Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

3 days & 3 nights

+4
Ryan S
Davey Cracker
ODIN
dp1
8 posters

:: Forums :: Off Topic

Go down

3 days & 3 nights Empty 3 days & 3 nights

Post by dp1 Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:04 am

Well there's a reason why I hate commercial work and after an estimate of $ 4500 for a 12,000 sq ft carpets and 600 sq ft hardwood floors and a couple hundreds sq ft of linoleums, they asked if I can match a competitor's rate of almost $ 3300 and I think I was thinking about having mai tai on maui beach when I said yes to that, lol.
So the hell starts tonight, estimate of completion 3 nights of 6 - 8 hours / night, I still have to work the day shifts to cover my tech that I put for that night shift, if I can get 12 hours of sleep or a little more between tonight and wednesday, I'm considering myself lucky and blessed, wish me luck.
If I can find a water faucet down in the garage, I can probably cheat a little by getting it done with my truckmount, that might cut it down to 2 nights instead of 3 nights.
The wood floors is buff and re finish job, it's been a while since I did hardwood floors job, how long do you think it's going to take me and a tech to finish that ?
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

3 days & 3 nights Empty Re: 3 days & 3 nights

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Oh that brings back some memories.....and not necessarily good ones either.  laughing  So I know what you're talking about, as I've had a couple like that before.

The last one just a year ago, similar in area, but just all carpet. It was scheduled over 3 nights and had to be completed on the last night to met an important deadline. By the last night on the job, and after unexpected delays, we still had a lot of work to do to met the mandatory deadline (and of course, these jobs always seem to come along when you're busy as hell with day work too, at least for me). So on that last day/night, after working all day, we show up at 6pm to finish, hour after hour ticked by, and then finally about 5am Finished!.....It was surreal, as I went out to my van to load up the equip and the sun was coming up, I had been working almost 24 hrs straight!  Sleep 

This kinda hell was much easier when I was in my 20's, but now mid 40's it just about killed me!!  laughing And it took me about 3 days to recover and get back to feeling normal again.

The good part about this one last year, was I didn't have to discount my price, and when you get that 4k check it seems to somehow make you forget about the hell it was earning it!  laughing 

Let me know if I can help you out in someway, DP.  wink 
I have the Zipper now, just used it for the first time yesterday on a residential job, but I could tell commercial it's where it's really going to shine.
Although I'm not sure how much help I would be, as I'm really busy with day work right now, and wouldn't survive that staying up all night crap!  laughing 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:12 pm

ODIN wrote:your going to make a shoot load of money in a short time and your bitching?

No sir, bitchin' is NOT my job, that's yours and all republicants every single time Obama even move a finger  laughing 

I simply am sharing and STATING that I hate commercial job, bitchin' about it would be whining over and over of how the job suck @$$, etc, see the difference ?  wink 
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:Oh that brings back some memories.....and not necessarily good ones either.  laughing   So I know what you're talking about, as I've had a couple like that before.

The last one just a year ago, similar in area, but just all carpet. It was scheduled over 3 nights and had to be completed on the last night to met an important deadline. By the last night on the job, and after unexpected delays, we still had a lot of work to do to met the mandatory deadline (and of course, these jobs always seem to come along when you're busy as hell with day work too, at least for me).  So on that last day/night, after working all day, we show up at 6pm to finish, hour after hour ticked by, and then finally about 5am Finished!.....It was surreal, as I went out to my van to load up the equip and the sun was coming up, I had been working almost 24 hrs straight!  Sleep 

This kinda hell was much easier when I was in my 20's, but now mid 40's it just about killed me!!  laughing And it took me about 3 days to recover and get back to feeling normal again.

The good part about this one last year, was I didn't have to discount my price, and when you get that 4k check it seems to somehow make you forget about the hell it was earning it!  laughing 

Let me know if I can help you out in someway, DP.  wink 
I have the Zipper now, just used it for the first time yesterday on a residential job, but I could tell commercial it's where it's really going to shine.
Although I'm not sure how much help I would be, as I'm really busy with day work right now, and wouldn't survive that staying up all night crap!  laughing 

Thank you for the thoughts sir, sometimes just a nice thought and offers to help goes a long way to make someone feel better and energized, and yes everything you said pretty much sums it up, they always come when you're busy as hell, the problem with this one is the painter is coming in on tuesday night, I hate working in the middle of another contractors, hopefully we'll knock them down in 2 nights, we'll see.
I lost interest on the zipper a while back, don't like dealing with someone that doesn't stand behind their product and pick and choose which questions potential customers have to answer, I can keep going on and on but I'm going to get ready for this job, see y'all in 3 days, be good y'all.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Knock em out killer!
Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:49 pm

dp1 wrote:.........................I lost interest on the zipper a while back, don't like dealing with someone that doesn't stand behind their product and pick and choose which questions potential customers have to answer, I can keep going on and on but I'm going to get ready for this job, see y'all in 3 days, be good y'all.

I couldn't agree more.

But if it's a tool that makes cleaning easier and/or faster for me, at my old age lol then I'm interested in at least checking it out, w4hich is what I'm doing now.....but I can't say I'm in a hurry to drop 2k on it, guess will see....I should know if it's for me or not in a week or so, because I have a good Variety of jobs this coming week to test it out on.

May the force be with you, DP!!......If I can help out anymore, questions or whatever let me know!!  wink 
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carpetdaddy Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:00 am

depending on your process - three to four hours on the floor with one coat of urethane, five to six hours with two coats - includes two hour dry time between coats.
carpetdaddy
carpetdaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.CarpetDaddys.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:23 am

I feel your pain, just finished 10k sqft of commercial about 3 hours ago and have started my 13 hour day job after a brief nap. The secret is avoid caffeine and keep moving. Let your body provide the adrenaline and don't eat a large meal. It works, do it every week.

As for the job, your original price is close to my market, but commercial always tries to make you get cheaper. The good part is that you are working steady so you make a good deal of money without gaps.

I am a little slow on wood floors, so it would take me about 10 hours including dry times. I would expect that you are looking at 22 hours on this job....pretty taxing on the body.

Think of it as a competition, attack it and show the kids how it is done! Good Luck.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Well boys, the job was done early this morning ( 1 am ), I've put 8 hours in the first night with only 1 tech working 5 hours, second night 1 tech 5 hours, 1 tech and myself 7 hours each, so total time spent 15 hours, the carpets actually more like 14,000 sq ft and the total is closer to $ 3500 Laughing 
Regarding the wood floors, been 5 years since I used a 175, so I'm embarassed to say that I could not operate the darn thing, it kept going to the left, not sure if it's too much hp or I'm just really rusty, to avoid damage to the floors, we ended up scrubbing the floors with maroon pad manually ( mop stick and pad ), the overall condition is not bad at all, so we put about 3 hours total on the wood floors with 2 coats, an hour between each coat, seems like the floors absorbing the finish really quick. Btw I'm using powr flite black max buffing machine and one more thing that's weird was the maroon pads kept slipping out of the white cushion pad, anyone has an idea why ?
I know my old 175 that I no longer own has 0.5 hp and this one is 1.5 hp, is it too much power for wood floors ?
Well, in 2 days and 2 nights I've worked approximately 36 - 37 hours and slept 10 hours total, I'm tired but not exactly exhausted, Rob is right, even though I didn't see his response until now, I've been eating smaller portion and drinks lots of water.
Thanks guys for all of the responses :-)
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan S Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Awesome!!!!!

That's a great feeling. I do this stuff every month. When it's behind me I feel like I'm wearing a cape.

Ryan S
Ryan S
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Outstanding job, knew you would come out smiling!
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Floorguy Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:40 pm

really rusty....left is what it does normally, and you weren't "lifting" enough to make it go right....

though the trick is to make it "float"
Floorguy
Floorguy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.paynelessfloorcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ( miller ) gerry Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:16 pm

DP, great job.

( miller ) gerry
Active Poster