Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Spring is almost here

+3
dp1
Davey Cracker
milspec6
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spring is almost here Empty Spring is almost here

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm

It might still be 18 degrees outside with snow flurries, but I had my first meeting with a commercial client to discuss plans for 2015.  I was expecting them to scale back this year, but they surprised me....increasing coverage and frequency this year!!  

Next month's dance card is filling up rapidly with 8-12k sqft jobs....looking like about 7 buildings in all.  There might even be an IMAX theater on the schedule, so if you regret missing out on that theater Mo, just come on down and enjoy hell with a wand. Laughing

It sure feels good to survive another winter in business and even better to see the Sun shining on the horizon....bring it on!
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Spring is almost here Empty Re: Spring is almost here

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm

That's great, glad to hear the account got better rather than what you were expecting.

I had a meeting myself yesterday, with a new commercial customer to do monthly maintenance cleaning and yearly restoration cleaning for their 50k facility. With 30k+ of cleanable areas including carpet/VCT/tile. I'm actually overwhelmed by the shear size of it, and wondering if it's even something I can handle really, and a bit stumped on how I should proceed.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:That's great, glad to hear the account got better rather than what you were expecting.

I had a meeting myself yesterday, with a new commercial customer to do monthly maintenance cleaning and yearly restoration cleaning for their 50k facility. With 30k+ of cleanable areas including carpet/VCT/tile.  I'm actually overwhelmed by the shear size of it, and wondering if it's even something I can handle really, and a bit stumped on how I should proceed.

Sounds like it is time to pick-up a second rig or else a good sub. I actually prefer the good sub at first unless you have the work to support the second van during the rest of the time.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Ummm, helloooo, great sub is waiting here, throw some my way as we discussed yesterday Razz

Rob, great to hear that, that's a very good sign of better market, they will not increase if they're not doing better cheers
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

It was definitely the icing on the cake this week. Nothing has broken down and the phone is ringing again.

I'm still working on a deal to get the restrooms at the Zoo this year. They lack proper ventilation and end up smelling like a porta-jon by July. We spoke about it each year, but I haven't convinced them yet.

I figure that I could run teams out there at night, knock out a bathroom in 15 minutes with each crew and move on. Best part is that there are over 300 bathrooms....you do the math. bounce

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm

dp1 wrote:Ummm, helloooo, great sub is waiting here, throw some my way as we discussed yesterday Razz..................

I know, I know wink, I'm just still overwhelmed by the shear size of that account.

If I can pull it off, it would be a huge amount of money monthly I'm sure......probably fund my retirement. laughing

Last edited by Davey Cracker on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 pm

milspec6 wrote:
Davey Cracker wrote:That's great, glad to hear the account got better rather than what you were expecting.

I had a meeting myself yesterday, with a new commercial customer to do monthly maintenance cleaning and yearly restoration cleaning for their 50k facility. With 30k+ of cleanable areas including carpet/VCT/tile.  I'm actually overwhelmed by the shear size of it, and wondering if it's even something I can handle really, and a bit stumped on how I should proceed.

Sounds like it is time to pick-up a second rig or else a good sub.  I actually prefer the good sub at first unless you have the work to support the second van during the rest of the time.

I've discussed it with DP, and he and his guys are willing to help........I just need to get my head around an account that big.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:35 pm

The only way to eat an elephant is with lots of small bites.

Once you break it down into sections, it will not be that bad. Sure sounds like a 401k stuffer to me. Very Happy
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Look at it this way, that 30k is only 7500 sqft per week.  That equates to one extra day per week of cleaning with a sub....two days solo.

It also makes for a very good account!
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by TimM Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:16 am

Thats awesome Milspec.
TimM
TimM
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://magaw.org/PriceIsRightCarpetCleaning/

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:50 am

milspec6 wrote:The only way to eat an elephant is with lots of small bites.

Once you break it down into sections, it will not be that bad.  Sure sounds like a 401k stuffer to me. Very Happy

That's actually the best advice I've heard, and I completely agree on once a week thing, if you're willing to drive to Claremont every week you can actually knock them down yourself with a helper, which I'm willing to share my employee with you if he's OK working with a big control freak jerk like you, lol, j/k Razz
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:05 am

Davey Cracker wrote:
dp1 wrote:Ummm, helloooo, great sub is waiting here, throw some my way as we discussed yesterday Razz..................

I know, I know wink, I'm just still overwhelmed by the shear size of that account.

If I can pull it off, it would be a huge amount of money monthly I'm sure......probably fund my retirement. laughing
Retirement OR hospital bill. ? Had a big one years ago, still have nightmares about getting it done.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:09 am

milspec6 wrote:It was definitely the icing on the cake this week.  Nothing has broken down and the phone is ringing again.

I'm still working on a deal to get the restrooms at the Zoo this year.  They lack proper ventilation and end up smelling like a porta-jon by July.  We spoke about it each year, but I haven't convinced them yet.

I figure that I could run teams out there at night, knock out a bathroom in 15 minutes with each crew and move on.  Best part is that there are over 300 bathrooms....you do the math. bounce

300 bathrooms?! That for people or animals?
Saw a video about doing bathrooms. Spray everything down with a cleaner/disinfectant then hose it off and sqweegee everything into the drain. Yep, about 15 minutes.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 pm

The 300 bathrooms are for visitors. It is crazy how many there are and most are just 2-3 stalls in size.

I will be trying to nail that down on Monday...it would sure be nice to get that going in March.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:25 pm

where do you guys draw the line with commercial to the point of where it becomes janitorial?

I know some offer janitorial services and can be a good way to grow your business, but as an owner operator or a small company is it really worth it to take on bathroom cleanings in large buildings like that?

ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:18 pm

I draw the line at the tile...no toilets, sinks, mirrors, etc.

Like you, I don't see any value going beyond that.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:37 pm

I once had a great account doing general cleaning in addition to cleaning the carpets in a large complex making units rent ready.

But got burnt out on it, and now only stick to floors.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:05 pm

I work with another home cleaning company out here, I throw them apartment cleaning, small cleaning job, here and there in exchange for them referring carpet cleaning work to me, it works out great, originally he wants commissions for referring carpet cleaning work and I had agreed on that, but he backed out from asking commission when I refer a cleaning job to him without asking him for commission, now I think he had referred more work to me than me to him.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:47 pm

I refer some cleaning work to my house cleaners but not enough they still want 10% of the first carpet cleaning they refer but it way worth it
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:50 am

Meeting over.....7 buildings (over 80k sqft total) scheduled over 5 days.

Maybe I shouldn't have wished so hard? That will be a long week next month, but 2015 is looking really good as the quarterly buildings are now going to monthly cleanings.

Now if it would just warm the heck up!
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Wow, nice Rob. wink

Can I ask how the price per sf for really large jobs like that compares to a smaller, lets say 1,000 sf job?

I'm just trying to get an idea on where I should be at per sf on the large bid I'm working on.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:Wow, nice Rob.  wink

Can I ask how the price per sf for really large jobs like that compares to a smaller, lets say 1,000 sf job?

I'm just trying to get an idea on where I should be at per sf on the large bid I'm working on.

Most places that size, set their budgets in October, so they base it on what the last guy was charging. If you are much higher than him, they will walk or just schedule far less cleanings. In most manager's eyes, volume equals discount pricing, so you often end up losing a couple of cents off the price to clean that 1,000 sqft. As long as they set good terms (payment in 2 weeks, flexible scheduling, etc.) I give that discount.

I have always taken the approach of getting them to view you as a long-term solution. It makes it easy on their scheduling and after the first year, you can look to increase your rate with the next budget. I like to offer them a 3 year contract with a fairly low rate under the current budget, with scheduled increases with each subsequent budget.

Right now, I just received an email asking me for my new rates now that we have reached the end of that 3 years. It will include the normal rate increases on what looks to be a 2 year contract this time. I didn't even start the conversation, they have been "trained" to just budget the increases.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm

So on a large monthly account like that you're only a couple cents cheaper than you would be on a 1000 sf job?.....If I read that correctly? Seems good, if so.

The problem I've noticed around here is guys are willing to do large commercial jobs for stupid low prices, like less than .10 a sf sometimes. When for instance and example I'd usually be in the .20-.30 sf range for a job a 1000 sf...so going down to .10 sf., even if a larger monthly job, .10 sf seems like a price that would be hard to offer and still make a profit.
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Don't ever drop it down like that....a couple of cents should be plenty. I don't think I have ever dropped more than 3 cents from my standard commercial price.

Just like in residential, there are those that offer the dirt cheap pricing. When I started this contract years ago, there were 2 companies willing to do it for 8 cents!!

For a commercial manager, he wants simple things: Trustworthy; Reliable; Insured; and Reasonably priced. When a company throws out a low-ball, they know it will not come with those things.

Remember that you have an ace on commercial...you are dealing with a person who understands business and the costs of doing business. If you can ensure him/her that you will be reliable, you will carry the day.

I don't know what the pricing is in your area is, so I couldn't say what to bid. If you are getting .20-.30 now, then you should be in the .15-.25 range, I would guess.

Even in this area, there is no way that I would work for .10....no way at all.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Ok great thanks for all the help.

Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down