Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Blessing or Curse

+5
Rod S
Freemind1
Fuzzsucker
Ryan S
milspec6
9 posters

Go down

Blessing or Curse Empty Blessing or Curse

Post by milspec6 Sat May 24, 2014 3:33 pm

I was driving to the hardware store today and passed a sign that has been tempting me all day....."shop for rent".

This is a small single bay shop with small office that is located right on the main highway through town and next to both the gas station and car wash just feet away. Best part is that it is only 2 blocks from my house!!! I have been watching this building for the last 5 years hoping to see this go up for rent (other cleaner in town had been renting it).

I don't recall if it had a bathroom or water access inside, but the location is ideal for me. The only real problem outside of added costs is that it only has one small bay. I would still have to keep one van in my garage at the house and it doesn't really keep me closer to the clients than I already am.

Still, it gives me a commercial address and would allow me to get some of my equipment out of my garage for a change. Tough call....my house has an over-sized 3 stall garage, but is not heated so I have been working out of my brother's shop in the neighboring city during the winters. I see 3 options:

1. Rent this shop and store the other van at the house or off-site at my brother's shop.
2. Finish off my garage and install heat to store everything at home
3. Keep doing what I have been doing thus far.

Any thoughts?? scratch 
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Blessing or Curse Empty Re: Blessing or Curse

Post by Ryan S Sat May 24, 2014 3:52 pm

What's rent cost? Location on Main Street can bring some visual marketing. I rent a room for $250 month. Which is 8 minutes from my home and is located on Main Street in my area. The cost of a building my superceed the value. Don't get lost in the glamour the shop appeal.

Answer this question. Do you need it or not.

A side story on the topic. After I rentedy room, not long after my brother in law rented a shop a little larger than the one you mention. $900 a month. He lasted two months in the building.

Make a good dicision! Which you always do.

Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzsucker Sat May 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Are u planning on doing high end rug washing? Because that would be ideal for that. Otherwise a store front wont bring you any more money. Unless ur just dying to get out of the house away from distractions and demanding spouses...
Fuzzsucker
Fuzzsucker
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://thepremierclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 pm

What's the rent over a year period?
What improvements could you make to YOUR own property for the same money?

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat May 24, 2014 7:12 pm

All good thoughts....I am going to look at it tomorrow to find out what all the details are before I chase it down the rabbit hole.

This time of year I don't need another shop space, so the timing sucks. I really just need a small office somewhere to get a commercial address (wish there was a UPS store in my area) and then look to improving my garage before the winter.

Why the commercial address? I work 48-60 hrs per week at my day job, but still run the cleaning side at no less than 30 hours per week. They are both full-time occupations in my view, but when customers find that I still have that day job, they automatically view my cleaning as some sort of side-line gig for beer money. I've lost many contracts over that fact and many others who hire someone else assuming that part-time equates to low skill. That commercial address adds a more professional element to my business.

That being said, if it has water access and a sewer access...it becomes far more valuable than my garage in the winter. I will see tomorrow.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod S Sat May 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Wow what other job do you have? Do you have a employee that runs your carpet business?
Rod S
Rod S

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat May 24, 2014 8:40 pm

No f/t employee, just me running the show. I have 3 part timers and one sub that I lean on to get things done. That is why I chase commercial work mostly as it allows me to schedule nights and weekends.

As for other job? Armed security and Incident Investigator for a nuke plant.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod S Sat May 24, 2014 8:51 pm

you are a busy guy. Good luck in your decision.
Rod S
Rod S

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Seaswril Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 am

I would finish off shop and keep things under one roof. If you rent something its not just rent its: Power Bill,Insurance,Phone,Up keep etc.. Put that money into your home,at least you could get that back if you sale it.

Seaswril

http://ShullsCapetcleaning.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun May 25, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for the sound advice gang....the rent was pretty high, so I am going to just improve my garage instead this summer.

You all saved me from myself on this one.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by OneBlueSummer Sun May 25, 2014 10:18 am

Odin nailed it! That's my biggest goal is to get into a house asap. Probably gonna look like a glorified outhouse .. but I don't care.

Ps.. you ever gonna go full time cleaning, or do you secretly love the armed job too much. Do you think you are less stressed in life knowing you have a steady job to fall back on? Or would you be less stressed with full time business . Now that I'm finally busy I feel way less stressed than any job I've ever had.
OneBlueSummer
OneBlueSummer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 am

OneBlueSummer wrote:Odin nailed it! That's my biggest goal is to get into a house asap. Probably gonna look like a glorified outhouse .. but I don't care.

Ps.. you ever gonna go full time cleaning, or do you secretly love the armed job too much. Do you think you are less stressed in life knowing you have a steady job to fall back on? Or would you be less stressed with full time business . Now that I'm finally busy I feel way less stressed than any job I've ever had.

Actually, I hate the day job...always did, tired of carrying a gun my whole life and the hours are horrible. The hurdle for me is health related. I went full-time once and ended up in surgery losing some internal organs and living on oatmeal and toast for years. They weren't related, just bad timing and that is what scared me back to the day job as I am not as invincible as I once thought I was.

I operate under almost the ideal business environment right now with very limited competition, but the thought of running into another health issue without strong insurance scares me greatly. I have finally improved my diet and strength and planned on quitting my job last month, but along came the surprise glaucoma diagnosis and now I am back to start.

The day is coming, believe me, but the day job still provides just enough to keep me putting up with the negatives. Ask me again at 4 in the morning while I am standing in the rain and I might give you another answer.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Sun May 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Wow, you sound like one tuff guy. You've been through a lot. My advice?
Put the money in to insulating and heating your 3 car garage. You can get a return from your garage. The rental money you will never recoup. Stay where you are. The most important choices are often the ones you don't make.
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sun May 25, 2014 1:05 pm

"The most imprtant choices are often the ones you don't make"

Well put, sir....I am going that route. Great advice all around.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum