving. Oh how I wish I had a sprinter or a 7.2L diesel.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote: Oh how I wish I had a sprinter or a 7.2L diesel.

Until it was in the shop and you had to pay a diesel mechanic to fix it.....

NO desire to own anything diesel here.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Ive heard nothing but "7.2L are tanks"

One guy told me the 7.2L get 20+ mpg. Id save about $3k in fuel with all the driving i do.

which leads me to: IF a van reports getting 20mpg, but with 1000-1200lbs in the back. What could i expect to get as acuall mpg?
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

I like the Sprinters, but yes, repairs are very costly when they happen. It was the same way with my NPR, that transmission costs about $5000 to replace alone...that would hurt.

As for mpg, 1200 lbs in a Sprinter is nothing and that diesel would not even know it was there. The mileage would still be 20 mpg.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down